The Butcher's Daughter

Contact 212-219-3434

19 Kenmare St (at Nolita, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10012

Health food cafe and juice bar on a corner with natural sunlight. Offers breakfast and lunch food from coffee with nut milk to sandwiches and salads. Est. 2012. Mon-Thu 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 8:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Juice bar

First Review by adc1984

delicious - Edit

I had the tacos and the cacao suave smoothie for brunch, it was absolutely delicious! Be advised that although it is dairy and meat free it is not vegan, with a lot of eggs on the menu. There are a couple of vegan options though, such as the tacos.

Expensive bird food - Edit

way over priced tiny portioned flavorless food. Veggie burger was dry beans almost tasted burnt, i had to drench in in mayo so i could finish it. Also had the "tachos" this dish was a 13 dollar piece of lettuce with some flavorless Tempe on it. Been to all the veg/organic restaurants all over New York and this one was by far the worst.

Pros: outdoor seating

Cons: overpriced, flavorless food

great spot for a quick lunch - Edit

The place looks clean and it feels great to seat there.
The decoration gives you a fresh, healthy vibe, and the food is really good!
Iv'e ordered the avocado toast, it was good but it's too small for a main dish.
My friend ordered the vegan cheese-bacon sandwich and it was great!!
I will definitely go back there next time I'm in the city.

Pros: good and fresh food

Cons: small dishes for lunch

meh - Edit

The Butcher's Daughter is a cute restaurant in the lower east side. It's vegetarian and vegan friendly, but the prices here are outrageous. For an appetizer, we got a large order of the loaded potato skins. When they came out, we had to ask if it was the small or the large order. We paid $12 for ONE potato. It was very delicious, as it has vegan adzuki bacon, Danita cheese, and vegan sour cream, but not really worth the price.

For entrees, I got the butcher's burger and my husband got the carbonara. The carbonara had pasta made out of veggies instead of actual pasta, and cashew ricotta. I thought it impolitic that it came in a huge bowl even though the portion was not so big. It was ok. As was my burger. Really nothing to write home about, and very expensive. We considered getting a juice or smoothie but after eating our meals we decided not to spend any more money at the restaurant. Won't be coming back.

Pros: vegan friendly

Cons: price

Fresh, very tasty veggie options - Edit

This cafe was right across the street from where we were staying in Soho, so super convenient. I had the avocado on toast which was delicious and generous in size. I also had a ginger shot, which was great. My husband (not a vegetarian), had the scrambled eggs on toast and 'vampire slayer' shot (ginger, garlic, cayenne). We sat outside on lovely tables and the service was quick and friendly. This place does serve meat, but has good options for veggies. The food is super fresh too. Definitely worth a visit if in this area :)

Go there for breakfast - Edit

This modern and trendy restaurant is amazing. The breakfast ist fantastic and the staff is very friendly. The restaurant comes with a fresh and new appearance and the dishes are very great!

Couldn't find much vegan stuff, didn't stay - Edit

We tried going here for a weekend brunch, and we wound up not eating anything.

After looking through the menu, we asked our server about vegan options. Her response was basically, "Yeah, not much vegan today for brunch." We asked about non-dairy milk options, substituting tofu or something else for eggs, etc, and we were basically told "no" for all possible substitutions we tried to come up with.

We left without ordering anything.

It seems cool for vegetarians but awful for vegans.

Pros: All veg

Cons: No options for vegans

Good food in a trendy cafe - Edit

I was there twice in my NYC visit as the location was very convenient. One morning for breakfast and once more for lunch. Great food in both occasions. Fresh organic produce and a creative menu: matcha lattes, la colombe drip coffee, raw tacos verdes, smashed avocado toasts, vietnamese bahn mi and rueben sandwiches all very good.

Pros: Great food

Fantastic - Edit

Just had the Sunday brunch. Everything was great. The eggs Benedict variation was the best I have had. No, not vegan, but vegetarian and very very good. A kale salad with a great dressing, crispy almonds and onions was out of this world. The fresh juices were perfection, there are a tremendous variety including standards like carrot/organe/tangerine but also a number of very original and subtle ones. The place is busy, but the staff extremely efficient and welcoming, and got us two places at the bar quickly. I will definitely be back.

Pros: Great food, Wonderful fresh juices, Friendly helpful people

Cons: Can be crowded

Nice - Edit

Nice, but slim, vegan breakfast options, especially their take on avocado on toast. I visited a couple of times, very nice setting and a good way to start the day, just avoid the coffee.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: Coffee is terrible

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Butcher's Daughter closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3196 times since Dec 2012.