Thali Too Vegetarian Cuisine

Contact 203-776-1600

65 Broadway, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, 06511

Traditional Indian vegetarian cuisine. Dairy is served in the form of lassi drinks, paneer cheese, and the use of ghee in others (ask your server). Around 1/2 of main entrees and appetizers are vegan and identified on the menu. Spicy dishes are medium hot and can be requested hotter. Note: their other locations are not pure vegetarian. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by veggiesattva

Not vegan - Edit

Twice I have ordered food from the menu that was labeled vegan only to have it arrive with milk or mayo on it. Then when I ask they confirm that it is not vegan but have refused to change the menu. Now I don't trust anything they serve. It's a fine place for vegetarians, vegans stay away!

Pros: Location , Delivery, Value

Cons: Menu labeled incorrectly, Staff bad at communicating, Not vegan

Vegetarian Indian Brunch - Edit

LOVED our Sunday Brunch experience...the waiters just brought wave upon wave of small dishes to our table. Each time they would ask if we wanted more of a previous dish. Lassi Bar was included as well. Great Price. In ONLY wish that they would set up the little dishes with a list of ingredients--but overall great experience.

Pros: Vegetarian , Price, Location

Excellent vegan-friendly veggie restaurant - Edit

Possibly the best Indian restaurant I've ever eaten in. Very good service, pleasant ambience (outdoor, semi-outdoor and indoor seating), and a decent beer and wine selection, but the prime attraction is the food. My bagara baigan (slow-cooked eggplant in sesame-peanut-tamarind sauce) and my spouse's sabji Manchurian (cabbage-cauliflower-carrot fritters in hot cilantro-garlic sauce) were superb. With a side of tawa paratha (multi-layered whole wheat flat bread), we were too stuffed, but pleasantly so, to sample the unusual and intriguing dessert items. The waiter seemed almost shocked to hear my request that nothing I order have butter in it. In my experience only one kind of bread in Indian restaurants is usually butter-free, namely roti, but here it appears that 8 of their 10 bread listings are dairy-free.

We stopped here because it was near the halfway point of a 400-mile, 8-hour drive, as always using HappyCow as our information source. It's not right on Broadway -- look for the sign down a quiet little pedestrian walkway next to the bookstore. It's quick and easy to get to from I-95 in a nice part of New Haven between the university and downtown. Sad for all the travelers who don't think beyond fast food for sustenance when on a long trip. Thali Too was the ideal respite and restorative.

Pros: excellent cuisine with unusual dishes, reasonable prices -- a good value

New Haven's only all-veg Indian restaurant! - Edit

Thali Too is a great restaurant in the Thali family (multiple locations in New Haven & CT), and the only all-vegetarian Indian restaurant in New Haven. I've been going there for 8 years and still love it! Equally awesome for many types of folks - they have cheap rice dishes for college students, charming subdued-lighting atmosphere for hot dates, and a lovely patio and adult beverages for a little after-work happy hour.

The food is all wonderful - I've never had a bad dish here!! and they'll spice it up if you request it. About half the menu of both appetizers and entrees is vegan, and identified on the menu. Of course the only major non-vegan stuff in the building is paneer cheese, so pretty easy to avoid. (Also ghee in some recipes.) They have a great variety of Indian dishes, all very well made, presented attractively, and really reasonably priced at $10 a pop. I particularly love the Bhel Poori (street food style chat appetizer) and for non-vegans, the spiked lassi drinks.

Lovely atmosphere for lunch or dinner, great prices, and reliable vegetarian food. Check them out!

Pros: great Indian, affordable

Return to New Haven Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thali Too Vegetarian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.