The Blue Nile

Contact 248-547-6699

545 W 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale, Michigan, USA, 48220

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian cuisine. Menu consists of two all-you-can-eat choices: four meats and seven vegetables, or all vegetarian. Kids half price. Injera bread replaces utensils.

Category: Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by

Good for a first try... - Edit

I agree with one of the other reviews. It would be nice for someone who has never had ethiopian but the flavors weren't pronounced enough for me. Some of the options were even a little bland however the person I was with loved the restaurant and the various dishes. It was his first time trying Ethiopian food.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice Location

Cons: Bland

makes vegans happy - Edit

All of the vegetarian items are entirely vegan, including the injera (bread). If you have never had Ethiopian, you eat with your hands. Lots of cabbage, potatoes, lentils, greens. The food is delicious, very fragrant and heavily spiced.

Not the Real Thing - Edit

I've eaten in many Ethiopian restaurants in the U.S. and Canada. The foundation for their food is the bread upon which the meals are placed and with which you pick up the food. The bread is called injera and is made from tef flour which comes from Africa. It takes 2 days to make, but the Blue Nile uses white flour, which is easier but tasteless.

An all time favorite! - Edit

You have two options: the vegetarian platter or the meat platter. The vegetarian platter is vegan. You are served a platter with several items (collard greens, a potato-carrot-pepper mix, a lettuce and tomato salad with oil and lemon juice, and several lentil dishes.) This is a meal for people who absolutely love lentils - if you don't like lentils, don't bother going. I have found the food to be consistently prepared so you always know what you are going to get. Their sweet and cinnamony (yet sugar free) house tea is wondefull and I sometimes buy some to brew at home. I've always had decent service but make sure you ask your server to refill your bread and food (unlimited refills/all you can eat) before you run out, if you don't want to have to take any "breaks" from eating. I come here with large groups of people and for special occasions. I love they way they season their food and I can never get enough! Since it is "all you can eat" any non-vegetarians that accompany you should be plenty stuffed without paying extra for the meat option (which tends to be very messy to eat anyways.) Oh, and if you go, don't forget to check out the bathrooms (free mouthwash, perfumed body oil, etc for customers to use!)

Pros: vegan, a real crowd pleaser, full bar

Cons: tables can be uncomfortable

Took way too long - Edit

I took my Dad here for his birthday and the service wasn't very good:(
It was a weekday, we were the only people in the place and it took our waiter forever to help us out!
There must have been at least 6 other employees in the room next to us too, they were just hanging around chatting,
I took forever to get more bread, too and since you use the bread to pick up the food we had lonf pauses between our meal- kind of a pain.
I really, really like the Blue Nile in Ann Arbor but I probably wouldn't go to this one again due to the bad service.

Pros: Good Food, All Vegan Options

Cons: Waited way too long

A unique experience. - Edit

5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend this restaurant. The Blue Nile has wonderful food and a relaxing atmosphere.

Return to Ferndale Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Blue Nile closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1421 times since Aug 2007.