Lacto
Ovo
Breakfast
South African
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. A South African cafe with labeled vegan options including create-your-own vegan breakfast. Confirmed closed, Mar 2018.

Venue map for The Caffeine Drip
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by craigmc

BBV

Points +49

Raw
12 Sep 2019

A truly remarkable eating experience!

I can’t rate this place high enough! I love everything about this comfortable, trendy and hospitable eatery. The staff are so welcoming, friendly and warm. The atmosphere is unique and homely. The setting is comfortable, down to earth and bustling. AND THE FOOD!!!!!! the vegan options are delicious, generous and cooked to perfection. I walk away seriously full and completely inspired! Thanks guys!

Pros: everything

Cons: nothing

LelaCoco

06 Feb 2018

Amazing

I had the vegan club sandwich and i realy enjoyed it. It is not expensive and they have a lot of vegan options. Definetly worth a visit.

missi.moo

Points +22

01 Jan 2018

love it

Had heard great things about this wee place and finally managed to get myself there a couple of weeks ago, it's now a regular spot for me to grab lunch in between shifts.
There is loads of vegan options. So far Ive only had the vegan wrap, sandwich and vegan rashers (& added avocado) roll. All really good. Need to try a vegan burger soon! And the tofu scramble!
The coffee is great too :)
The staff are super friendly, even when they are crazy busy, like today- New Year's Day!
Seems like a great choice if you're looking for somewhere with non vegans too

Pros: delicious food, great coffee , friendly staff

Layra

Points +720

24 Oct 2017

Amazing vegan french toast

First of all, the soycappuccino was delicious and, even though I ordered the regular size, quite big. The vegan french toast with fried banana (ask to add cinnamon) was mind blowing! So delicious and filling. The two slices of sourdough bread were huge, perfectly crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Go there and try it. Please. Staff was extremely friendly.

La1a

Points +285

22 Oct 2017

Epic vegan brekkie

This is the place for breakfast / brunch in Edinburgh, absolutely hands down. Great vegan options and incredibly decent portions... you will be well set up for the day. Bonus is that they also serve Mheat bacon which is absolutely scrumptious, a real treat.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Mheat bacon, Big portions

HappyLot

Points +49

19 Jul 2017

5 stars. Delicious!

Lunch here was great! Had a burger with pineapple and teriyaki and it was so good! The staff was very friendly and the vegan options were clearly marked on the menu. Really nice place. I would give 5 stars if I could because it was perfect.

Pros: clearly marked and many vegan options, absolutely delicious , friendly staff

RJS

Points +191

02 Jul 2017

Great little vegan friendly cafe.

Great laid back cafe, clearly marked vegan options on the menu. We had the vegan French toast with fried bananas and maple syrup and the Tofu scramble with avocado. Very tasty. Selection of plant milks. Almond milk was sweetened.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice atmosphere, Lovely staff

Cons: Smallish, Bit expensive, Serves meat

Mandz2000

Points +84

29 Jun 2017

Top notch vegan brekkie!

Good friendly cosy atmosphere. Went in to shelter from the rain and enjoy a delicious vegan brekkie and wasn't disappointed. Nice chunky tofu scramble, fried fresh mushrooms not overly done, spinach cooked to perfection so hadn't become slimey, roasted tomatoes on the vine that were sweet and cooked just the right amount to bring out the flavour, tasty vegan sausages, and classic chunky toast, with a huge pot of tea and soya milk served in a very cute mini milk bottle. It seems expensive at first until you see and taste it and then you realise the quality and time spent on it. They'd even thought to put up coat hooks on the wall around the place for those 'rare' days when everything needs to dry out. Highly recommend. Would give 5 stars if could.

Pros: delicious and plentiful vegan options , free wifi, off the beaten track

Cons: quite small but nobody seemed to have trouble find

SarahGibby

Points +18

30 May 2017

Deserves 5 stars!! AMAZING burgers!! & Cake!!!

Went here with my friend and had the best vegan burger I have ever had in my life!! Loved the atmosphere and decor. They also had a couple vegan cakes/sweet treats to chose from. Absolutely could not fault the place!

Pros: Excellent food, Fast service, Large portions

neil7908

Points +436

Vegetarian
01 May 2017

Great vegan burgers

A real shame this place cant more than 4 stars and I'd wager it has more vegan choices than a lot of completely vegan or vegetarian restaurants or cafes!

