The Butcher's Son

Contact 510-984-0818

1941 University Ave, Berkeley, California, USA, 94704

Vegan delicatessen. Prepared meals are available as well as "cold case", "meats", and "cheeses" sold by the pound. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-8:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-5:00pm. Closed Wed.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by JoshHyatt

Don't miss ! Delicious burgers and sandwiches - Edit

We tried the fried "chicken" and "grinder" (in the picture I said it's pulled "pork", but it's not, it's "grinder") burgers, with potato salad and macaroni salad - absolutely delicious.

Initially I was afraid the plant based meats might taste too much like animal flesh, but happily their dishes are flavorful and delicious without resembling meat at a freaky level.

For dessert we tried the cannelloni with pistachio, this was the highlight of our meal, so full of flavor !

Apparently one of their best dishes is fried "mozzarella" and "meatball" sandwich, unfortunately they were out of "mozzarella" when we went there.

We were very happy with everything: food, service, location. Can't wait to go back and try their famous fried mozzarella burger.

[UPDATE]
We tried the mozzarella & meatball sandwich, it's amazing, don't miss!
Order with a pickle on the side.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-02

Pros: Delicious, 100 % vegan, mozzarella & meatball sandwich

Vegan deli - Edit

I stopped in for lunch with two other friends. We were really excited to try everything and had a hard time deciding. We ended up with the pulled pork with macaroni salad, sriracha pepper steak sandwich with potato salad and the fried ravioli and mozzarella. It was very tasty although I thought the pulled pork's BBQ sauce was a bit too sweet and too much while my friend wanted more sriracha taste to hers, so probably just personal taste for each of us. I definitely want to try more menu items when I can back in town again.

Pros: all vegan deli, nice staff

Vegan Deli done delicious - Edit

The Butchers Son does delicatessen deliciously! Had tried their sausages & sandwiches at a pop up event last year while visiting California's East Bay Area, was told they would be opening a brick and mortar location this year, and was excited to dine there this trip.
Yes, there is the traditional cold case, offering vegan meats & cheeses by the pound. Will save trying those for my next visit.
Good selection of deli style sandwiches, sides, appetizers & salads with fresh from the oven gourmet donuts & chocolate chip cookies for desserts the day we visited.
Because life can be short, eating dessert first is good and I opted for the bacon maple glazed donut as an appetizer. Fluffy cake donut, maple glazed topped with house made vegan bacon; highly recommend!
I enjoyed the savory Philly Cheesesteak, seasoned seitan, Swiss cheese, pickled jalapeños, grilled peppers, onions, mushrooms, mayo & lettuce on a French hoagie. Very, tasty, well seasoned fillings, and the hoagie sandwich bread was good, yet I would have preferred a whole wheat bun, just because that is how I like my bread. My side of potato salad was quite good; the dill is a fine touch, since I really like dill. Might be a bit much for those who prefer their potato salad less spicy. My dining companion had the Spicy Chicken B.L.A.T., garlic chili roasted chicken seitan, bacon lettuce, avocado, tomato & mayo on sour dough bread. The non-vegan declared it quite good, especially the fresh bread. Enjoyed the potato salad, too.
The hit of the experience? The cannoli donut... Nothing more to be said.
Prices are affordable, though my companion remarked on the donuts being pricey. Not so much to me since I am vegan, do a lot of vegan cooking, baking & eating, and appreciate the artistry that goes into crafting delicious, cruelty-free food.
Cash, credit, debit cards accepted. Dine in and take out. Drink case. Historic district area of Berkeley, so small, intimate space. Order at the counter, & your name will be called when ready.
On street parking. Busy around lunch time.
Street signage could be improved; historic sign from a previous tenant almost blocks the deli sign, but street address is easily visible.
Only down side is that there is a fish market on the same block and while the smell is not discernible inside The Butcher's Son restaurant itself, this long term vegan did notice while walking down the street.

Pros: 100% vegan, Delicious, Knowledgeable, friendly staff

Cons: Small space, On street parking

Best vegan food I've had yet! - Edit

I got the Caprese sandwich and my boyfriend got the fried ravioli. They were both absolutely delicious! The Caprese sandwich had vegan mozzarella cheese and it was the best mozerelli cheese i've ever tasted. You could not tell the difference between their cheese and non-vegan mozzarella. If you're looking for a good vegan cheese this is the place to go! I also got their bacon maple donut and their Cannoli Donut. Both were absolutely amazing and the Cannoli Donut was so creamy and not too sugary. It's my new favorite vegan restaurant in the bay area.

Pros: great service, delicious vegan cheese, great desserts

Return to Berkeley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Butcher's Son closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1382 times since Mar 2016.