The Big Cheese Poutinerie

• Veg-friendly
Contact 403-457-2873

738 - 17 Avenue SW (at 7 Street SW), Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2S 0B7

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has two vegan poutine made with vegan Daiya cheese and mushroom gravy. Can get traditional poutine with vegan cheese and gravy, or loaded veggie poutine with sauteed mushroom, caramelized onion, roasted peppers, sweet baby peas. Note: the vegan poutine option is only listed on the take-out menu.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by kimward8

Pretty Tasty - Edit

I always go to the Kensington location because the 17th Ave location is always out of the vegan cheese. However expect to wait awhile because every time I go, there's only one person on staff when it's busy which I find pretty brutal for the only person staffed. I order the vegan Nacho which is pretty nom nom.

Pros: delicious

Cons: understaffed so long waits

Out of Daiya - Edit

I ordered the loaded veggie and paid. They made my friend's order and had it on the table for them before letting me know that oops... they are actually out of vegan cheese. They asked if I'd just like it without cheese and I said no that would just be a very expensive fries and vegetables and since my friend was already almost done hers, I would just have my money back. When I originally paid I had put a tip on it and the person working there gave me back my amount minus the tip and I actually had to awkwardly request that I get that back as well. Will not return to this location. Might give the Kensington location a chance.

It was OK - Edit

I had the loaded veggie poutine - it wasn't anything outstanding, but certainly not terrible. What I can't stand, though, is when restaurants charge extra for Daiya cheese. I mean, come on, it's not like everyone is beating down the door in a quest for non-dairy cheese. Every non-veg I know wouldn't touch the stuff. So would it really be so hard to throw a bone to us Daiya eaters and include it in the prices? There, I've ranted.

Good Vegan Poutine - Edit

I had the vegan version of the traditional poutine. So it had mushroom gravy and Daiya mozzarella, and it was really good! I'm glad there's a place to get decent vegan poutine in Calgary. You can also get the Loaded Veggie poutine vegan-style.

Return to Calgary Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Big Cheese Poutinerie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2108 times since Jan 2013.