The Bohemian

+44-7908694814

37 Pink Lane, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, NE1 5DW

Opened Aug 2015, a vegetarian restaurant and bar, and vinyl record shop. Offers daily light lunch, tapas, cocktails, pizza and evening meals. Food is approx. 80% vegan including a fully-vegan pizza menu. New traditional Italian stone pizza oven installed Sep 2016. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm. Closed Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by deadpledge

WOW - Edit

Literally the best takeout I have ever had. I had the Catch Of The Day pizza and the churros and it was absolutely delicious. The pizza tasted like seafood and the churros and chocolate were amazing. Well good!

Pros: Amazing

Cons: Little pricey

The pizza is AMAZING! - Edit

Recently my husband and 4 children visited The Bohemian and were really impressed. The choice on the menu was fantastic, but we all agreed we HAD to try the Vegan pizza. So we ordered Pizza and fries and we absolutely loved them. Really good proper melty type cheese. My children and husband also tried some dessert from the specials board. Some chocolate cakes and churros later we all rolled out of the restaurant full and happy. The staff were really friendly and patient , the decor and atmosphere were both great and we will definitely be taking a trip back to Newcastle to try some more delicious food there.

Pros: great menu choice, nice atmosphere, close to train station

two good visitS - Edit

had a jackfruit kebab and a glass of Shiraz, it was really tasty.
I have to say the fries were a wee bit oily, but the chilli sauce side was as spicy as they said, which was great. the kebab was tasty and full of salad and the vegan slaw was as good as could be.
if you are in ncl try and visit. a winner
returned for a vegan chinichanga and fries and onion rings. the food was great, my only criticism, maybe harsh, but maybe make your own onion rings. big and chunky is best.
a great option.

Pros: selection, tatsy, staff

Awesome pizza with jackfruit on it - Edit

this place was amazing! All the food we had tasted super nice. I had a Tex-Mex pizza, which had jackfruit on it and vegan cheese as well, and it was really yummy! I highly recommend that if you go there choose something with jackfruit, it is such a unique thing to have in Europe on the menu (even in vegan/vegetarian restaurants). We also shared for dessert brownie and churros and they were a perfect ending of such a nice meal. Also the stuff was really nice as well! So yeah I am highly recommending this place!

AMAZING! - Edit

I can't fault this place! The food was fantastic and there was a great choice. Staff were extremely friendly, they even managed to squeeze us in on a busy night when we didn't have a reservation and offered to make me a mocktail seeing that I was obviously pregnant. The atmosphere was excellent, very cosy and great decor. We have booked to return here on our second night staying in Newcastle. The only problem is choosing what to have from the menu!

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-25

Pros: Great choice on the menu, Really yummy food, Friendly staff

Wonderful! - Edit

Definitely my favourite restaurant in Newcastle, a must visit if you're around. Everything is amazing, so many tasty options! The atmosphere is also great and the staff is lovely :)

Pros: Great food, Good value, Portions

Wonderful all around dining experience. - Edit

The place is packed. Always a good sign! I was fortunate enough to get a table for one on a busy Thursday evening so you way want to reserve you place! Menu is almost completely vegan adaptable if not completely. ? Servers and bartender (I think the cook as well) are all rad women with great taste in music. Nice upbeat energy and the food hit the spot to perfection. Pulled Jack fruit fajitas and nachos with a vegan caramel cheesecake for dessert. Canny!

So good, hard to pick! - Edit

Had a really lovely meal for two. There were so many good options on the menu, it was hard to pick! Went for spring rolls (plentiful) and hoisin jackfruit (amazing) for starters, chilli dog calzone and jackfruit fajitas for main. Good portions and super tasty, only feedback is that I'm rubbish with spice so milder options welcome! Lovely staff, nice atmosphere, only regret is not getting the cinnamon churros. I'll be back next time I'm in Newcastle for sure.

Amazing - Edit

Cannot praise this restaurant enough. Cool tranquil environment, lovely pleasant staff and absolutely amazing vegan food. The vegan pizza I had here was better than all of the non vegan pizzas I've had in the past. Starter and main were both incredible and very reasonably priced, couldn't recommend more!

Pros: Yummiest vegan food for cheapest price, Cool music/art atmosphere, Polite staff

...and I'm feeling so bohemian like you - Edit

Exciting times in Newcastle for all vegetarians and vegans, as The Bohemian gatecrashes the culinary scene. There is lots of menu choice available including burgers, nachos, chili dogs, pulled jackfruit fajitas and chimchangas to name a few, all at affordable prices. Portion sizes are generous too. All desserts are also vegan including a cheese board. The decor is very modern with some great album sleeve artwork that makes for a very relaxing vibe. The staff are also very attentive and friendly. The addition of pizzas to the menu including vegan cheese has just propelled Boho to a new level and so far I have sampled the meat feast, chili and Hawaiian, which were all delicious. Takeaway options are also now available. I am also pleased to see service has improved considerable since it first opened. Looking forward to seeing The Bohemian grow even more. I will definitely be back again.

