Thai Stars

2950 Johnson Dr Ste 129, Ventura, California, USA, 93003

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai cuisine menu where many dishes offer a tofu option, such as tofu or vegetable tom yum soup, rice and noodle with tofu. Be specific when ordering. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by catbone

Similar to street vendor food in Bangkok - Edit

Basic. Good flavors. Authentic. Helpful people. Tofu is the pre-fried stuff you buy in packets, so not the best, but they do wonders with it. They will just about make anything anyway you like it.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-26

Low Stars for the New Thai Stars - Edit

I highly recommended the former "Thai Star Restaurant" (notice the singular "Star"), to my husband as having the "Best Tofu Pad Thai" in Ventura. I described it to him as the place that took over the Tipps Thai #2 location. When Tipps downsized back to just one location in Ventura, I decided to try Thai Star anyway.
I used to call up Thai Star for a takeout order of their Tofu Pad Thai then rush over to pick it up. I would just eat it ALL in my car. It never made it home. In fact, it never even made it out of the parking lot. It was that good.
Today, as we drove up into my usual parking space something felt strange. We walked up to place the order for my usual Tofu Pad Thai. I noticed when I ordered everyone seemed different.
When I opened the takeout box, I immediately saw the portion was much smaller than usual. I grumbled about this as I took my first bite of the steaming noodles and again noticed that this time the ground peanuts were missing... And, where were my Tofu squares?
Argh. The flavor was off and the noodles were much greasier. Much to my annoyance the mung bean sprouts had already been mixed in. That's something I look forward to doing myself as I add in my customary squeeze of lime, which was missing as well. After 2 bites, I gave up. "I'm never going to order this again," I told my husband. "It's like a different cook, or something." Definitely not a Chef. Blah!
Then it all hit me. Ooh, this is NOT the same place. This is the grand opening of a NEW place called Thai Star(s), NOT Thai STAR.
Long story short, my husband liked the food and I didn't. He wanted me to give Thai Stars a "3-star" rating, but I cannot do that. With no Tofu in the Tofu Pad Thai, the smaller portions and other important missing ingredients, I have to rate this new restaurant a 2-star at best. If I was by myself, I would probably rate this lower at a 1-star rating. Sorry, but I have to be honest.

Pros: The food was steaming hot, My husband liked the food, Parking is plentiful

Cons: The Pad Thai was lacking many ingredient, The food was too oily, I thought the taste was off

Return to Ventura Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Stars closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.