Thai Muang Vegetarian Cooking Class

• Other Other

First Review by Mike Munsie

Couldn't have asked for more! - Edit

I went to the evening cooking class on 11.04.18 which ran 3.30pm until about 9pm (as far as I remember). It was 1000 bht for this (the pamphlet prices have been updated I think since the happy cow photos) and my friend came as a visitor/follower for 300bht as he wasn't fussed about doing the cooking-just the eating. Ning, the lovely lady who ran the class, picked us up in a van from our hostel and took us to a local Thai Market on the way to the school to show us the ingredients we'd be cooking with later. She walked us around and explained the different herbs and spices for sale, then let us have 10 minutes to look around alone and buy things if we wanted. She even bought a bag of a traditional Thai sweets there- sweet potato balls-for us to try which we're lovely (and vegan!).

Then she took us to the schools location and gave us a drink and our cooking aprons. We chose what we'd make from the pamphlet options at the start of the class, and she was very flexible about everyone making different dishes. I made all vegan food and the two french girls also on the class chose vegetarian which Ning was totally prepared for. I chose to make fried spring rolls, Tom yum soup, pad thai and massaman curry, all of which were delicious! Before making the curry, we all made chilli paste which was so interesting to do.

Despite my friend only paying for a follower ticket, Ning was very inclusive and friendly, offering him chances to make some of her example dishes through the class and to try all the sauces we made so he felt included. She also made extra dishes to us and gave us them to eat after each course so by the end of the class we severe stuffed!!! So definitely don't eat dinner before you go for a class!

At the end Ning gave us a cook book with the recipes of the class. I will 100% go back for another class next time I'm in Chiang Mai to learn how to make the other dishes and to see lovely Ning again. Thank you so much for such a lovely evening Ning!!

Pros: 100% tailored for vegans and vegetarians-no meat/f, Definitely worth the money for the experience, the, Lovely location and laid back atmosphere

Cons: None!

Great class - Edit

My boyfriend and I did this class tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it! We did the night class where pickup is between 3:30-4 and they take you to a market and then to the class. In the night class, you do an appetiser, then either a soup or stir fry (in the day class, you do one of each), a curry and a dessert.
All of the food was cooked from scratch, except the dessert, as the sticky rice takes a while to cook.
There was only 4 of us in the class and so it was quite personal. We learnt a lot and got a recipe book full of all the possible recipes, so I'm excited to try more!
Thank you very much.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-13

Pros: Good teacher, good food, Free hotel pickup, Cheaper than most

vegetarian cooking classes - Edit

you can book a Thai Muang Vegetarian Cooking Class at the backpackers hostel at 237 Thapae Road ... they advertise both vegetarian and vegan cooking options (staff were not able to confirm teacher is vego) ... full day class of 5 dishes ฿1000 (8.30/9.00 am to 3.00 pm) and evening class of 4 dishes ฿800 (3.30/4.00 pm to 9.00 pm) ... private full-day classes of 9 dishes on request ... you can observe (but not cook) cooking classes for ฿300

Pros: vegetarian and vegan options

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Muang Vegetarian Cooking Class closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.