The Brick Kilns

01603720043

Norwich Rd, Little Plumstead, Norwich, England, NR13 5JH

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pub and restaurant with vegetarian and vegan menu. Vegan options include ratatouille, "Red Dragon" bean stew, nut goulash and chilli bean casserole. Built over 400 years ago it has a charming interior with oak beams and real fires in winter. Dog friendly (bar only). Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, 6:00pm-9:00pm. Restaurant hours. Bar open 11:00am-11:00pm

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, British, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by JulieRobertson

Good - Edit

I have been to The Brick Kilns a few times now, the food is good and so is the place itself.

It's great for a place to take the whole family- if there's some of you who eat meat too. But definitely not my go to place as a vegan.

There are a fair few vegan options (which is great for a pub), all of which are nice, but none of them taste shockingly good.
They do have really nice vegan ice cream though!

Also great that there's somewhere outside of Norwich to sit and eat :)

Pros: Portion sizes are big, Not expensive, Variety of food

Cons: Not exciting

Such a disappointment and missed opportunity - Edit

Lured here for hubby's birthday treat by the promise of a promising and varied vegetarian menu prepared by a specialist chef (it said). It should and could have been so good but turned out to be worse than plain ordinary.
It has been a long while since I have felt quite so unwelcome when eating out. Nobody was rude but we were just almost entirely ignored (maybe that is rude).

My starter 'button mushrooms' were way past that stage, and though the sauce was tasty they were not the bite-sized morsels I fancied. I struggled to eat them, and left some - I didn't enjoy them. We had a nut roast that was chewy and unappetising, peas that were hard and tasteless, chips that were totally blonde and undercooked and a salad that had no dressing offered (naked salads are not my thing) and no staff to ask either. The only nice parts were hubby's starter of batter-fried Brie (a generous portion) and a soft but reasonably tasty lentil loaf.
Maybe it was just a bad day but nothing about it made us want to return or recommend. A sad missed opportunity and a spoiled birthday.

Updated from previous review on 2017-06-02

Pros: busy, obviously a locals pub as well as restaurant, good range of ales and beers

Cons: offhand staff, unwelcoming, poor food

Return to Norwich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Brick Kilns closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.