Thai Veggie Hutt - Shu Yuan

03-62311270

Shop 7 Bank Arcade, 68 Liverpool St, Hobart, Tasmania, TS 7000

Quick service little place. Offers dishes with tofu and mock meats like soy nuggets, gluten duck, veggie beef chunks, and veggie ham strips. Limited drinks, BYO. Variety of rice and noodle main dishes, plus vegan dim sum, crispy spring rolls, rice paper wrapped snacks. Originally named Shu Yuan. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-3:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Thai

First Review by vegan_simon

My go-to lunch spot - Edit

The food here is great. They do the most delicious 'mock meat' dishes ever. Service is very fast and you can eat in or take away. A couple of dishes aren't vegan but vegetarian so it pays to ask. Vegan duck fried rice off the menu is v delish.

Pros: quick service

Cons: they run out of curry puffs at lunch

Good, affordable food - Edit

This was a good little place to stop for lunch with good prices - under $10 for a dish on noodles. Very quick. Food was tasty but quite sweet, not a huge variety but nice.

Pros: Affordable, Quick, Tasty

Cons: Very sweet, limitted range, not great for eating in

yes yes yes! - Edit

Wonderful service. Home cooking !

amazing vegan food - Edit

all of the food in the baine marine was vegan, except for the little balls. just ask to find out. amazing food. my boyfriend who isn't vegan thought it was great. takeaway and eat in available.

Pros: lots of vegan option,

Cons: serving sizes are bit small. but the cost is very

Still going strong. - Edit

I ate here years ago when I lived in Hobart. Back then it was a la carte, now they've understandably gone with the bain marie to allow their tiny kitchen to keep up with demand. The turnover is so fast though that they've lost little of the freshness, and there's half a dozen dishes to choose from. I had the sweet and sour mork with some matching buns on the side. The mork was springy and tender to the bite, the sauce was rich, and the buns had just the slightest crunch to them.

not impressed - Edit

after hearing so much hype about this place we thought we might give it a go. My partner had a BBQ mix dish with rice and I had the satay with noodles. Honestly, my dish was disappointing to say the least. There was no peanutty satay flavour and the texture of the noodles indicated they hadn't been drained off properly or were overcooked... very soggy and watery with barely any vegetables or soy products. His dish was ok, but again lacking in vegetables, definitely not the best we've eaten.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-25

Pros: inexpensive

Cons: watery food, tasteless, noodle/rice to vegie/soy ratio way off

Great food - Edit

Would highly recommend - tasty and inexpensive- yum

Yummo - Edit

Good food, was quite spicey though. Still very nice, would recommend (small size was quite large too)

Awful - Edit

More like the money hungry hunt... Their "tofu sticks" tasted so bad I would rather eat a piece of bread.. Yep.. that's how awful it was... Plain tofu on a stick would have actually been better.
Then they've got stickers all through their store saying they're 5 Stars on happycow...
And to top it all off they charge $2:50 for a can of coke that says $2 a can on the can! I wouldn't eat there again if they were selling the last vegan food on earth.

Takeaway Love - Edit

We went at a very busy time and were quite hungry when we got there.... Mistake, or was it?

The quickest option does seem to be to order from the 'vats' on display. It works the same as most Indian places, where you choose rice and a certain amount of 'other' dishes.

But, I'm difficult and chose to order the 'crispy "duck"' which meant waiting for them to make it, by an increasingly busy counter.

BUT, it is TOTALLY worth it. I adored the textures, the flavours and they were generous with serving sizes. They were even lovely enough to throw in a skewer of what looked to be tofu because we'd had to wait (totally unnecessary as I could see they were busy and doing their best)

I wish they'd been open when we swung by on the afternoon before we left (around 4PM on a Monday). I was eager to try some of the other dishes and to get more of those skewers!

The staff were friendly, the food was well priced and most of all, it was delicious.

Pros: vegan friendly, Great food, friendly staff, Good value

Cons: Early Closing Times.

lunch on 16th November - Edit

Excellent food, reasonable prices

Great Little Place - Edit

The service was excellent, the helpings generous and the food pretty good.

Pros: Service, Serving Sizes, Price

Really fast, really bad - Edit

My first try here this past Thursday, I anticipated a yummy vegan meal. First, they have no printed menus… only several vats of pre-made hot food ready to serve and then a chalk board of noodle and rice items that can be ordered. There are no descriptions of what goes into each listed dish so you would have to try each one to have any idea what you actually get. I was told that all of their noodle dishes use egg noodles. Great. So we tried three pre-made items with rice: a spicy barbecue stir-fry with simulated pork, a curry dish and a tofu veggie dish. All three items were horribly over-salted and nearly inedible. There were very few other spice notes that could be detected… perhaps the excessive salt overwhelmed whatever other seasonings were used. The curry and veggie dishes were scooped up by a server and dumped next to the rice, which was fine except that both scoops were mostly sauce with very little actual food. Thus, my plate of rice was swimming in sauce. I will give the Veggie Hut one more try after this bad experience fades a bit so I can be unbiased. Hopefully, I can amend this review!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 21, 2013

Pros: Fast and hot on a cold day

Cons: Over-salted, bland spices, Inadequate menu

Love it... - Edit

Veggie Hut makes me wish I worked in the city. All those 'bring my lunch to work' habits I've built up over the years would go straight out the window, but with delicious food like this I wouldn't mind one bit.

As things are, it can only make it on weekends - so it's my occasional Saturday treat.

I usually just order from the bain-marie. I'm not usually a precook fan, but the food here turns over pretty quickly, so it's mostly pretty fresh anyway. I've always been tempted to order off the menu, but haven't yet.

Good, quick service. Consistently great food. Give it a go!

Pros: Great food, Efficient service, Very clean

Tasty and Quick - Edit

Thai Veggie Hutt has very quick service, and always a great range for lunch (bain marie), as well as on the menu. All bain marie items are vegan, and lots are glute-free too!

Great range, everything I've had from here has been absolutely scrummy. Especially the Green Curry!

Highly recommended :)

Pros: excellent food, good value, great range

Has to be the best - Edit

I can't believe things taste that good. It is so nice to have a restaurant dedicated to vegetarianism. Bring carnivores there, even they will be impressed! Can't wait to go back

Love this restaurant - Edit

I eat here any time I am in the city. Love their selections of food & if want something in a hurry I really enjoy their skewers.

Pros: yummy food, friendly

Cons: not always as hot as could be

My New Favourite Take-Out - Edit

Gotta say it, the food here is spot on and the staff are super nice, but the prices are just a little high when eating in (for a cheap student like myself). But I've had take-away a few times, and it's been great every time. The mock-meat would please any carnivorous friend but its the guilty pleasure of fatty noodles that I love (not everything on the menu is high fat but the pad thai certainly tastes as much- mmm yum).

Definitely my new favourite on the North Hobart strip. Recommend it to anyone.

Pros: Yummy AS, Fast & friendly service, Good for non-vego friends/family

Cons: Tiny bit pricey

Return to Hobart Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Veggie Hutt - Shu Yuan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.