The Cafe

Contact 305-296-5515

509 Southard St, Key West, Florida, USA, 33040

Serves meat, vegan options available. Key West restaurant offering vegetarian, vegan, and fish. Has breakfast food, veggieburgers, vegan chicken, faux sausage, tofu parmigianan with pasta, tofu benni, spring rolls, seitan, fresh juices, organic wine.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Great find in the Keys - Edit

Key West has a lot more vegan options than where I live. This place was willing to work with us. Gave us dinner at lunch time. Our daughter wanted spaghetti marinara vegan. Not on menu. They did it for us. Also, we had our first ever key lime pie #vegan. memorable

Pros: Willing to work with us

Cons: Not vegan

Great vegan options! - Edit

This is definitely a place for vegans and veggies. While there are some fish options, the menu is clearly marked what is vegan or not. Plus, the staff are very accommodating when requesting items like half vegan cheese and half not (for the wife).
I highly recommend the place.

amazing vegan options - Edit

i had the veggie burger bites and they were A M A Z I N G. i also had a vegan pizza with daiya mozzarella cheese on it. (my brother ate all my leftovers and thought it was regular pizza!) they have great homemade lemonade and all their desserts are vegan. 11/10

Pros: vegan options, gluten free options, cute place

LOVEEEE - Edit

The food was absolutely amazing! We ate several dishes and none of them disappointed. We had 3 different dishes of stir fry and hands down the best stir fry we have ever tasted. The tofu tacos were delicious! Our kids loved the pizza. A local told us about this restaurant. Thank goodness we had the opportunity eat there.

GO-TO! - Edit

Extensive menu clearly labeling things gluten-free or vegan. Very friendly staff. Had about 4-5 vegan desserts, a couple gluten-free. I highly recommend the veg/gluten free chocolate pudding. Staff very friendly. Pleasant environment. Convenient.

Pros: YUMMY, Clearly labeled dishes, Friendly

Super yummy! - Edit

I had the grilled eggplant pesto tomato sandwich with vegan cheese on Chibatta roll with sweet potato fries. My husband had the mahi mahi sandwich. The watermelon cucumber lime juice was amazing !!!

Pros: Great vegan options, Magical Watermelon Juice

Delicious vegan food in Key West - Edit

This is a funky little cafe with friendly and helpful servers. The menu has many vegan dishes which are clearly marked. I had the wok fired bok choy appetizer which was great, and for my entree, a special, butternut squash stuffed with quinoa, spices, and other ingredients which I now can't recall, but I do remember it was wonderful. I would highly recommend this place.

Pros: Many veg and vegan choices which are clearly marke, good food and good service

Great food, great stuff - Edit

Food was excellent. Went there few times during my stay for dessert, juice or breakfast. Best key lime pie I had in life. And I think only key lime pie availableon the whole island. Desserts on a bit pricy side.
Had 'egg" benedict which they just used tofu for (never had one from my pre-vegan days so not sure how it should taste or look)
portion was huge so food was well worth it for the price.

Pros: great taste, lots of choices

Cons: price

good key west option - Edit

All of the dishes I've tried here have been tasty. The stuffed acorn squash and tofu udon bowl in dashi were both flavorful and satisfying. I do find it slightly annoying that certain substitutions (like daiya) incur a charge while my tofu dish cost the same as the version that came with clams. The $19 I paid was not entirely unreasonable as it could've served 2 (I couldn't finish it and I had arrived very hungry), but I thought it was still a bit high for a vegetable dish at a casual place. Service was disappointing. My sister and I both work at a vegan restaurant, so we are familiar with the industry. Despite being one of two tables, we were ignored while the staff chatted by the bar and I had to wait 15-20 minutes before a server checked up on us and I could ask for a spoon for my soup. I could've interrupted them at the bar, but that's not my style. I expect more attentive service when dining out during a slow business period.

When an Indian family was seated, I heard their server boast loudly about how the cafe serves no meat (obviously he assumed they were vegetarian, as we had received no such introduction). However, the cafe is only pescetarian, and I think it is disingenuous to portray themselves as veg when they still participate in the killing of fish and other sea animals. Virtually every other Key West restaurant focuses on sea "food"... is it too much to ask for a fully vegan restaurant?

