First Review by Malarki

Great restaurant - excellent vegan options - Edit

Our friends and family paid for our very special 3 course meal at The Bean Inn for our honeymoon. We enjoyed the smoked tofu, the lentil salad, the garlic bread, olives, the vegetable bourguignon, the Morrocan cous-cous, the apple crumble with vegan ice-cream and the veganised Chocoboker Glory. Oh my! everything was fresh and delicious. We were totally stuffed! The waitress was super friendly and helpful. Our table had a sea view, which we had not expected. Utterly lovely - totally recommended. Have the veganised chocoboker Glory - served in a retro ice-cream sundae glass with layers of Mississippi mud, chocolate and vanilla ice-cream and raspberry coulis - yum!

Pros: Everything was veganisable, Great food, good portions, Friendly, helpful staff

Cons: priced for a special occasion

Best vegan meal yet in Cornwall - Edit

The food here is some of the best vegan food we've eaten in Cornwall. It's very creative, fresh and extremely tasty. We enjoyed the cashew and brazil nut loaf roast dinner and the Moroccan Vegetable and Chick Pea Chermoula Casserole. We're just sorry we didn't leave room for dessert! The atmosphere is also very lovely and romantic with candles on each of the tables. We can't wait to come back on our next visit to Carbis Bay and St Ives.

Pros: Creative and delicious food, Lots of vegan options, Intimite atmosphere

Cons: No parking, Not open for lunch

St Ives Finest - Edit

This is the place to go in St Ives, the meal here was just superb. Inside the decor is very up market but instills a relaxed atmosphere and you can get a lovely view of the sea from the window seat if you are lucky to get that table. The staff are also very attentive and have a good knowledge of the menu with suggestions if you ask. The menu is well thought out and exciting offering a good choice of starters, mains and desserts, with vegan alternatives listed too. You can also get vegan wine and beer. Myself and my girlfriend ordered the smoked tofu sweet potato wedges and griddled halloumi wedges, which were accompanied with rocket and pumpkin green salad and harrissa sauce. Very appetising! Next we got the potato cakes and tarka dahl with homemade chilli & cumin flatbread, lime pickle and a fresh mango sauce. Stunning! For dessert between us we got the dark chocolate mud pie and raspberry coulis and the fruit crumble. Delicious! The presentation of all the dishes was just stunning and special praise must go to the chefs for this. This is easily one of the best restaurants I have been too. Overall, a fantastic fine dining experience.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Nice Vibe

Great experience - Edit

We had a table for four and everyone had a three course meal. Everyone were happy with all their meals and for me who's a vegan it was so nice to be in such a vegan friendly restaurant! I'm pregnant too so not a lot of food taste nice at the moment but this was fabulous! Strongly recommend. Friendly staff and a nice looking, clean restaurant. We'll come back again!

Candlelight Dinner - Edit

I enjoyed a lovely evening meal at Bean Inn last week. The room is very pretty. The food was quite good, though not especially exciting or memorable. I had Moroccan stew on couscous. The appetiser, grilled tofu and sweet potatoes, was more interesting. To be honest, I find it a little pricey for the simple ingredients. You can see how everything in the St. Ives area becomes more gentrified and upscale, including this vegetarian restaurant. The waitress was friendly but not personal in any way.

Pros: good food, nice place

Cons: a bit pricey, impersonal service

Lovely B&B and restaurant - Edit

We stayed in the Coast B&B, and ate in the Bean Inn restaurant attached. If we ever go back to St Ives, we'll definitely stay there again. Very friendly people, lovely clean rooms, and the food is great. Breakfast there is a large range of options for vegans, and you can also arrange for a choice of packed lunch to take away which I can also strongly recommend.

The restaurant is also great, good atmosphere and again plenty of choice for vegans, and a really high standard of delicious food.

Pros: Tasty food, Freindly staff, Location

Great food, great people, great atmosphere - Edit

Whilst holidaying in St Ives with family, out of season, called The Bean Inn to see if they could accommodate 7 people for dinner on a Monday night. Although they were closed, they had guests in the B&B and said they would open especially for us.

Our group consisted of veggies, vegans and meat eaters, all of whom raved about the delicious food. Staff were kind and attentive, the room we ate in was beautiful and we'd all love to go back.

Highly recommended, if you're even remotely in the area it's well worth stopping in... even if they're not open! ;)

... and Coast B&B - Edit

Discovered the Bean Inn and Coast B&B (all housed under one roof) after the demise of the Woodcote Hotel (allegedly the oldest Veggie Hotel in the UK) about 5 years ago and have now been there more times than I care to remember. They are located on the main road into St Ives which is an easy walk along the road or via the coastal path.

The Bean Inn is vegetarian but offers a number of daily vegan options and many of the others can be adapted. The Bean Inn is take your own alcohol with a small corkage charge but also offers a range of non-alcoholic drinks. The restaurant is housed in two rooms, one overlooking the front garden and St Ives Bay through french windows, the other having been recently refurbished at the back to add extra space with views of the gardens to the side of the building. The atmosphere is relaxed, the staff friendly and polite. It's a good idea to book a table, especially at busier times of year. The food has always been consistently good and luckily I have usually been staying in the B&B and so can go to lie down after stuffing myself. The B&B offers full cooked veggie/vegan breakfasts, cereals, pancakes, their special "Morning-bocker-glory" (not vegan), teas, coffee, juices, etc.. Recently, they have started offering packed-lunches to take away if ordered the night before - we got hummus and salad sandwiches to take with us on our train journey home which given the lack of anything even vaguely vegan on train buffets ... .

Can't recommend the restaurant and B&B highly enough, and there's not anything remotely as veggie/vegan friendly that I've yet found in the St Ives area, which is surprising really. Expect I'll be going there for years to come.

The Bean Inn has reached the finals of the Vegetarian Scoiety's best restaurant awards on a number of occasions.

Pros: Good food, friendly staff, B&B onsite

Return to St Ives Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Bean Inn closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2369 times since Aug 2007.