A really good selection of breakfast, lunch, cakes and coffee with clearly marked vegan items. We tried the classic burger with sweet potato fries and both were excellent. Big portions so that we could split that between the two of us.

The other burgers sounded great so we'll be back to try those, as well as breakfast.

Pros: Tasty burgers, Lots of options, Location

Cons: A little expensive

Misscakeup

Points +30

02 Apr 2017

Nice little cafe but expensive

Good choice of vegan options- we only had breakfast but noticed lots on the lunch menu and plenty of cakey bits downstairs.
Only downside was the price- we paid £28 for 2 breakfasts and 2 hot drinks as the build your own breakfast is charged per item.

Ksis

Points +1046

02 Apr 2017

Deserves 5 stars!

The Caffeine Drip was great. My boyfriend and I came here twice during our trip. The first day we missed breakfast by 15 minutes, and had to order lunch. I got one of their vegan paninis and it was delicious! Warm and gooey like you want.

Today we came back for breakfast, since that's what our heart was set on. I got their vegan French toast, even though I'm not usually a big French toast fan. (In the States, French toast is always way too sweet for my tastes.) It was delicious! Both fluffy and crispy, and not overly sweet. I added maple syrup on the side which was the perfect sweet/savory combo. Their vegan haggis was also really good - though I don't know how much like the real thing it was since I've never had it ? but would recommend getting it! I also had their streaky rashers (bacon) on my panini the first day and it was well done too.

Absolutely recommend this place. I also love that they do all kinds of food, both vegan and non, and don't just give one or two meh vegan options - they have whole sections of menu dedicated to it!

My only word of advice is the dining area is small, so it can fill up quickly. We got lucky both times but if you're able to do take away, it's good to be open to it!

Revy93

Points +65

16 Mar 2017

Awesome breakfast

me and my hubby (both vegan) came here for breakfast after ready great reviews on happy cow and it did not disappoint, some of the best food I've ever had if you get the chance definitely go.

Pros: top quality food, friendly staff, cozy environment

Cons: expensive

KatieBatty

Points +1476

16 Feb 2017

Hella good vegan breakfast!

I really loved this place - so many great vegan options!

I got the vegan french toast with fried banana. This was the best french toast I've ever had! Very eggy coating on the bread, nice thick slices and the fried banana was delectable. I only wish I had more maple syrup as my partner was hogging it!

He ordered the create your own vegan breakfast with tofu scramble, mheat patty, toast and margarine, and chutney. Scrambled tofu was great, quite an eggy flavor, chutney was amazing and it's definitely worth including the mheat patty as an extra!

They've also got vegan baked goods including flap jacks, plus heaps of other great sounding stuff we didn't get a chance to try.

Definitely worth 5 cows but can only give it 4 max coz they serve meat.

Pros: Great vegan options clearly marked

TrixieFirecracker

Points +3918

31 Dec 2016

Amazing vegan breakfasts

Review from May 2016. This place is really easy to get to - by bus from Glasgow it's close to the stop before Princes Street. I'd never have known how amazing it was unless I'd seen a photo of their breakfast options posted online by a fellow vegan. You can build your own breakfast (vegan or not) and pay for additional sides. I opted for French toast made from a chickpea scramble, with veggie haggis and fried smoked tofu. They have lots of drinks including ice cream floats (not marked vegan) and smoothies. I opted for a 'Cola Coffee' which was a double espresso with cola, ice, and lemon. It came in a jar (I have no qualms at hipster-ish nice things, there are worse things to be labeled!) and was delicious!

They had 6 vegan cakes on offer, including a variety of flapjacks - which I would probably have shunned if it had been the only cake option - and I chose the 'Lotus' chocolate tiffin. I could taste the lotus Biscoff flavour from the chunks of biscuit as soon as I bit into it - so good!

Service was great and although they don't normally take reservations they'd very kindly agreed to hold a couple of tables for us this morning. Seemingly the two owners have gone vegan themselves recently. :) I loved the decor of the coffee bags which covered the walls our little alcove area. The toilets were also quite quirky with cartoon images of toilets on the cubicle doors. Handdrier wasn't great, but I'll forgive them for that. I would definitely recommend, and go back if the opportunity arose.