Pros: good food, many vegan options, large portions

Cons: pricing structure, slow/poor service, serves animal products

bad service - Edit

I had dinner here with some friends. The place is nice, the location good. However... The service is really bad. I ordered a sandwich and asked for the vegan cheese, but they did not have it. My husband ordered a dish and it was not available either. It's annoying when you choose something in the menu and they say (two times in one minute): sorry we don't have it. The sandwich was average, nothing special. Moreover, we had to move to a different table, one of our friends was served only when we all had finished to eat... The only good thing was the vegan key lime cheesecake. Just because it's vegan. Disappointing experience.

Pros: location

Cons: bad service

Great Find in a Not-So-Vegan-Friendly Town - Edit

Loved having so many options, plus sangria, mimosas, and a huge beer list. We had the tofu Benedict and the "chicken" salad sandwich. Both very good. The Benedict had a somewhat spicy, curry-like sauce. I guess the wanted to put their own spin on Hollandaise, though I prefer a traditional flavor. The breakfast potatoes were out of this world, just perfectly cooked and seasons. Fun atmosphere and delightful staff.

Pros: Many vegan options, Sangria, Friendly service

great for breakfast - Edit

Lots is veggie and vegan options along with egg options. I had the veggie scramble with tofu - lots of good veggies along with roasted potatoes. My husband had the vegetarian sausage gravy and biscuit with tofu scramble. He liked it so much he had two orders. Sausage is only vegetarian since its made with egg whites. We both had a mug of the house made kombucha -- very tasty. Will definitely be back.

Pros: vegan options, breakfast

Outstanding food and atmosphere - Edit

We visited this place once a day for 2 days while we were in Key West and were lucky to be there on Sunday Brunch day. The biscuits and gravy were amazing with a side of vegan sausage. Our table neighbors had the chick'n (cauliflower) and waffles and it made me wish there was another brunch day so that I could try it again.

Truthfully we were underwhelmed with Key West vegan/vegetarian options in general but the Cafe more than made up for that with its tasty treats.

Pros: Brunch, Key lime cheese cake, Funky sheek decor

Cons: Brunch only on Sat and Sun, Can only think of pros, NA

Absolutely Amazing - Edit

This place does not disappoint - the vegan options were plenty and the flavors were incredible. The food is so well priced and filling! Will definitely recommend and will likely be going back before gals vacation is through!

The fired Bok Choy, gyoza dumplings and Kung pao tofu were off the chain delicious!

Well Done :-) - Edit

We were really happy to find a vegetarian alternative amongst all seafood and meat restaurants in Key West.
Great variety, local beers and fine service.
Recommendation!!!

Pros: Variety, Service, Local Beers

Friendly and good, but portions way too big - Edit

I eat a lot, but I honestly have to say that the portions at this restaurant are WAY too big. No one at our table finished the meal, and there was no indication that any of our items were meant to share/large portions. Reducing the portions would eliminate waste and costs, for sure.

The food is delicious, but definitely ask about sharing/how big the item is that you want to order.

PS-lots of vegan dessert options.

Pros: Vegan desserts, Friendly, Delicious

Cons: Portions are obscene

Great Vegan Meal - Edit

We visited The Café on a recent family trip to Key West. My husband and I, the vegans and our family found the food excellent and the staff very accommodating of our dietary preferences. Our omnivore children (adults), however, were unimpressed, even though we've had plenty of successful vegetarian meals with them at other places.

Great find! - Edit

We were very happy to stumble upon this little gem in Key West. We ordered the brown sugar squash and a spinach and tahini salad. The latter was amazing.
Everything on the menu is clearly labelled with Vegan or not so no interrogating the waiter about ingredients.

so good I delayed my trip home to eat there again - Edit

Ate lunch here on the day before I was leaving for home and had to go back again. I delayed my trip home the next day to go again. Friendly staff. Great vegan options.

Pros: many delicious vegan options

Terrible Service, And I'm a LOCAL - Edit

I am tired of people treating clients as if they were of a lesser species. If you do like people treating you and making you feel this way The Cafe is the place to go to!

Wanting to be proven wrong, I have returned now several times, hoping things would change, and quite honestly they haven't, won't and I have come to terms with it.
As a local, I was treated rudely by the staff and was "stood up" by our waitress for an entire hour once, serving THREE tables who had arrived after the fact we ordered.
This happened when we had visiting guests, and felt humiliated to have recommended such a restaurant. I'm not sure what has happened to this venue, but what a complete disaster. What was once a favorite venue, has sadly turned into a "avoid-at-all-cost" restaurant.

