The 806

Contact 806-322-1806

2812 SW 6th Ave, Amarillo, Texas, USA, 79106

Cafe, lounge, and bar with music at night. Offers light ovo-lacto vegetarian food including chili, black bean hummus, pizza bagels. Quirky atmosphere. Mon-Sat 8:00am-12:00am, Sun 9:00am-12:00am

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Mexican

First Review by cheyennea

Unspeakably bad and lame - Edit

We weren't expecting much but what we got was easily one of the worst dining experiences we've had. We like to support local vegetarian and vegan joints but it's clear this place is only "vegetarian" because they're afraid they might poison someone with bad meat. Seriously, there was no veggie vibe of any sort. Here's what we got instead.

We got in at 7 PM on a Monday and waited one hour for a bread sandwich and by "bread" sandwich I mean that my hummus had almost nothing on it other than two slices of bread and the other "grilled" cheese sandwich was unmelted bagged shredded cheese on cold toast. Folks, this is not an exaggeration, stay away from this place, stay far away. Unless you just want a drink and a window into the local hipster scene, then I'm sure it's fine. But food? No, a big En Oh.

Pros: not a single thing

Cons: understaffed and unprofessional, slow and dirty, bad food

Food, caffeine and shopping!! - Edit

Stopped by en route home to LA via Chicago for something healthy & delish. Cool and quirky, local style.. Love! Vegan chili was so good and super filling. & Definitely check out the antique oddities shop, Rag and Bone, next door. Left with a couple cool vintage skirts!! +++

Place with dirty & x-rated decor - Edit

We were on a road trip across the US recently, and were just passing through Amarillo Texas and needed a restaurant that served organic healthy food and found this place online so decided to check it out. First of all it is in a very shady part of town. The place itself is dingy, and dark. The service was not at all friendly. The food took too long to arrive, and they didn't even apologize for it taking so long. The food when it arrived was nothing I couldn't have put together in my own kitchen! The prices were too expensive for this low quality of food. The walls were filled with naked pictures of the human anatomy both male and female. What a terrible place!

Cons: Bad section of town, Bad service, Not so great food

Grungy - Edit

True it smells of smoke but the snell is survivable. The "artwork" is somewhat frightening but to each their own. Now on to food: unexpected would be the polite word to use. The chili - and its famous secret recipe - could be described as a smashed up veggie burger. Truly Texas chili but with a plastic taste. The jalepeno bagel was an unnatural yellow color and was laden with uninspiring cheese. And now sits like a weight in the bottom of my stomach. The chili was unfinishable for us but again tastes vary some must like plastic. Would have given a half cow were I allowed.

Pros: Clean bathrooms, Convenient location

Cons: Food, Limited selection, Smoke

I could not LOVE this place more! - Edit

I love love LOVE the 806! I used to live in Amarillo and would visit the 806 regularly. The food and drinks are amazing! I recommend the Thai tea. It's super tasty! They also have artwork from local artist up for sale on a regular basis. Gives you something new to look at always. They often have live music and open mic nights. I highly recommend this place! Every time I go back to Amarillo; I visit this place. I could not love this place more!

Pros: tasty food and drinks, great staff, always something fun to do and look at

Cons: parking can be a challange

Good food but minimal selection - Edit

Stopped here for lunch - the 'menu' is minimal but their offerings are veg/vegan friendly, however what they lack in food options they make up for in drink (both alcoholic and non-alcholic) options and character. If I'm ever back in Amarillo I'd stop here again.

Pros: Tasty food

Cons: Not many menu items

Return to Amarillo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The 806 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3965 times since Apr 2009.