First Review by rheb

Great! - Edit

This place is so nice! Cheapest i could find in Chiang Mai.
The Buffet items are good but often cold. BUT the soup! OMG THE SOUP! best noodle soup i had in Thailand! i had 2 different kinds, the "normal" one and the one with the pink/red sauce and wide noodles and its soooo good! the spring rolls here are amazing!

Pros: soup, spring rolls, cheap

Cons: very little English speaking, buffet often cold

Backstreet 'Jay' vegan buffet eatery. Cheap. Simple. - Edit

The food is very simple (I prefer spicy), but you can get a cheap feed. I had a plate with 4 dishes on rice, and a soup, for only 70 Baht. The place itself is very simple, basically a buffet, tables and chairs in a backyard. Although it's in a lane off a lane, it's easy to find with a map gps. Worth a try if you like a cheap meal, or a simple mixed plate.

Pros: Vegan , Cheap

Cons: Not spicy , Buffet food can be cold.

authentic Thai vegan food - Edit

the Thai Vegetarian cafe is a basic family run cafe/food stall located in the front yard of the families house ... the food is authentic Thai cooking that is very cheap and filling ... the food is cooked and then displayed in a bain marie so the food can very from hot to cool ... 3 dishes and rice cost ฿35 ... staff were very friendly

Pros: authentic Thai vegan food

Good vegan food! - Edit

Has takeaway / takeout option (you can rent a picnic mat for 15 baht in the park nearby). Recommend the "kaow soi" from the menu. Friendly owner, good food. Also the taro filled spring rolls are delicious! Both local and foreign customers. Will definitely come back.

Pros: vegan, takeaway / takeout , 35-40 baht per dish

Good & cheap basic jay-vegetarian food - Edit

They sell basic jay-vegetarian food, which is curries and such food ready-made on trays. You just point what you want and the food will be placed on a plate with rice. It might be that this food was even a little bit tastier than in similar cheap vegetarian restaurants. Or then it was just the very nice owners.

This place is different compared to other this kind of restaurants because it has outside tables under big umbrellas. It makes this place a bit nicer than other restaurants that serve same kind of vegetarian food. When I was there it started raining, so the owners addressed me to seat under the roof.

I arrived here late in the evening, I suppose it was about 9 pm, so it might be that they are open later than 8 pm. There wasn´t any noodle soup left because it was so late.

I had three different sauces and a taro-filled spring roll (they called it popia = spring roll, but it didn´t have the usual vegetable and noodles inside, instead I think it was taro inside). It was served with peanut sauce.

Pros: good, cheap and quick food, nice owners, spacy outdoors area

Great, cheap, local style thai food! - Edit

We ate all of our dinners here when we were inte Chiang Mai. Amazing local thai food and very cheap! The guys that work there are really friendly.

We asked if the meals contained any egg or milk, and apparently it didn't so it seems like it vegan friendly.

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan, Really cheap

Cheap food - Edit

I was there three times in total, two times at there old location, one time at the new one. The new location is completel outdoors, but they have sun shades and fans. Also the kitchen is completely outdoors as it seems, don't know how hygenic that is in the long run.
Food is average, not better or worther than other cheap thai buffet kind of place. 25 baht for rice with one topping, 30 baht for 2 topping.
The two brothers owning the place are always really friendly.

Pros: cheap, friendly

Cons: not too hygenic

Fast and cheap meal - Edit

It's true that this restaurant doesn't look really inviting, it's totally simply and a bit hectic. You just point out what you want at the counter and pay cash at once. The meals on offer didn't look too well, but I must say that it tasted fine and I liked it. It was the cheapest meal I had during my trip around Thailand, and it was definitely not the worst - it seemed like down to earth, homemade food prepared by friendly locals. So if you know what to expect, it's definitely fine to eat here!

Pros: Very, very cheap, Tasty local food, Friendly staff

Cons: Quite a walk from the main tourist area, Ver simple restaurant

Super delicious - Edit

Awesome buffet with amazing food. Super cheap. I went here almost every day during my stay. Very friendly owners. Muay Thai on the TV if there's a fight going on.

great price, great food - Edit

came across this place by chance and lovd it. Beautiful food, large portions and vdry cheap.

Cons: about 20baht per dish

Absolutely Delicious Food - Edit

I came across this restaurant while I was looking for another restaurant where I had been eating previously . And walked past as it was dimly lit and looked like need a coat of paint! However I was hungry and could find previous restaurant so walked back.
I was so pleased I did! It really is the most delicious food you could possibly eat! Really!
I spoke with another customer who had been eating there for years and he told me the food is made with love. I believe this is true.
Although menu's were in Thai you can point out what you want from the dishes. They have up to
15 different dishes everyday!
It doesn't look especially inviting for the outside but I urge you to taste the food! You will be glad you did!

Pros: delicious food, not expensive , many different dishes

Cons: looks a tad basic

good street food - Edit

Authentic street style food in a small shop with plastic chairs and tables - tasted good but it's not the cleanest place I've been. 5 others are over the 30 min we were there so decent turnover.

Pros: taste , authentic

Cons: room cleanliness

Very cheap - Edit

A typical Thai style hot counter type restaurant. The food is no better/no worse than the many other veggie restaurants in Chiang Mai. Decent enough.

However, the price is about half the usual rate so it gets my thumbs up for that.

Pros: Very cheap

great to stop by - Edit

small place that looks like something i'd never visit back in austria but here it's fine (: very cheap, owners are very very nice and food is pretty good.
i do prefer tien sieng though, pretty much the same but a bit nicer still.

Pros: very cheap, nice owners, all vegan

good food - Edit

I would agree that food wise it's probably the best of the centrally located cheap local options. Plenty of choice. The environment is very basic compared to nearby Ming Kwan which is the same price, but to my tastes the food is better here.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 04, 2015

Pros: Lots of choice, , Tasty food,, Cheap.

Cons: could say it's a bit grubby/basic

delicious cheap food - Edit

Food is taste wise probably my favorite in Chiang Mai, and it's super cheap. One plate of rice with two toppings is 30 Bath. I am full after about three of them so 90 Bath is really good.

Its the best place you can ever visit - Edit

The food is the best I have ever had in Chiang Mai. One plate is 25 thai bath, And you can get full with two (if you are a high carb vegan girl:p) as the food is quite spisy, but just perfect. The soup is delicious. There are two guys running the place, and they are the sweetest men ever. They have also helped me out when a friend of mine had an accident. They also served me free candies

Pros: Food, Price, Owners

Good, cheap eatery with lovely owners - Edit

Very nice little eatery where you can get a plate of rice with your choice of two toppings for only 25 baht - an awesome price for the amount of food that you get. Also serves one kind of soup with glass noodles, which I highly recommend as it's my favourite dish that they have. The owners are absolutely lovely!

Pros: Cheap, Good food, Great owners

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Vegetarian Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.