Updated from previous review on 2015-09-09

Pros: Excellent vegan options, Nice Vibe, Friendly staff

Cons: Reservations advised

Bohemian - Edit

A really decent choice and I couldn't decide. I was going to go for the jackfruit but I had the pizza instead. Decent vegan "meats" and they even grated some vegan cheese on it for me. My other half had the Chimichanga and really enjoyed it.

Pros: Great choice, Attentive staff

Cons: Not much to see out the window

Great food but slow service - Edit

I've only been here once but I had the pulled jackfruit fajitas which were absolutely fantastic. Jackfruit is such a pain to make at home so it's great to be able to get somewhere out that makes then - and makes them so well! The only negative thing is the service was really slow. It took us around 45 minutes to get served. We went when they first opened up so thought it might just be teething problems but a friend went again at the weekend and said the service was still slow :(. But if you don't mind the wait then I'd recommend because the food is fantastic!

better and better - Edit

Better and better.

The food, surroundings and ambience improve with every visit I make to this cool restaurant in a fab location of the city. My first visit was shortly after it opened and my expectations were high due to Boho's own description which includes the restaurant being unique, welcoming and relaxed. At first I thought the reception and atmosphere felt a bit formal and reserved and I didn't feel as relaxed as I'd envisaged but I think they are now achieving what it says on the tin.

We had a delicious meal comprising of dishes on the tapas menu during our most recent visit last night. The tempura vegetables were formidable, the standard you would expect at a fine Thai restaurant where they are a speciality. We were very thankful to be squeezed in as they were fully booked, it's good to know the restaurant is so popular and we will def book in future to avoid any risk of disappointment. I would also like to try one of their tempting cocktails on my next visit.

Pros: cool interior. , great food with good vegan choice, good location

Cons: toilets could be better.

Yummy yummy - Edit

Went there twice in the same day. For lunch, I had a kebab, which I found was a bit expensive for what it was. So for dinner I had two starters instead - the macadamia nut mozzarella plate and duck pancakes. I highly recommend those two! Really amazing tastes there and comes to a full meal as a combo :)

Also had a glass of "The Nuts" which is a hazelnut and cream cocktail. It tasted like liquid tiramisu - soooooooo good! ^_^ You can sip in in tiny sips because it's so full of flavour.

Gourmet Fast Food - Edit

Great ambience in this place, pleasant background music (they actually sell vinyl records) and some interesting decor.
The food is good, with the menu mainly comprising of (vegan/vegetarian) burgers, hotdogs, falafels etc.
I wanted to try the cheeseburger (made from walnut and black beans, with a choice of vegan or veggie cheese) but went for the jackfruit kebab as it was something I've never had before (neither jackfruit nor kebab). It was really tasty and nicely presented. I stole some onion rings from the partners plate (he got the hotdog) and they were lovely!
We both had cheesecake with raspberry coulis (all desserts are vegan).
I would definitely eat here again, although my partner felt it was not on a par with some of the other local veggie eateries whilst being priced pretty much the same.
I don't feel that I can list price as a con because you're eating quality ingredients in a restaurant without meat contamination!

Pros: Good food, Great venue, Friendly staff

Authentic vegan comfort food - Edit

Good varied menu. I had the jackfruit kebab, was interesting (I've been vegan since 2007) and satisfying (I eat well). Staff really nice, took 3 flavours of vegan cakes away with me, and all were amazing (even my fussy non-vegan wife thought the lemon cake was the best she's ever had).

The Bohemian will be a go-to for me whenever I am in Newcastle!

Wonderful food, and good for vegans - Edit

I went with some work colleagues from offices in other parts of the country whom I hadn’t met before, so was desperately hoping the restaurant I’d suggested was OK, given that two out of three of them (as it happened) were meat eaters. I didn’t want them moaning about vegetarian food, had it been mediocre. It turned out I needn’t have worried – the food was gorgeous and they all thanked me for picking such a good place to go.

As a rule I don’t normally choose food such as burgers, hot dogs etc., as I don’t usually find them particularly exciting. However, the quality, freshness and presentation of the dishes here lifted them to a new level.

I have to comment particularly on the cocktails and the pudding that I had though…”The Nuts” is a creamy almond flavoured cocktail, made with soya cream (or similar). Being vegan, it was such a treat to have a cocktail that is normally for non-vegans only…also, the hot chocolate brownie with chocolate sauce and toasted vegan marshmallows was divine (and this is from someone who’s also not a huge fan of chocolate brownies, so that’s quite saying something!).

Pros: Very close to station/city centre, Great food, Reasonably priced

Lovely - Edit

Lovely place, with a brilliant location straight from the central station metro. Staff were chatty and the food delicious. Defo recommend the hotdog :)

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Bohemian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.