The Auld Hoose

• Veg-friendly
Contact 0131-6682934

23-25 St Leonard's St, Edinburgh, Scotland,

Serves meat, vegan options available. A pub-type restaurant, offers vegetarian and vegan dishes, including a full English breakfast, burgers, sides, chili, burritos, haggis, nachos, desserts (although only sorbet for vegans). Vegan cheese is an add-on for most dishes, or a substitute for a dish that comes with cheese. Re-open Feb 9, 2016 after refurbishment.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Mexican, British, Non-veg

First Review by FabianaMi

My favourite pub, and they like vegans! - Edit

I've been a regular at the Auld Hoose for several years, since before I went vegan. The food has always been good, and they were the first place I frequented that offered vegan cheese (I'm lactose intolerant so have been dairy free for over a decade before going vegan). Once I went vegan, the great vegan options they offer, all clearly labelled on their menu, were really welcome, and made me feel welcome in my favourite pub, even though I was now eating ethically. The menu has a lot of vegan options, not just a few sad choices, so there is plenty to enjoy.

The pub has just recently reopened after a refurbishment and redecoration, and it looks great. It retains the casual, comfortable feel, but with a smart new look. The pub is a favourite among University of Edinburgh students, offering a student discount and is the meeting place of several student societies. It is also a welcoming haunt for members of the goth, industrial and rock scenes in Edinburgh. And yet, it is plenty welcoming for anyone passing who wants to enjoy good drinks and good food (in gigantic portions - particularly the nachos (vegan version available)).

Highly recommended!

Pros: Vegan versions of lots of menu options, Friendly staff, Generous portions - tasty!

Cons: Can get very crowded

Great Vegan Pub Grub - Edit

My boyfriend and I had a regular portion of nachos each! It was massive and we couldn't finish them so I'd suggest sharing between two. They were yummy though and the guacamole and vegan cheese were yummy! Friendly staff! Would love to go back and try the vegan sundae! Looks yum!

Pros: Friendly Staff , Several Vegan Options, Large Portions

Cons: Not 100% vegan

a little thoughtless - Edit

i visited the auld hoose with a bit of an itch for a veggie breakfast. the itch was scratched but left me yearning for a little bit better.
the staff were really nice and i was opting for the vegan rather than veggie breakfast immediately offered me an extra instead of the egg. the breakfast consisted of hash browns, veggie haggis, baked beans, veg sausage and fried mushroom. It could have benefitted from some toast.. everything was cooked well, it was just the ingredients that let it down. nothing massively wrong just the basics..linda mccartney sausages, frozen hash browns...just a lack of thought.
i will visita again to try another option, i just think with a little more thought it could be really good, rather than having left felling that they are going through the motions, rather that
looking to offer good quality food.

Pros: staff, good pub

Cons: cheap ingredients

Nice little pub! - Edit

I tried this pub on recommendation of some vegan friends and was happy to find it here on the Happycow page as well. I liked the look of the pub so I decided to try it and it was truly a nice place. It was very empty when we went (wasnt sure about when pubs are full and when not) We were there on a saturday night. Ambiance is very relaxed with some background music (was more on the heavy side, hardrock and such)and I had ordered the Vegan burrito which was absolutely amazing. It was one of the best burritos I ever had. It was a huge plate along with rice and was very good and filling and just hit the spot. I would recommend this place to anyone that wants to have a nice relaxing evening in a pub setting.

Pros: Price, Great food, Nice ambiance

Vegan wonderland! - Edit

If I could give this 5 stars I would. Amazing vegan pub food in HUGE portions. I tried the onion rings and nachos. Both were amazing. The nachos was basically a delicious mountain. My boyfriend had the vegan haggis which was a bit dry so I'd steer clear. The place had a nice, laid back atmosphere.

Pros: Variety, Huge portions, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Don't try the haggis

Worlds biggest vegan burrito! - Edit

This looks just like a normal pub, but the menu clearly indicates a number of vegan options, including burritos (huge), tacos (even more huge - though they do suggest that you share them between 2) and falafel burgers (didn't see any while we were there, but I'm guessing they were probably enormous too!). There are also vegan breakfasts on the menu, although they don't start until 12pm.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and our food arrived quickly. My ginormous burrito took up half of the plate, the rest was occupied by rice and salad. It was a little spicier than I was expecting, but the heat was nicely balanced by the generous helping of guacamole.

The pub was fairly quiet when we arrived (6pm on a Monday night) but was getting busier when we came to leave later.

If you're hungry, vegan, and in Edinburgh I'd recommend a visit!

Pros: Huge, tasty meals, Nice ambience, Friendly staff

Great vegan pub grub - Edit

I've been to the Auld Hoose several times now and I'm always impressed at how well they manage to do vegan pub food as a non-vegetarian venue. Vegan cooked breakfast, spring rolls and vegan nachos with cheese are all on the menu! You can get a good idea of their vegan range by looking on their website, although unfortunately their physical menus in the pub don't mark the vegan options very clearly and many unmarked options are in fact vegan too.

Pros: Great vegan pub food, Nice beer, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: Menus not labelled well

Great vegan burritos and nachos - Edit

The vegan burrito was delicious and extremely filling, the vegan melted cheese was fantastic, great with a beer. Another time I shared the vegan nachos which again were great. Nice chilled atmosphere and lovely staff

Pros: Vegan cheese!, Great beer

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Auld Hoose closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2763 times since Oct 2013.