Pros: Huge variety of vegan options, Unique decor, Interesting drinks

Cons: Can't make a reservations

anniemalsx

Points +156

20 Dec 2016

Amazing vegan burgers

Went here for lunch. I had the African vegan burger and my boyfriend had the happy cow burger with sweet potato fries. We also had a vegan hot choc with almond milk each. AMAZING! Such good food, and one of the best vegan burgers I have had in the UK. I wouldn't get the African burger again just because I don't think it was as tasty as the happy cow, but we were both very happy. Worth the price!

Pros: Amazing fake meats, Best hot chocolate, Nice decor

Cons: Not much space inside, Very busy

Vrellian

Points +56

28 Nov 2016

First visit for vegan food

I've visited this place for coffee before but following their recent advertising for their new vegan burger range I realised they did vegan food too. I had the blue cheese burger which was delicious and by far the best non meat burger I've had so far. It didn't come with fries or a side salad so was a little pricey at £11 for a burger on its own. My girlfriend had a vegan haggis wrap which was also very tasty and a bit better priced. She also had s vegan hot chocolate and I had a vegan mocha. Drinks come with a choice of soya, almond or coconut milk. I'd definitely go back but probably not for a burger due to the cost. But I'd love to try some of their other vegan options.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Very central of you get hungry in the centre of Ed

Cons: Vegan burgers are a bit pricey, would be more reas

frankensteinsmonster

Points +1211

28 Aug 2016

Go for the French toast

Liked the French toast too much to make a pun on this one. Have the French toast, and the vegan haggis is also really good - 850 for the two.

Almond lattes also not to be sniffed at - one of the party thinks it's the best coffee in Edinburgh.

Pros: French toast, friendly waitstaff

Cons: not even veggie

Rebeccajane

14 Aug 2016

breakfast

Took my mom here for breakfast before leaving for the airport. I had never been before. I ordered the vegan French toast with banana and maple syrup as well as the avocado toast. It was very good! Didn't manage to finish it as it was very sweet but enjoyed it all the same. Very friendly staff. Overall i would say it was a success. Will be back for lunch sometime as the lunch menu looks amazing!

Pros: lots of vegan option

Veganolive1

Points +4429

25 Jul 2016

Vegan Options Are Excellent

The Caffeine Drip is a cool South African cafe and bakery, with plenty of vegan options. . I have never seen chickpea scramble on a menu and along with spinach, avocado and a huge mug of Americano coffee, it was delicious.

There are sandwich and cake options and apart from being fit to burst, the flapjacks on the counter would have been very tempting.

The Caffeine Drip was very busy and we were lucky to get a table, people were coming in and leaving, as there was no room. Highly recommended and next time, it will have to be the vegan French toast.

Pros: Vegan breakfast, Vegan wraps and sandwiches, Vegan cakes

Rupaul

Points +38

19 Jun 2016

must see

If you are in Edinburgh then you must visit TCD. They are very accommodating to vegans, with various options available for breakfast and dinner. Soy/almond milk is available. Sells a variety of delicious cakes. Quite expensive, but worth the visit.

Pros: delicious, lots of options, cool decor

Cons: price , gets quite busy

brewskie

Points +24

15 May 2016

yuuùummmmmmmm

great place great atmosphere . friendly helpfull staff . not exclusively veg/ vegan but plenty of tastey options and as the owner is vegan they take great care with your food and the vegan menue is still expanding . will come back next time im in edinburgh

Pros: good amount of options and understanding and helpf

catsandbolts

15 May 2016

Awesome Sauce

Whilst not a vegetarian/vegan place I would've given this cafe 5 stars. The vegan food was plentiful and clearly marked and they made the best soya cappuccino I've ever had. The manager was super friendly and very keen on expanding the vegan options available. I had the wild mushrooms on toast with avocado and oh man... SO GOOD. My partner had the vegan breakfast and was able to pick exactly what he wanted which is a great idea. Both plates cleared in seconds. Got vegan tiffin to go and will definitely be coming back.

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Clearly labelled, Freshly made

craigmc

Points +31996

29 Apr 2016

decent brunch

a decent cafe offering a brunch with plenty of scrambled tofu options.

a selection of tray bakes and deserts marked as vegan, soups normally have vegan option and they have couple of specific wraps/sandwiches available.

if you are in the western end it's worth popping. it is very popular at brunch, so you may have to wait.

Pros: vegan options, staff, location

Cons: meat