Tharavadu

+44-113-2440500

7-8 Mill Hill (at Bishopgate St), Leeds, England, lS1 5DQ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several vegetarian dishes which can be made vegan and several pure vegan choices. Staff has excellent vegan knowledge.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Indian, Kerala, Non-veg

First Review by PhilippaPickering

Vegan Keralan Options - Edit

Tharavadu offers traditional Kerala cooking, so I contacted them as to vegan friendly options and based on their response prompted me to book a table for dinner.

Keralan cuisine is quite spicy, so after checking about vegan options, kicked off with snacks and pickles, consisting of pappada vada papadams dipped in rice batter, pakkavadakaya made from rice and gram flour, varuthathu made from deep fried plantain chips and pappadoms. Alongside these were served three chutneys, coconut and chilli, lemon and mango, my favourite was the coconut delicious, creamy and spicy.

I passed on starters, but my husband ordered vegetable dosa, which could easily have fed four and which I could not try, as it contained lentils, but it smelled and looked fantastic, he failed to finish it.

Main course was kadala masala, chickpeas cooked in a light tomato sauce (requested extra hot) and koon mezhukku varatty, mushrooms sauteed with onion, garlic and coconut and boiled rice.

The food was delicious and so different to your run of the mill Indian restaurants and I would be there regularly, if I lived nearer.

Pros: Vegan options, Vegan wines

Great Food: Advisable to book ahead - Edit

I've eaten here a few times now and never been disappointed. The menu is varied and the food is an excellent standard. It's not the cheapest place in town but you'd be hard pushed to find food this good for less. The Masala Dosa is my new favourite dish.

Portions are good and the service is unobtrusive. It can get a little crowded on popular evenings so you may want to consider booking.

Pros: Superb food, Unobtrusive service

Cons: Can be a little crowded

would be a five if happy cow app would allow - Edit

This place truly had some of the most amazing food.

I literally was not allowed to, and therefore could not rate Tharavadu highly enough.

It is so rare that I find a place where I can happily dine veg at a meat serving restaurant without eating a hackneyed pasta or risotto.

I can't speak for the meat dishes but can say those around me were very happy with what they had while also trying vegetarian and vegan options.

Pros: great for veg and meat eaters alike. , friendly staff , convenient location

Tasty food but slow service - Edit

Really enjoyed my visit to Tharavadu - it was extremely good value and very tasty too. The negative I can think of was it took 45 minutes to be served (we were told 15 minutes when ordering!) and the waiter didn't seem very concerned when I told him we had to get back to work. To be fair to them they were very busy at the time as it was a couple of days before Christmas.

Pros: tasty, very good value, city centre location

Cons: slow service

Great food, Lovely Staff, Good range of Veggie options! - Edit

This award winning 'Indian' is great, staff are friendly and there's a good range of Vegetarian options.

Pros: Good range of Vegetarian food , Award Winning , Friendly Staff

Cons: Not the best of locations (But easy to get to)

Great lunch menu for a fiver - Edit

This place has an excellent and extremely tasty lunch menu for just a fiver, but you need to arrive before 2! I have never been there for dinner or on a weekend.

Pros: Lunch menu, Tasty

Cons: Not always friendly staff

Great for lunch - Edit

Lunch express under 5 pounds with 5 sauces, rice and nan, fresh water with lemon offered, vegans welcomed and nicely served - I suspect some of the staff to be vegan as well =)

Pros: price, taste!

Excellent! - Edit

The food is excellent, not too spicy and nicely served . The atmosphere is also 100% Indian. Almost 50% of menu is vegetarian or vegan so you can visit it a few times and it doesn't get boring. Prices are low (4-5f for currys + 2f rice/breads) and portions very big. Even the starter is huuge. My sister took her leftovers home as she coudn't finish her dish.

The only thing I disliked was the fact that it was a little bit too noisy inside (almost all tables occupied) + very sttuffy air! They definitely need to install some fans or open more windows.

Pros: excellent food, prices, stuff, location

Cons: stuffy inside

Amazing food! - Edit

The food here is amazing! Very authentic south indian delicious food. Plenty of vegan options and most of the vegetarian options can be veganised too.
Staff have excellent knowledge about veganism and are very helpful.
Apart from Global Tribe cafe this is my favourite place to eat in Leeds. I have visited 3 time since it opened.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent value, Friendly staff

Return to Leeds Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tharavadu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.