The Art House

Contact 023-80238582

178 Above Bar Street (at Hants), Southampton, England, SO14 7DW

Vegetarian arts cafe serving lunch, teas, juices, organic fair trade coffee, vegan cakes and snacks. Sells art, crafts, vintage clothing, and jewelery. Hosts events and workshops in the evenings. Open Tue-Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, British, Catering

First Review by teafour2

Lovely place, great food - Edit

The Art House is one of the nicest places to go for vegans in Southampton. The place is really beautiful and full of little details and the food they make is always freshly prepared and delicious. I had on of their pastries with a choice of salads as well as some local organic pear juice. The salads all had different spices to them and tasted exotic and great.

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, delicious and fresh food

Meh! - Edit

Nice decor and clearly a good community hub but wouldn't come here for food again.
The food worked out to be expensive for what it was, either that or we were wrongly billed. A bowl of bland pureed soup (of unidentified vegetable matter) with bread had to be left half eaten as it wasn't interesting enough.
My 'cheesy' leek tart tasted savoury but not of leek or vegan cheesiness, it was also unappetising in appearance and had little texture. Some salad with it was also pretty dull.
I hate to give a review like this but for over £20 (including 2 drinks of bottled juice) didn't feel very satisfied.

Pros: Good community hub

Cons: Not good value for what it was, Uninspiring bland food.

Vegan Ice Cream!! Oh and delicious food too... - Edit

The food is all tasty and lovingly prepared (and of course cruelty free!).

Staff are warm and friendly.

DELICIOUS VEGAN ICE CREAM!

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Vegan Ice Cream!!

awesome little find - Edit

lovely cafe found in the 'cultural quarters' of Southampton which is rather ironic given all the corporate bands found in said area. There was an extensive menu with lots of vegan options. Staff were very freindly and looking at the activity calender it was clear that the art house is a hive of activity in the local community.

Pros: lots of vegan options. Reasonably priced. Communit

A haven in Southampton - Edit

A really nice place for me to discover at the end of a long day in Southampton. I had vegan pea and mint soup, tasty bread and a vegan hot chocolate. Lovely!

Pros: Quiet but friendly

Nice relaxed place - vegetarian with vegan options - Edit

This is a nice relaxed place with a vegetarian menu. The menu states that some of the dishes can be converted to vegan. The day I went (Saturday lunchtime) there was free live music. I ordered coffee which was a little pricey but delicious and also came in a cafetiere so could top-up. The downside for me was some confusion from the staff regarding what was vegetarian and what was vegan and this put me off trying the food.

Delicious - Edit

Really nice little cafe. I only visited Southampton for the day, so only tried a couple of things. I had the burrito made vegan and it was amazing. Really thick filling, cooked very well and the nachos on the side were great. I had a craft beer which was also pretty good. Not the cheapest place in the world, but well worth it. Would love to go back and try more things!

Pros: Tasty as hell, Good selection, Great central location

Cons: Little bit pricey, Weekday only items :(

Great vegan Sunday roast! - Edit

I came here with a friend on a sunny Sunday afternoon to try their vegan roast lunch. It was very tasty (vegan toad in the hole!) and pretty good value for money. The Art House also seems like a really vibrant alternative cultural centre for Southampton with a very nice atmosphere and friendly vibe. My one criticism would be that they don't bother to mark vegan options on the menu, which was a bit of a surprise for a vegetarian cafe. I'll definitely be coming back here though next time I'm in Southampton!

Pros: Delicious vegan Sunday lunch, Friendly, artsy atmosphere, Lovely building

Cons: Does not label vegan

Atmospheric, Ethical, Not-For-Profit - Edit

My mother and I originally wanted to come here for the spoken word poetry night (the Archimedes Screw Showcase- all of which was amazing)and were beyond glee when we found out the place was almost entirely vegan. We had the Greek Mezze sharer for 2 (Organic stuffed vine leaves, olives, fresh organic salad, homemade hummus, and toasted pita) with two tropical smoothies to start, followed by chocolate fudge cake and coffee walnut cake with chai tea and coffee. The coffee walnut cake was my favourite thing there, hands down, though the chocolate one was also great. As a vegan, it was strange being so spoilt for choice in the baking department, and I found out later that they actually sell the recipes for £1 each.

Added to all the foodie charm was the fact that it's a not-for-profit, run mostly by volunteers... This is a café, bar, venue and gallery for local artists. The sets were great, the food is yummy, and the vibe is most definitely progressive. I'll be coming back whenever I next get the chance.

Pros: Homemade, organic food, Great atmosphere, Not-for-profit venue

Cons: Not completely vegan

Tea, cake and more - Edit

I'm a big fan of the Art House for tea and cake - all of which is vegan. It's great to be able to not only have vegan cake but to be able to choose which one you fancy!
I've also had some nice light meals there.
It's not a fancy place - it's a community interest company. Almost all the staff are volunteers and service can be a bit slow but never so much that it's a problem. I always find it really friendly and such a breath of fresh air compared to the high street chains.

Pros: vegan cake, friendly, good value

Cons: service can be slow, noisy if there's live music

Somewhere to spend a whole evening - Edit

Dropped in for a quick bite and stayed all night! This is a vegetarian cafe/community centre/boutique, with vegan options availiable (ask staff about the specials). The decor and overall atmosphere are great, with books and board games to do, and live music and open-mike comedy on some evenings (donations for entertainment appreciated). Well worth a try!

Pros: location, atmosphere, price

Great cafe - Edit

We had a lovely lunch here. It's got a very relaxing atmosphere and the food was delicious. Will definitely be back again, although next time we will go upstairs where there are some toys to keep the kids occupied, and I shall bring more cash, as they don't take Visa (but the nearest cash machine is only a short walk down the road).

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly volunteers

Cons: Delicious cakes (not good for my diet), Er...that's it

Best Place in Town! - Edit

A fantastic place for good organic, vegetarian food in a relaxed, friendly astmosphere with some great events and workshops going on. I love it, highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 17, 2011

Love this place - Edit

It's really cozy and nice in there. I like the tea they are serving and especially the chinaware! The atmosphere is very relaxed and the food (vegetarian ofc) is excellent. Very friendly staff. I can only recommend it and spread the word.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, good food

fantastic food and atmosphere - Edit

I really love this place - they have a big range of vegan food, from snacks to main meals, but my favourite is to have a big slab or vegan cake and a pot of tea with soya mike. It's got a lovely relaxed, community atmosphere and they also do lots of classes such as knitting, art, story telling and drumming.

Return to Southampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Art House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5572 times since Jan 2008.