Thai Winchester

540-678-0055

24 S Loudoun St, Winchester, Virginia, USA, 22601

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food restaurant on the Old Town Walking Mall with a large vegetarian section on the menu. Items with egg can be requested without.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by AnnalieseH

Family fav - Edit

My husband and I go here a lot. We went before I started eating vegan. Service is great, prices are good. I have the green curry with tofu, yum!!! They also have a full bar and vegan beer options.

Pros: Service, Selection

Cons: Limited vegan beer selection

Great food and location! Yummy. - Edit

We were traveling through, on a road trip from San Fran to New Jersey, and had no intention of stopping in Winchester per se but we got hungry. We weren't looking to spend a lot of time but this restaurant had reasonably good reviews and wasn't too terribly far from the freeway. We were pleasantly surprised with the area! Thai Winchester is located in an adorable old-town historic district, with a wide cobblestone walkway bordered by two long rows of shops, boutiques, cafes, and eateries. The restaurant has a nice outdoor patio adjacent to the pedestrian thoroughfare, great for people watching, and the staff was brisk but very sweet and friendly. The menu didn't clearly identify vegan/vegetarian dishes versus others, but was easily navigable enough. I asked at the get-go if the cooks could leave out the fish sauce etc. and our waitress was very familiar and comfortable with accommodating vegans, it was clear. We ordered the soft fresh rolls, the papaya salad, the Tom Yum soup with tofu, the red curry with tofu, and the panang curry with tofu. Everything was excellent, and the papaya salad came with a side of sticky rice wrapped in a big leaf. The spice levels were kind of funny – "American spice", "Mexican spice", and "Thai spice" – we got American-level just to be on the safe side and ended up adding some chili paste into our food afterwards. The fresh rolls were especially delicious, but it was all very very good. We enjoyed the meal immensely and our waitress helped us package our leftovers. Our bill actually stated "no fish sauce" on the curries, which was heartening. Prices were fine, no complaints. A great meal in a really cute area – I would return.

very good Thai food! - Edit

Several vegetarian/vegan options. Prices good, portions generous, service was the best! I gave 4 stars vs 5 stars because I felt it had too much oil.

Pros: menu choices, prices , service

Cons: oil

Only moderately vegan friendly - Edit

This is supposed to be the most vegan-friendly restaurant in Winchester, and it probably is, but I was a little annoyed that the server came by our table, twice, to offer us non-vegan food for our toddler. The first time, she undoubtedly didn't know we are vegan (though in general, I think it's a bad idea to place unordered food in front of a toddler one has never met), but the second time (when she just verbally offered the food, and didn't place it on the table), she did know. It didn't end up being a big deal, but I didn't like it. There is also no separate vegan menu, only a general option in the entree section to make some of the dishes vegetarian. This means you still have to ask, just like in any not-especially-vegan-friendly restaurant.

The food was good, but I can't give it a full review because we intentionally ordered the non-spicy dishes to share with our toddler. Normally, we would order spicy curries, which we (the adults) like better. Still, I liked my tofu ginger entree, and the cashew entree was fairly good, too. The vegetables seemed fresh.

The ambiance at Thai Winchester was typical of American Thai restaurants. It was clean and fine. The restaurant is in a lovely, downtown area blocked off for pedestrians; the location could hardly be better. We enjoyed walking there afterward.

Pros: location, fresh vegetables

Cons: non-vegan food repeatedly offered, lack of clarity on menu

My go-to in Winchester! - Edit

I love Thai Winchester! My husband and I visit Thai Winchester nearly every week.

1. The restaurant is clean and cozy, and the servers are kind and helpful.

2. If you go for lunch on a week day, you get a fried veggie crispy roll and a small side salad. I don't think the dressing on the salad is vegan (it looks cream-based), though, but I'm not sure. (I've been there for lunch on a week day only once.)

3. As far as appetizers go, I've had the fried tofu (it's nothing special-- it's exactly what it says: fried tofu), summer rolls (good if you love basil!), and my go-to appetizer, veggie crispy rolls. The rolls are the small, super crispy kind. I love them!

4. I've had most of the vegetarian entrees:

LOVE:
-cashew nuts

LIKE:
-kra pow
-stir-fried ginger
-red curry
-green curry
-panang curry
-pad thai (good, but only if you like a very sweet pad thai)
-thai fried rice (I've had this twice. It was amazingly flavorful the first time, but bland the second time)

DISLIKE:
-pad phed pha (this is a dish with peppercorns, and the peppercorns really take over. Order only if you LOVE peppercorns, because that's all you'll be able to taste)
-massaman curry (but that could just be because I'm not into yellow curry-- I've never had this dish anywhere else!)

This is my favorite restaurant in Winchester, and if you haven't already, I encourage you to visit! :)

NOTE: We've also visited Thai Winchester II (only once), and we did not enjoy it enough to return. The restaurant is smaller and the food wasn't as good. I'd rather make the short drive to the walking mall rather than visit Thai Win II again. It may have just been a bad day for them, though.

Return to Winchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Winchester closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.