HELP YOURSELF is a much better choice and has a friendly staff that will never fail to say hello, smile, and serve you with respect and grace.

As much as I love the idea of having more vegetarians and vegan restaurants, the hospitality shouldn't be overlooked and forgotten, especially in such a touristy environment like Key West possesses.

Pros: Vegan, Vegetarian, Fresh

Cons: Overpriced, un-friendly staff, False Advertisement

A Great Choice for Key West - Edit

This is my go-to place for Key West. Many ethical vegans may be upset that this is a vegetarian restaurant serving fish, but I must say that with sooooo few options on this island, I am thankful for The Cafe. There are PLENTY of vegan options and the staff is very well versed in addressing the food and any concerns you have. Most veggie options have a "veganize it" option which is usually substituting the cheese for cheez etc. I had the Seitan Peppersteak Sandwich and it was AMAZING. Also the Spinach Gyoza Dumplings were very good. Also had the pizza of the day ( veganize it ) and it was DELISH! The astmosphere is cozy and the staff is attentitive. Same folks working there for the past several years. In an island chock full of really crappy "fried food in a basket" restaurants, The Cafe is a solid choice. Also - if you are with your non veg family, try taking them. The comfort food selections willl surprise and delight them.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options. , Warm & Cozy atmosphere, Really good food.

Cons: Tables a little close for comfort

Amazing Cafe In Centre Of Key West! - Edit

Visited this place for lunch today & was so impressed! Loved it so much! It was very eclectic, quirky & colourful! There was a huge amount of choice for veggies & vegans on the menu. I was super impressed that they even had vegan Mayo! The freshly squeezed lemonade was to die for & so refreshing on a hot day. A must visit if in Key West!

Pros: Central location, Delicious choices for Veggies & Vegans, Comfortable seating & air con!

First Stop in Key West - Edit

Having arrived very hungry in Key West, we headed directly to The Café for lunch. My parents had cleverly given us a gift certificate. We happily enjoyed the good drinks and food. Vegan and gluten-free dishes are clearly labelled.

Pros: Lots of choice, good food, nice atmosphere

Cons: not bad, but not super friendly

Good Options - Edit

A great Key West Vegetarian
experience!
We started with the fried Asian Dumplings (crunchy), the chickpea, quinoa & Kale soup (savory), the Vegetarian Burger Special, the signature Falafel (nice flavor & creamy), the Artichoke Sandwich (unusual with a nice mix of spinach, peppers & portobello mushroom between a hardy multi-grain bread) and the Caesar Kale Salad (fresh, cheesy & the dressing had a nice zing).
For dessert we tried carrot cake (nicely spicy) & chocolate mocha (nice raspberry surprise).
Our favorites were the Caesar Kale Salad and the Falafel and
Our server, Cori, was nice & attentive.
The restaurant was packed with a great group of veg-heads & had a nice Bohemian vibe.

delicious!! - Edit

We came here on a family vacation (myself, my fiancé and my 2 1/2yo son, all vegan!) and his parents who flew in from Germany (omni). We stayed 3 nights and have eaten here every night (his parents the last two because of how delicious!). The staff is friendly and the vegan options are delicious! The vegan key lime was out of this world!

Great!! - Edit

I was so happy to find this gem in the midst of all the dang "seafood" around here! The restaurant does serve tuna, dairy and eggs, but has many vegan options. I had the Artichoke Sandwich and it was wonderful. Prices are reasonable for the area at $10 for a sammie. Service was friendly. Location is perfect right off Duval.

Pros: Vegan options, Locations, Service

amazing - Edit

Great food, lots of it, portion-wise. I couldn't finish and I was hungry. Very tasty options and a wide range. Juices are great and refreshing. Wine and beer. Decor was chill and it seemed like a nice crowd. Owner is Aussie (I think?) and very nice. Super cool place.

In the midst of all the tourism, a gem! - Edit

My girlfriend and I were in a rush and called to order for pick up. Even though the veggie burger and kale salad were 20 minutes old in our hotel room, the meal was fantastic. The curry-lime and orange mango vinaigrette dressing were superb. And the watermelon-cucumber-lime juice and lemonade mint drinks were some of the best drinks we've had on the trip!

