The Board Room Game Cafe

Contact 902-423-7545

1256 Barrington St, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3J 1Y6

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe-style place where one plays board and card games. Offers snack food and drinks including a vegetarian sandwich with cheese (can modify for vegans), naan bread, hummus, guacamole, popcorn, pretzels, smoothies, cane sugar sodas,iced tea, lemonade, soy milk for coffee and tea. Open Mon-Thu 4:00pm-12:00am, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-2:00am, Sun 12:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, American, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by QuothTheRaven

Best idea for a cafe ever! - Edit

As soon as I heard about the Board Room Game Cafe, I couldn't wait to check it out. My boyfriend and I stopped in the other weekend and I was impressed.

The cafe works on a tab system. It's $5/person to play an unlimited number of games. You can order food, beverages and alcohol which are put on your tab that you pay upon leaving.

The board games are organized by type. The owner was there to recommend a game for us and teach us how to play.

The menu has a few vegan friendly options. Hot drinks can be made with soy milk. I had a latte with the Jitterbug Soda gingerbread flavour. I asked about the vegan friendly options on their menu. Their hummus and naan bread are vegan. The vegetarian sandwich can be made vegan. They offer a small plate of veggies with hummus. You can also get veggie straws and ask for hummus as the dip. They have a candy bowl as well that might be worth asking about. I saw one on another table and it looked to contain Skittles. Portions are small and prices are low (because who wants to eat an entree while they game?!) I opted for the hummus and veggies, which I liked.

I had a fun time. I will be back and I will make sure to bring friends.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 25, 2013

Pros: soy milk for hot drinks and alcohol, open late, affordable

Cons: small selection of vegan-friendly foods

Awesome - Edit

As soon as I heard about this place, I knew I had to go. We met a couple of friends of ours there today. Firstly, the cafe itself is just lovely. It's this big open room that's half underground, cozy, warm, inviting and so much to look at. I loved the vibe of this place. They have 3 giant bookcases full of board games. The hardest part was choosing what to play. First we tried an adorable panda game called Takenoko. It was a lot of fun and then played a classic game of Munchkins. The menu is not huge but they do offer a few options for vegans. You can get their latte's made with soy milk and also offer jitterbug sodas and gingerbread coffee syrup as well. As far as food goes they have a veggie tray with hummus, pretzels or veggie straws. They also offer a veggie sandwich which could be vegan if you ask for no cheese. We spent 4.5 hours there and had a really good time. My only complaint is the prices are a little steep on their drinks and snacks but we had a lovely day just the same.

Pros: Soy milk for drinks, Lots of games

Cons: Price

Return to Halifax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Board Room Game Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 704 times since Nov 2013.