First Review by dkingdesigndotcom

no service - Edit

The reviews for this place were years old so I thought I would give it a try. I like to help update Happy Cow when I can. The older reviews are still completely accurate. The place is a hole in the wall and not inviting. In the front of the store they had what looked like a buffet. I asked the waitress if it was a buffet. She said no gave me a pot of tea and a menu and disappeared without a hint of a smile. Then I kept waiting and waiting and waiting.... While sitting there I noticed all the food sitting in front was not under heat lamps! I thought that didn't seem food safe. Still waiting I read through the old reviews and saw that someone said lotus pond down the street was much better. Finally I thought I will give her 5 more minutes. After the 5 minutes passed -for the first time in my life- I just left. I drove a kilometer down the road to Lotus pond where I was greeted by a very friendly waitress who took my order in minutes and was very glad of my decision.
Also this restaurant only had people at one table and lotus pond was packed.

The Best of vegetarian "meat" - Edit

Although I hardly eat-in at this restaurant, it's the only place my family knows that offers the best vegetarian "meat". They have fresh vegetarian "meat" they make themselves that taste so good, and it's the best when they're freshly made. Whenever I'm craving vegetarian "meat" or what Chinese people call "j-eye", it's always a treat when my parents bring home a large dish of assorted "j-eye" back home because the restaurant's at least a thirty minute drive away from my house. I haven't had any other comparably good vegetarian meats aside from this restaurant, so I really love this restaurant.

Pretty disappointing - Edit

We ordered the kung-pao tofu (chef special), fried noodles with mock seafood and fried spring rolls. None were memorable. The spring rolls were very greasy and the sauce for the seafood dish was watery.

I get the sense the food was hit-and-miss, and we just happened to miss. Some of the other dishes we saw looked good.

The waitress was very stressed and unfriendly. Before any food arrived she banged down an unasked-for empty plate and a single fork in front me (I'm a white male), while ignoring my girlfriend, who is of Asian descent. Pretty ironic as I lived in Japan for years and can operate chopsticks on an advanced level (re: whilst very drunk on sake). I'm used to the assumptions, however.

Since it's buried deep in the heart of Scarborough, I'd not likely ever go back. Lotus is just up the road and it's tons better in atmosphere and offerings.

On the upside it was pretty cheap and there is booth seating.

We go here often - Edit

Other than their fried rice (don't know why, it just has no flavour) everyhing we've tried there is great. The portions are huge for the price and they recently renovated so the atmosphere is better (although still not fancy by any means). The staff is polite but usually overworked so unattentive, but for that type of food for the price, well worth it!

Pros: choice, flavour, price

Cons: service

SUPER HUGE PORTIONS!!! - Edit

6.95 CND (before tax and before the gratuity): Black bean sauce chicken (made of tons of rolled tofu leaves) kwetiau (flat rice noodle). Luckily, we brought 2 food containers, *whew*! Free tea (Simon's Wok also : free tea).

Pros: SUPER HUGE PORTION(S), Yummy

Cons: tea taste: ?!?!?!

Return to Scarborough Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Buddhist Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3476 times since Aug 2007.