We went back the next day and had brunch. The only disappointment were the portion sizes. Too big! Perhaps they can charge less and serve less. My girlfriend ordered the Eggs Benedict, and there were way too many potatoes and the Eggs Benedict portion (the bread) could have been smaller. I get that you want to please the customer, but a veggie friendly place should serve moderate plate sizes and not encourage overeating (and wasting of food). But perhaps since most of the clientele are American tourist, the portions are needed to keep its main customers happy.

Otherwise, The Cafe is a fine restaurant establishment. If I'm ever to return to Key West, I'll be sure to eat there once a day. And drink a pint or two of their mircro-brews when it's not too humid.

Pros: Watermelon-cucumber-lime juice!, The beer on tap!

Cons: Portions are too big!, Tough to find parking.

Vegan Key Lime Pie :) - Edit

This is a very cute relaxed restaurant. The food is good with HUGE portions. None of our food was to die for, but still it was very good. The Key Lime Pie was incredible though and it's worth a trip to this place just for that. I honestly could not tell it was vegan. Just make sure to tell the waitress if you're vegan b/c some of the sauces served with the vegan dishes contain dairy.

Pros: vegan desserts

Chips or fries.... ? - Edit

Key West is perhaps a little stereotyped for it's culinary reputation, consisting mostly on citrus based desserts. Our recent visit to the area did little to change this view except when we visited 'The Café', Southards excellent vegan friendly eatery.
A minor oasis in a desert of 'me too' menus, the choice in 'The Café' was a refreshing change, offering some excellent vegan dishes including a fabulous vegan burger, complete with homemade sweet potato chips; or as the locals call them, fries. So tasty it litteraly brought a tear to our eyes......
For those who have eaten out too often and have nothing more to say to each other ;-) there are some interesting works of art aournd, created by local artists. A rare treat indeed!
Everything considered, a 'five cow' recommendation, although it is not 100% vegan.

Pros: Vegan desserts, Stupendous value, An artists delight

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Would benefit from more fresh air

Satisfying brunch - Edit

My partner and I came here on a Sunday afternoon when they were serving the brunch menu only, which was okay since there were still quite a few vegan options to choose from. We settled on the tofu benedict and the vegan "chicken" curry salad sandwich. They were both pretty good, but the latter definitely stood out in terms of flavor and portion size. The bean salad side dish was also very tasty. The best part, though, was the housemade vegan cakes they had - minty chocolate, red velvet, carrot, coconut, etc. YES, ALL VEGAN, and sans artificial coloring to boot. They also boasted to offer the only vegan key lime pie in town. After having caught sight of the chocolate cake for another table, we just had to get one, and boy was it delicious! It came in a hearty serving as well that was perfect for sharing.

We thoroughly enjoyed our brunch. The prices were on the high side (even the simple-looking salads were all $10+), but the food quality and the vegan-friendliness made up for it.

Pros: good food, all vegan cakes

Cons: slightly pricey for what you get

Fantastic food and service! - Edit

I was so happy I made it here on my visit to Key West! The food was bursting with flavor! The staff made suggestions for portable food that would be good to take out on a boat. I will definitely be going back again before my week here is up!

Best Cafe in all of Florida!!! - Edit

SO HAPPY to have found this! The only problem was deciding what to order. Everything looked so fantastic and everything we ordered was too. SO many choices, including beer, wine and a few organic selections too. Would recommend this to anyone. By far the best food I have eaten anywhere in Florida or just about anywhere.

great place - Edit

My husband and I were in Key West for the Half Marathon this past January and with both of us being vegan we found this place. The food there was amazing, very flavorful and the portions were perfect. The desert was to die for! You can't get vegan key lime pie any other place on the island and it was amazing! The service at night was excellent while the service in the earlier afternoon was ok. The waitress was a bit unattentive and forgot to put a addition on my sandwich. Other than that, I would recommend this place. The atmosphere was comfortable and welcoming. We were in Key West for 4 days and we ate there everyday.

Pros: excellent food, many choices, friendly

Cons: long wait for dinner service

fantastic! - Edit

The iced soy chai is an absolute must! The veggie sausage pizza is the best I've ever had. You can get it vegan. They hv daiya cheese.

Went here twice on out trip & would have eaten here every day if we had the chance.

Street parking out front. Pay at box, put ticket in window. Be careful not to hit the chickens & roosters in the road out front.

