The Caffeine Drip

Contact 01315389579

10 Melville Place, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH3 7PR

Serves meat, vegan options available. A South African cafe with labeled vegan options including create-your-own vegan breakfast. Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-4:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, South African, Non-veg

First Review by craigmc

Hella good vegan breakfast! - Edit

I really loved this place - so many great vegan options!

I got the vegan french toast with fried banana. This was the best french toast I've ever had! Very eggy coating on the bread, nice thick slices and the fried banana was delectable. I only wish I had more maple syrup as my partner was hogging it!

He ordered the create your own vegan breakfast with tofu scramble, mheat patty, toast and margarine, and chutney. Scrambled tofu was great, quite an eggy flavor, chutney was amazing and it's definitely worth including the mheat patty as an extra!

They've also got vegan baked goods including flap jacks, plus heaps of other great sounding stuff we didn't get a chance to try.

Definitely worth 5 cows but can only give it 4 max coz they serve meat.

Pros: Great vegan options clearly marked

Amazing vegan breakfasts - Edit

Review from May 2016. This place is really easy to get to - by bus from Glasgow it's close to the stop before Princes Street. I'd never have known how amazing it was unless I'd seen a photo of their breakfast options posted online by a fellow vegan. You can build your own breakfast (vegan or not) and pay for additional sides. I opted for French toast made from a chickpea scramble, with veggie haggis and fried smoked tofu. They have lots of drinks including ice cream floats (not marked vegan) and smoothies. I opted for a 'Cola Coffee' which was a double espresso with cola, ice, and lemon. It came in a jar (I have no qualms at hipster-ish nice things, there are worse things to be labeled!) and was delicious!

They had 6 vegan cakes on offer, including a variety of flapjacks - which I would probably have shunned if it had been the only cake option - and I chose the 'Lotus' chocolate tiffin. I could taste the lotus Biscoff flavour from the chunks of biscuit as soon as I bit into it - so good!

Service was great and although they don't normally take reservations they'd very kindly agreed to hold a couple of tables for us this morning. Seemingly the two owners have gone vegan themselves recently. :) I loved the decor of the coffee bags which covered the walls our little alcove area. The toilets were also quite quirky with cartoon images of toilets on the cubicle doors. Handdrier wasn't great, but I'll forgive them for that. I would definitely recommend, and go back if the opportunity arose.

Pros: Huge variety of vegan options, Unique decor, Interesting drinks

Cons: Can't make a reservations

Amazing vegan burgers - Edit

Went here for lunch. I had the African vegan burger and my boyfriend had the happy cow burger with sweet potato fries. We also had a vegan hot choc with almond milk each. AMAZING! Such good food, and one of the best vegan burgers I have had in the UK. I wouldn't get the African burger again just because I don't think it was as tasty as the happy cow, but we were both very happy. Worth the price!

Pros: Amazing fake meats, Best hot chocolate, Nice decor

Cons: Not much space inside, Very busy

First visit for vegan food - Edit

I've visited this place for coffee before but following their recent advertising for their new vegan burger range I realised they did vegan food too. I had the blue cheese burger which was delicious and by far the best non meat burger I've had so far. It didn't come with fries or a side salad so was a little pricey at £11 for a burger on its own. My girlfriend had a vegan haggis wrap which was also very tasty and a bit better priced. She also had s vegan hot chocolate and I had a vegan mocha. Drinks come with a choice of soya, almond or coconut milk. I'd definitely go back but probably not for a burger due to the cost. But I'd love to try some of their other vegan options.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Very central of you get hungry in the centre of Ed

Cons: Vegan burgers are a bit pricey, would be more reas

Go for the French toast - Edit

Liked the French toast too much to make a pun on this one. Have the French toast, and the vegan haggis is also really good - 850 for the two.

Almond lattes also not to be sniffed at - one of the party thinks it's the best coffee in Edinburgh.

Pros: French toast, friendly waitstaff

Cons: not even veggie

breakfast - Edit

Took my mom here for breakfast before leaving for the airport. I had never been before. I ordered the vegan French toast with banana and maple syrup as well as the avocado toast. It was very good! Didn't manage to finish it as it was very sweet but enjoyed it all the same. Very friendly staff. Overall i would say it was a success. Will be back for lunch sometime as the lunch menu looks amazing!

Pros: lots of vegan option

Cons: none

Vegan Options Are Excellent - Edit

The Caffeine Drip is a cool South African cafe and bakery, with plenty of vegan options. . I have never seen chickpea scramble on a menu and along with spinach, avocado and a huge mug of Americano coffee, it was delicious.

There are sandwich and cake options and apart from being fit to burst, the flapjacks on the counter would have been very tempting.

The Caffeine Drip was very busy and we were lucky to get a table, people were coming in and leaving, as there was no room. Highly recommended and next time, it will have to be the vegan French toast.

Pros: Vegan breakfast, Vegan wraps and sandwiches, Vegan cakes

must see - Edit

If you are in Edinburgh then you must visit TCD. They are very accommodating to vegans, with various options available for breakfast and dinner. Soy/almond milk is available. Sells a variety of delicious cakes. Quite expensive, but worth the visit.

Pros: delicious, lots of options, cool decor

Cons: price , gets quite busy

yuuùummmmmmmm - Edit

great place great atmosphere . friendly helpfull staff . not exclusively veg/ vegan but plenty of tastey options and as the owner is vegan they take great care with your food and the vegan menue is still expanding . will come back next time im in edinburgh

Pros: good amount of options and understanding and helpf

Cons: none

Awesome Sauce - Edit

Whilst not a vegetarian/vegan place I would've given this cafe 5 stars. The vegan food was plentiful and clearly marked and they made the best soya cappuccino I've ever had. The manager was super friendly and very keen on expanding the vegan options available. I had the wild mushrooms on toast with avocado and oh man... SO GOOD. My partner had the vegan breakfast and was able to pick exactly what he wanted which is a great idea. Both plates cleared in seconds. Got vegan tiffin to go and will definitely be coming back.

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Clearly labelled, Freshly made

decent brunch - Edit

a decent cafe offering a brunch with plenty of scrambled tofu options.

a selection of tray bakes and deserts marked as vegan, soups normally have vegan option and they have couple of specific wraps/sandwiches available.

if you are in the western end it's worth popping. it is very popular at brunch, so you may have to wait.

Pros: vegan options, staff, location

Cons: meat

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Caffeine Drip closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.