• CLOSED: The Bánh Mì Bar

Take-out
Asian
Vietnamese
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers two vegan banh mis and an option to build your own. Also has avocado summer rolls. Reported closed August 2023.

Venue map for The Bánh Mì Bar
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by madoublethew

SamanthaVictoria

Points +769

11 Nov 2022

Ate here every day for lunch this week!

Loved how fresh and delish everything was! No kimchi, but plenty of vegan options. I like the build your own bahn mi!

Lusjifer

Points +53

04 Nov 2022

Would recommend

Had the next level vegan with smokey seitan and it was divine. Staff is super friendly they wash their hands after handling meat.

Updated from previous review on 2022-11-04

Pros: Two vegan options, Super friendly staff

Dragonfly147

Points +358

02 Nov 2022

Excellent Banh Mi!

Two different set vegan options or you can create your own with the various other toppings. I've never had Banh Mi before but absolutely loved it and they have definitely converted me! Will reccomend to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

Pros: Helpful and knowledge staff , Close to the station, Reasonably priced

Cons: Limited seating

VeganMeganX

Points +74

29 Oct 2022

A very good sandwich!

My boyfriend and I visited the Bánh Mì Bar for lunch. There are a few seats inside and luckily when we went it wasn’t too busy so we managed to grab some! The bánh mì is prepared freshly at the counter, the flavours were really lovely and fresh. The marinated tofu had a nice flavour and the edamame bean pate was so tasty. I loved the pickled vegetables too! I was however mildly disappointed that they had ran out of vegan bacon jam but I was still happy with my sandwich. The only downside is that they only have 2 vegan options, but to be fair their menu isn’t huge anyway as the place is small and everything is fresh. I would definitely recommend for a fresh sandwich!

Pros: Freshly made

catandcupcake

Points +3864

26 Aug 2022

Expensive for a sandwich but great customer service

Had the Next Level Vegan Banh Mi for £7. Tasty , especially the pickled pink onion, but I'd ask for less sriracha next time! It sort of overpowered everything. Staff were very friendly and helpful, offered me water, were nice and chatty. Choice of bread and nice to have aubergine bacon and cashew cheese fillings rather than just tofu.

Updated from previous review on 2022-08-26

RobertaBartowskiBru

Points +339

21 Jul 2022

Un pranzo veloce e fresco

Buono, forse un po’ altini i prezzi per le porzioni, ma consigliatissimo!
Ps hanno anche una scelta di bibite molto interessante, tipo la karma cola😂

Updated from previous review on 2022-07-21

Jjjjjjj

Points +149

05 Jun 2022

Best Vegan Banh Mi in town

I’ve done some pretty extensive testing of the vegan banh mi options available in Edinburgh and this came out top. There’s two vegan options for banh mi and both are customisable. My preferred one is the classic vegan. Here you get some punchy, umami laden marinated tofu. This is served on your choice of roll with pickled daikon and carrot, edamame pate and a generous amount of fresh herbs. These all being a pleasing zing and freshness, the crunch of the pickles complementing the softness of the tofu. They also serve some delicious vegan chocolate cups, which make an ideal post sannie treat. It’s also in striking distance of Waverley station and the royal mile. I’m almost reluctant to write this review in case it becomes inundated with tourists. Right now what’s not to like?

Updated from previous review on 2022-06-05

Pros: Good location, Good price, Delicious

mikeyfeik

Points +399

05 Jun 2022

Would rate 5 ⭐️

Fresh, tasty bahn mi. Their classic tofu is great for lunch. The little chocolate cups are a nice treat afterwards

craigmc

Points +32108

17 Sep 2021

Limited

Had lunch here a few weeks ago and didn’t add it as it was limited and disappointing.
Nice staff a with decent drinks but the food was below par for me

madoublethew

Points +296

17 Sep 2021

Tasty lunch option near the station

Friendly owner who made us some tasty sandwiches. The tofu had a nice flavour and texture, and the sauces provided a nice dressing alongside the fresh herbs. Enjoyed the avocado summer rolls with the peanut sauce, and they also had a few chocolate cups that were yummy bite-sized desserts.