Delicious!!!!! - Edit

We are there twice on vacation this week. DELICIOUS! First time got the veggie sandwich and falafel sandwich. Second time got the curried "chicken" (vegan) salad and falafel sandwich again with the cold peanut noodles as an appetizer (my husband and I share). The falafel is AMAZING and the curried chicken salad to die for great. Veggie sandwich ok, nothing to write home about. The cold peanut noodles were also great. Quaint, eclectic atmosphere, the staff are super friendly.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 09, 2013

Pros: Vegan options/relaxed atmosphere, Falafel and curried chicken salad, Downtown Key West

Cons: Wee bit pricey

awesome food - Edit

This place is great. Really friendly staff, cool atmosphere and the vegan food is amazing freshest creative veggie based options I've seen in awhile. They even have several dessert options that blew us away

Pros: vegan, atmosphere , staff

Yummy! - Edit

So refreshing to find a restaurant in Key West that has more than fish! I'm vegan, my husband is not and we both loved this restaurant. They had a LOT of vegan & seafood choices - it was just perfect. Artsy, cute, friendly & I hope to go there again soon!

Pros: Nice Vibe, Friendly, Large Portions

Cons: A bit small, A bit pricey for the vegan food

Good enough to eat there twice - Edit

This is a very busy restaurant and it appears to be more locals than tourists. They also seem to do lots of takeout. The meal we enjoyed most was the Falafel with fries and a beer. We were there on the weekend which apparently is busy time. The staff are friendly and the place has a nice sense of energy.

Pros: Lots of vegan choice, Good comfort food, Friendly atmosphere

Truly Amazing - Edit

We ate here twice during our three day stay in Key West. The first night we ordered the seitan pepper steak sandwich and replaced the cheese with Daiya to make it vegan. It was so good that we got the same thing the second time around! We also tried the un-wing dings which were also very tasty. We ordered the vegan chocolate raspberry cake to share and had to bring some home because it was a huge slice. We're already planning another trip to Key West so we can visit The Cafe again! The service was good and the waitress even remembered us on our second visit.

Must try - Edit

One of the best place I have ever eaten! So many choices. Generally our veg food comes from a hole in a wall. This is a charming place with character and friendly service and awesome food. I wanted to try their whole menu. But we had Stuffed baked eggplant(unique & delicious), Stir fry (amazing), gyoza dumpling(yum),Stuffed peppers and more.All great! Definitely recommend it.

awesome variety - Edit

The veggie burger (made in house), served with a chickpea salad, was super tasty and filling. The only non-vegetarian items are seafood & dairy, my boyfriend enjoyed a Mahi sandwich. This place is a MUST for vegetarian/vegan's visiting the Keys! Draft & bottled beer available.

Pros: vegan options, beer options

Cons: small tables

Delicious food! - Edit

I recently stayed in Key West and this was the first restaurant we ate at. We ate here 3 more times during our stay, and weren't disappointed a single time. I had their falafel, curry stir-fry (which was so huge I saved it and had it for my next two lunches), and veggie burger (twice). Everything was delicious. The waitstaff were all very pleasant and accommodating. My only complaint is that I had their vegan cheesecake for dessert one night, and it was delicious. However, when we came back another night the waitress mentioned that it was not, in fact, vegan. I didn't get too upset about it (what's done is done), but that's kind of a simple thing that a restaurant like this should be able to get straight. Besides that though, I highly recommend The Cafe.

Bad Management, Rude Staff - Avoid if there are on - Edit

If there are only 2 of you then be prepared to be treated like 2nd class citizens. You will be ordered to only sit at a table for 2 (which are uncomfortably small) and if you dare challenge this order you will have the maitre d' in your face telling you to move. And then the waitress will also tell you to move. Unbelievably rude staff. We were treated in this way when we arrived at 8:30 pm and were told we would be moved if a large party came in. There were plenty of other tables available and the restaurant was set to close at 10:00 pm. Come on, was this kind of treatment really necessary? After 10 minutes of this abuse we just walked out. Cafe needs to change its seating policy for couples - or get bigger tables. Oh, and replace some of those waitstaff while you're at it!

Cons: Bad attitude, Rudeness, No professional courtesy

Favorite Vegan Food in Key West - Edit

My wife and I (both vegan) recently visited Key West for vacation. We ate at the Cafe three times for dinner. All of the dishes we had were excellent. I had the Artichoke Sandwich (twice) and the BBQ Tofu entree. My wife had the Udon Noodle Bowl, the Vegan burger, and a Sausage Pizza. We had a slice of Carrot Cake for dessert (it took us two nights to eat it). The food was always great. The vegan items are clearly marked on the menu, and it is a nice cozy place to eat dinner. The only negative is that they are closed on Sunday.

