The Black Horse Restaurant and Tavern

• Veg-friendly
Contact 717-336-6555

2170 N Reading Rd (at PA Turnpike/272), Denver, Pennsylvania, USA, 17517

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restricted diet menu includes vegan options. The chef is also able to make some main menu items, such as risotto, vegan. Call ahead for a specially prepared vegan meal. Comfortable atmosphere and outdoor terrace. closed Sunday

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by bunyak

Another surprised customer - Edit

I looked online for a restaurant not too far from the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area, where we were spending the afternoon enjoying the spectacle of hundreds of thousands of overwintering snow geese and tundra swans, and was pleasantly surprised to find a well-rated spot with two of my favorite attributes -- an imaginative vegetarian menu and an excellent selection of artisanal beers. The vegetarian menu has 17 items in 5 categories and every one of them sounds not only appetizing but interesting. I had roasted beet, caramelized apple and butternut squash hash with grilled asparagus and red cabbage slaw and a balsamic reduction and olive oil. It was really good and very satisfying. My non-veg partner had the roast chicken breast from a local farm with mushroom and black truffle jus, and remarked at how super-fresh really does translate to super-good. The atmosphere is pleasant, the service very good, and the draft beers superb.

Pros: Chef is imaginative, Chef really cares about quality, Excellent beer selection

Cons: No complaints!

Vegan Surprise - Edit

This restaurant came under new ownershio and brought in a new chef over a year ago. I became curious and noticed they had a "restricted diet" menu. I called to make reservations and ask about vegan options. The response was completely surprising (especially for this not very vegan friendly area).

There were several risottos on the menu, which we were told could all be made vegan. It was excellent. The red beet and butternut squash dish is also great.

After our 2nd visit, the host came to us and said that we were the 1st vegan customers and that the chef would love to prepare more vegan dishes. She said that the next time we made reservations, they would make something special. We took them up on the offer. We requested a 2 course meal and left the rest up to the chef. A week later, we returned. The dinner started with a warm red beet salad and the main course was beluga lentils with mushrooms and fried leeks. Everything was amazing. My 8 year old son had the large field greens with dried cranberries and almond slices (a steal at $6).

The Black Horse will be a frequent stop of ours. They couldn't be more accomodating.

Pros: Extremely friendly staff, Excellent value, Warm atmosphere

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Black Horse Restaurant and Tavern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1044 times since Apr 2011.