The Beano Restaurant

Contact 01483-56214

Ward St, Guildford Institute, Central Guildford, Guildford, England, GU1 4LH

Veggie restaurant at the Guildford Institute. Offers hot and cold food, desserts, salads, tea and coffee. Closes annually in late July through August. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Salad bar, Take-out, British

First Review by hippie housewife

Good but simple food - Edit

I tried all vegan options they had on Saturday. Everything was tasty, but very simple - kind of food every busy vegan person cook sometimes at home. There were 3 vegan options and 5 vegetarian options. All dishes with cheese looked much better than vegan ones :( And they warm the rice in the microwave...

But I can't complain because it is the only veggie restaurant in Guildford and I really appreciate that we have it here.

Pros: good, simple food, very cheap

Cons: open only for lunch, more than half meals not vegan, they use microwave

fantastic - Edit

This is a really great place for vegan options, at least half of the food is vegan: healthy and delicious. Sadly no room left for cake! Unfortunately they do run out of the vegan options and they are only open from 12 to 2pm so get there before 1pm if you can. And please, ask them to make more volume of the vegan options!

A Nice Surprise! - Edit

I found this place by accident, seeing a chalk board on the footpath which said they had vegan meals. Up the stairs in the Guildford Institute and I was met by friendly staff and a cosy atmosphere.

Primarily a vegetarian eatery, they had a good range of vegan meals and the staff were well-informed about the ingredients. It was a bonus that the chef was there on the till so I had a chance to talk to her.

The food was delicious.

Beano's is not open every day and I think its only open for lunch. So it's best to check before you go.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Vegan meals on the menu

Cons: Not open for dinner

OK, not great - Edit

Sure, there aren't many options in Guildford, visited on the strength of all the good reviews but it was average at best. Standard cheap vegan/veggie food, bit of a lack of flavour or imagination. For most vegans it's probably the food you cook at home. Gets 3 stars for being the one place around.

Pros: Its a vegan place in Guildford

Cons: Dull food

Simply mind-blowing! - Edit

With a very little choice of vegan food places in Guildford, I finally decided to give Beano a try when I was out in town around lunch time. The place was really easy to find, with the signs starting at North Street and all the way to the door. I would say half the food served there was vegan, and so I ordered beans dish with jacked potato and beetroot salad. I admit, it looked pretty ordinary and for a moment I began to question my choice of lunch venue.. But once I tried the food, I instantly knew I'm in love. The food literally melted in my mouth - it was the most delicious thing I ever tried! I was hoping to try dessert too, but was already full after this meal. I can't wait to try other vegan foods they serve.

Pros: Amazing taste, Great service, Inexpensive

Cons: Only open at lunch time

A veggie treat - Edit

A cool airy place to sit and eat your food as I was on a Saturday, getting away from the bustle of the town which can be heaving with shoppers, you do not feel rushed in any way to leave. Takeaway is now available, which froze beautifully and tasted great. The institute has been redesigned and now has a lift. The light airy feel is much more modern. The food is great, so filling I was too full for pudding which I took away with me to eat later. The food is varied and you can see before you buy as it's set out. Very generous portions and because the server made the food she can tell you the ingredients! Love love love it. If your all about Eco you can bring in your own Tupperware tub and they will use that for the takeaway. It's like a pop up restaurant with a relaxed feel. Go and see for yourself you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Great food generous portions, Very reasonable prices, Takeaways

Cons: Not open Sundays

Beautiful building and tasty food - Edit

I visited Guildford for the day with my boyfriend and we stopped off at The Beano for lunch. The chef was very welcoming and the food was delicious. I had a red lentil&mango bake, a curry and salad, all for 5.75! I highly recommend this place!

Pros: Friendly staff, Beautiful building, Good value

Vegan faire in Guildford - Edit

Thank you to the Happy Cow for guiding us to The Beano. Not a restaurant as such, but more like a regular pop up in an interesting building. Counter service, so you see your food before you choose. I'd say around 50% of the hot dishes were vegan. I would categorize the food as high quality home cooked with great flavours. I had a Moroccan dish which was very tasty.
The desserts looked very nice but I was too full to give them a try.
Definitely visit again when we are in the area.

Pros: Great food., Good selection of Vegan dishes., City centre location.

Cons: Short opening hours., Salads not good value as a main dish.

Like it! - Edit

Great home-made style food, with plenty of vegan options in an interesting venue and priced very fairly. Helpful personable service at the counter, the only downside is that it is not open in the evenings and the school holidays.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Good value

Cons: Not open as often as I would like!

FANTASTIC FOOD - Edit

I have just discovered this amazing place.

Open only 12 'till 2pm mon-sat. On Ward street, The Guildford Institute, don't be put off as you must climb 2 flights of stairs, you follow your nose (the smells drifting down are mouth watering) and there is this wonderful Edwardian room set out with tables and chairs.

There are 6 mains and a choice of 5 salads, all made daily by the lovely ladies there. This quirky buffet will not disappoint. Mega cheap to, you can have a main 2 salads and a naughty desert for £9. I often treat myself to a glass of wine too if my mum comes with but they also have juice and coffee etc. ohh, and the home baked lemon drizzle cake is to die for.

You simply must check it out. It is the only veggie place in Guildford after all!

Pros: quirky, only veg place in the town, yummy scrummy food

Cons: hard to find (but worth it!), only open 12-2pm, 2 flights of stairs

A treasure in a vegan dessert - Edit

The only vegetarian restaurant in Guildford, and probably the only place in the surrounding area where you can get a healthy vegan meal. A main course with 2 salads is £5.75. Delicious food. Friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: delicious food, friendly atmosphere, vegan options

Return to Guildford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Beano Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6545 times since Aug 2007.