The 5 Point Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 206-448-9991

415 Cedar St, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98166

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegan could get soyrizo and bacon; breakfast curry tofu scramble and "no huevos" rancheros. Kitchen will accommodate requests. Dec 2015 reported no more vegan pies as the staff member who made them left.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by melrow

What the actual ****. - Edit

Another review got carrots in their tofu scramble?! LUCKY! Alas! I should have scrolled down and read the reviews! WORST TOFU SCRAMBLE!
It came out as a soupy Indian curry with broccoli..
Veggie Bacon and Veggie sausage are Morning Star brand. Those were legit, but not vegan.
I would have complained, but they would have kicked us out, at least then, maybe we wouldn't have had to pay for the overpriced slop.
DONT ORDER THE GUACAMOLE. It came out brown and sad, filled with onions and two days old.
Hashbrowns were delicious! But at that point, the meal could not be redeemed and who knows if those were vegan either.

Pros: Wait staff was friendly.

Cons: If you're vegan or vegetarian-just go somewhere el, Not the Wayward Cafe.

Meh! Eat here with caution - Edit

NOT vegan friendly. There is virtually nothing on this menu that is vegan. I came in, sat at the bar, asked for a menu and spent 10 minutes scouring it for something to eat. I couldn't find much. There is a tofu scramble and a no huevos rancheros that are supposedly vegan, but there is no mention of this on the menu. The bartender came by and I asked him about vegan items on the menu and his response was, "Yeah, I think there are, but I'm not sure what they are." The guy sitting next to me chimed in about the tofu scramble being vegan and the "No huevos rancheros" can be made vegan. He also said the vegetable Reuben can be made vegan without the cheese and 1000 island dressing, but then that is a vegetable sandwich with sauerkraut on rye, right? The menu has fries and tater tots, but, as it turns out, the guy sitting next to me is an employee and he shared with me that they "try" to not cross contaminate the fryers, but they "definitely" fry chicken and meat in the fryers used for the fries and tater tots. I ended up just ordering a slice of cranberry apple crisp pie, which, apparently all baked goods are vegan because the baker is vegan. All they had was this pie. The bartender asked if I wanted whipped cream. I said that wouldn't be vegan. He shrugged his shoulders, put the pie down, and walked off. Not a great experience.

Pros: Open 24 Hours. , Vegan Baked Goods. , Some possibly vegan items.

Cons: Very limited options, Clueless and indifferent staff, Cross contamination (grill, fryers, etc) likely.

Worst tofu scramble! - Edit

I was encouraged to try The 5 Point Cafe by Happy Cow, because on a recent trip to Seattle, I needed a breakfast place with vegan options. They have a curry tofu scramble that they claim is the best in the world.

I was so excited! Curry tofu scramble with veggies and potatoes! How could that be bad? It was awful. Worst tofu scramble I've ever had. Their idea of veggies was two giant florets of brocoli and a cup of cut up steamed carrots. That's it. The tofu scramble itself was a grainy yellow curry - and the scramble was 80% onion and 20% tofu. Their idea of "potatoes" was three chunks of potato. THREE. Not seasoned or crispy at all. I can't explain just how horrible this was. It was greasy and grainy and I was walking around for hours with the taste of bad curry in my mouth. Terrible. I would not recommend; do not stop by this restaurant with the expectation of a good vegan meal.

To top it all off, they were super packed that day after the Seattle 1/2 Marathon - we were given a fair warning there would be a wait and had no problem - we were given a heads up. If the food had been fantastic, I wouldn't have minded. But, we waited almost an hour for miserable food. I feel even worse for the guy who had been sitting next to us - he got his food, scarfed it down in like fifteen minutes, and then waited like a half hour for the waitress to even notice that he was done/get him his check.

Cons: Crowded, Rude servers, Bad bad bad tofu

Sunday brunch - Edit

We have eaten at 5 Point Cafe many times, but not since we starting eating vegan. We decided to give them another try after seeing them on Happy Cow. We ordered the Tofu scramble and the "No Huevos Rancheros". We both really liked the "Rancheros", but felt that the Tofu scramble was a bit overpriced ($11.50 compared to $8.00 for the one we like), and not very breakfast-y (broccoli, carrots, tofu cubes and potatoes sauteed in curry powder). We will probably go back again since it's pretty close to our apartment, but we'll both be ordering the "No Huevos Rancheros" next time :-)

3 Responses

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The 5 Point Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1675 times since Jan 2012.