Pros: Great Food, Lots of Vegan Options, Reasonably Priced

Cons: Closed Sunday

Great Food - Edit

We had lunch at The Cafe during Christmas week. Was really happy with the food and service. Everything we had was very tasteful and served with great presentation.

Pros: Exelent food, great service, healty cruisine

The Cafe - Edit

After a trip down to Key West. I used Happy Cow to find a plac eat. We found The Cafe, which was very close to where we were staying. The food was great, service was great. I read some previous reviews about them not having certain things. Location can be a problem when it comes to the style food they have so keep that in mind. BUT THE CAFE IS WELL WORTH IT!

Pros: Great location, Wonderful Food

Cons: NONE

Great Food and Service - Edit

I had dinner at The Cafe with 3 non-vegetarians in June 2010. The service was excellent. My boyfriend and I shared our entries which were both excellent. We ordered the szechuan stir-fry with seitan and the couscous and quinoa stuffed acorn squash. The waitress warned us that the szechuan was spicy and it was hot, perfect for our tastes, but would probably be too spicy for some. The two other people in our group had the PEI mussels and tuna and both said they were delicious.

Pros: variety of options, service, food quality

Cons: pricey

favorite place to eat in Key West - Edit

This was the first "vegan-friendly" restaurant that I tried in Key West. For my taste, hands down the best I found. Vegan options plentiful and clearly marked, my fish eating friend was happy too. Great beer list! Often veggie restaurants don't offer alcohol. Prompt and friendly service. Cozy atmosphere. When we arrived just before lunch, the place was mostly empty. Then it quickly started to fill up, so I am not the only one who likes it. Thanks!

Cold vibe - Edit

I really wanted to love this restaurant but the fondest memory I have was the cool corner moroccan style seating area we got and the dessert. The wait staff was cold and undereducated on some of the dishes. My husband wanted the seitan sandwich on rice instead of bread and was told it couldnt be done (even though you could choose which kind of bread you wanted). We didnt understand why this dish could not be made without the bread. A good restaurant will be more than happy to modify any recipe to please their customer. I got the tofu piccata. They veganized it for me. The picatta sauce was excellent but I thought the tofu could've been done with a littel more imagination. It was just sliced out of the box and baked for a little while so it was slightly crispy on the outside and typically soft and mushy in the middle. As other reviewers have mentioned, they were out of a couple of desserts. I can understand this being a very once in a while problem but this is sounding like it happens a lot. That is not cool. The dessert I did have was the vegan coconut ginger cake and it was fabulous. The portion size of the dessert was extremely generous, that was a big plus. And vegans understand how important dessert is :)

Overall, I wouldnt rush back there again, mainly because of the cold vibe and wicked slow service.

Pros: vegan options, dessert portion, funky decor

Cons: Slow service, cold waitstaff

Decent food, horrible service - Edit

I'm a strict vegan and I was pleased to find a restaurant in Key West that has more vegan options on the menu than not. That said, it was quiet Saturday night with the restaurant at less than 50% capacity and apparently that's what they were serving tonight. Each time our waitress tried to take our order, she'd say, "Sorry, that's not available tonight." Finally, I asked her, "Are there any other items not available?" and she added a few more.

The food: The Falafel special with caramelized onions and zucchini was great- as good as any I've had in the middle east. The Bruschetta were very good- fantastic bread. The stir fry was over-done-- WAAAAY too hot-- and somewhat burnt. The spinach Gyoza were overdone and oily.

Then, when we were going to order dessert, the waitress says, "I'll tell you up front that we're out of apple pie." So we looked over the menu, and when she returned to take our orders, I ordered the coconut ginger lime cake to which she replies, "We're actually out of that tonight, too!" I mean, you can't make this stuff up! Unreal. My husband ordered the Warm Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and he said, "it tasted like it was a Drake's Cake or Entenmans' Cake. Almost like the devil's food portion of a ring ding."

We won't be going back even though we're here in town for a few more days.

