Thai Pothong

Contact +61-2-95506277

294 King Street, Newtown, New South Wales, 2042

Serves meat, vegan options available. The Thai food menu includes an extensive vegetarian section. Large and busy restaurant with a Thai imports gift shop. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 6:00pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:30pm-10:00pm

Category: Ovo, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by VeJo

Loved it - Edit

Overall had a nice experience. It was very busy however we did not wait long at all for anything we ordered and the staff were lovely. I had the Vegan Chicken Cashew Nut stir fry with rice and it was delicious! The 'chicken' also tasted a lot better than any other mock meat I've ever had. My partner tried it and thought they might have messed up my order with real chicken ... The dessert was also amazing - Black sticky rice with coconut and mango but I didn't ask if this was vegan I just assumed but could be wrong. The cocktails were also really nice I had a lychee margarita!

Pros: vegan mock meat, lots of options, great service

Cons: very busy restaurant

Separate vegan menu - Edit

Everything on the vegan menu at Thai Pothong Newtown is full of flavour!

A great place to take friends and family who may not all be vego (yet).

Service is fast, friendly and very accomodating.

Must try:
- Choo Chee
- Pad Ke Mao Vegetables
- Pad Thai

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Great food, Friendly service

Cons: Busy

Make sure you ask for the vegan menu! - Edit

Thai Pothong is a great place for vegan Thai food but you have to ask for the special vegan menu (they have a gluten-free one too) or you can end up with something non-veg (even if you order from the vegetarian section of the regular menu - confusing!). I particularly love the vegan choo chee and mock duck salad. It's a big, noisy place so the atmosphere can be overwhelming at times but you'll always get a seat!

Pros: Lots of options, Friendly service

Cons: Atmosphere can be overwhelming

Veg UNfriendly and abusive - Edit

People should check very carefully about anything labelled as allegedly vegetarian in this place.

I was shocked to find this restaurant listed on this site as veg friendly, in view of my one and only experience of the place. It was one of the most veg UNfriendly places I have ever been to. The menu displayed outside listed a large number of veg dishes, so I decided to take my mixed veg-omni family here for a special occasion. On closer inspection once inside, the first supposedly veg item was vegetables stir fried with oyster sauce. Actual oyster sauce made from dead oysters. We asked what was in the other 'vegetarian' dishes. Every single one of them contained both chicken stock and oyster or fish sauce. They could not make any dishes without these, as the sauces were all pre-made. They said we could have fried rice without the meat, eggs and prawns.

This sounded pretty boring and non-special so we decided to go elsewhere. But we politely explained to the waiter that chicken stock and oyster/fish sauce are not vegetarian and should not be labelled as such on the menu. He proceeded to argue relentlessly with us that yes they were and that vegetarians come here all the time and eat these things.

I noticed that the place had a received an award from the Thai restaurant society. So I sent them an email the next day describing the problem. Well guess what, there is no such society. It is simply a fabricated entity which is actually this restaurant! No wonder it wins the best restaurant award every year! Five minutes after sending the email I got a phone call from the restaurant owner who abused me and repeated the same diatribe that we got on the night - that it is okay for vegetarians to eat chicken stock and fish sauce, that we all do so, and that the vegetarians who come to the restaurant all eat it as it is in everything.

If this place has in fact changed more recently, I acknowledge that has to be a good thing. But I would not trust anything they said or put on their menu. I will not be ever setting foot in the place. Their audacity in wanting to be listed on this site is further evidence of their wish to dupe vegetarians, as far as I can see.

Pros: None

Cons: Misinformation on menu, Unfriendly staff , Abusive owner

Excellent Thai that caters well for veges - Edit

I've been frequently Thai Pathong for years and have seen the vege menu consistently grow, and they now have an exclusive vegan menu. My personal fave is the mock duck salad and the tofu choo chee.

The service is excellent, and a good place to go if you're with meat-eaters who won't go to a vege resto.

PS. There is another Thai Pathong in Marrickville which doesn't have the same vego options unfortunately.

Pros: Thai, vegan options, service

Surprisingly extensive options - Edit

Thai Pothong have introduced a vegan menu, and you need to know to ask for a it. Once you do, it offers an extensive list of options, both entrées and mains. You can have a look on their website in advance (http://www.thaipothong.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Vegan-Menu1.pdf). The golden tamarind tofu was very special... and the tofu choo chee was good too.

This restaurant has a very good reputation in Sydney -- the service is fast and friendly, and they get a lot of people through. I've often gone there, before the introduction of the vegan menu, as my work colleagues love it there... but it's been slim pickings for vegans in the past. I don't know if there's a new chef, or they've simply caught onto the vibe on King Street... The vegans are taking over (mwahawhaw). A nice change from the usual choices in Newtown, and good to see a local business supporting vegans, even if they're not vegan.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Bustling but not rushed

Return to Newtown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Pothong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1097 times since Nov 2012.