Pros: Many options for vegans, healthy cuisine

Cons: service, service, taste of the food

Cafe The - Edit

I've eaten here a few times over the last few years and I must say that this is the best, albeit semi-, vegetarian restaurant in the Keys. We've always had great food and service. I imagine the restaurant thrives off of tourists, and having fish on the menu helps bring them in. They serve beer - including from my favourite brewery: Dogfish Head. Although, I'm sure, most of the ingredients have to be trucked in from the mainland, I'm told that they do make their own seitan. Bravo!

Pros: Tasty Food, Great Service, Great Beer

nice staff - Edit

someone wrote a review with a bad experience with the staff - ours was the exact opposite when we visited the cafe in april. we had a very nice waitress.

the food, a veggieburger for my boyfriend and the bbq tofu plate for me, was good, but nothing fabulous. the food was beautifully presented, but unfortunately laked a bit in taste.

Pros: nice staff

Cons: a bit tasteless

LOVED The Cafe! - Edit

What a pleasant surprise to find vegan delights in Key West! This cool little Cafe offers a comfy island oasis to those seeking vegetarian & vegan options in a town where they still think fish is a vegetable... The "Veggie" Veggie Burger is unique and wonderful, the Lotus tea tofu over green tea noodles was outstanding and the seitan steak rocked a mighty rocking! Chef Keith is friendly and accessible, helping me to feel right at home. I ate at the Cafe daily during our vacation and, if it weren't for the four-hour drive from Palm Beach County, I'd still be eating and relaxing daily at the Cafe. I'll definitely keep coming back for more! - Keith Berger, Boca Raton, FL

Pros: Fantastic food, Comfortable, Relaxed atmosphere

Great food - Edit

They advertise this restaurant as "almost vegetarian," and we weren't sure if we wanted to eat there. We looked at their menu in the window and saw things like pepper steak and chicken. We went inside and asked about it. The staff person said that these were meat analogs. The "almost" is because there are two or three fish dishes on the menu.

I had the pesto pizza (the cheese had no animal rennet) and my husbamd had the BBQ tofu plate. Both were delicious, and portions were so large that we brought some back to our rental cottage to heat up for lunch the next day.

Service was good, and the restaurant location is right in the heart of all the Key West action.

Pros: great food, no smoking, big portions

Cons: not 100% veggie

Good food.... not so good service - Edit

Me and my huband are vegetarians so we were excited to have lunch at all veggie place. We ordered a kous kous in a squash with raisins which was fabulous we also ordered a sip and a bread (I dont remember the name) which was O.K. and the sangria was damn good. but the worst part of the whole experience was our waitress. She didnt get our appetizer and when my husban reminded her she said "Oh! I wasnt sure if u wanted that!!!" woooow no appoligies nothing after that all we recieved were frown from her She never came back to ask if we were good or wanted something else..... If someone asks me I would definitely recommend this place but plz stay away from that ill-mannered woman!!!

BEST VEGAN RESTAURANT IN KEY WEST - Edit

We love the Cafe. It is my favorite restaurant. If we get a chance to eat out my husband doesn't have to ask me where I want to go if the Cafe is open. If your a Vegan you need to give it a try, and you will agree.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

I love this place - Edit

I can't believe I haven't written a review for The Cafe yet! Living in Key West isn't so easy for a vegan, but The Cafe makes it all ok. My friends and family are probably sick of going there every time we go out, but I love it so much! The good thing is that they do have a fish dish or two and some non-vegan items, so no one is totally thrown off. I usually get a stirfry, the brown sugar baked acorn squash, or one of the awesome salads. I haven't had the falafel in ages because I remember it not being very good the first time I had it, so I tend to steer clear. If anyone tries it and it has improved, please let me know!

Pros: Awesome waitstaff, Delicious food, Lots of variety

Cons: Noisy when busy, Don't have crayons for drawing anymore:(

Excellent! - Edit

The Cafe is one of the few places in Key West that truly caters to vegetarians. They even have a lot of vegan options. Their veggie burger is vegan out really, really good!

Pros: Good vegan selection

Cons: In the Keys - they run out of stuff!

The Cafe, Key West - Edit

I was taken to this place by my friend who I was visiting and enjoyed it so much I wanted to go back the next day. Great tasting food, superb portions, great atmo, plenty of vegan choice. A shame it isn't 100% vegetarian (most of the menu is). Good opening hours also. If it was 100% vegetarian I'd have given 5 out of 5.

Pros: Tasty food / big portions, Plenty vegan choices, Nice staff / atmo

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian

Return to Key West Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6516 times since Aug 2007.