Thai Foon

Contact 412-788-1158

1960 Settlers Ridge Ctr Dr, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 15205

Serves meat, vegan options available. Rice and noodle dishes served alone or add tofu. All signature dishes offered with tofu. Veg items not labeled so be specific.

Category: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by noman

Not a full review, just comments after calling in an order - Edit

Animal products in the curry paste?

I called ahead before visiting and I intended to order a couple of curries with tofu. Based on the menu description you'd expect these to be vegan. However, the lady on the phone said she didn't think they had anything free of animal products and said even their curry paste has animal products. I've never heard of animal products in curry paste but even if she was mistaken I can't say this place is vegan friendly. Didn't seem to care about accommodating vegan diet at all.

To me only places with clearly marked vegan items on the menu, or "vegan option available" on the menu, should be considered vegan friendly. There is another Thai restaurant, Thai Spoon, that is not listed on Happy Cow but actually does mark vegan items and the staff are really helpful about making food vegan. Personally, I would remove Thai Foon and add Thai Spoon.

Pros: I don't know

Cons: My one experience was very non-vegan friendly

fish in curry - Edit

Ate here for the first time & was unimpressed. Ordered the green curry & it was overly sweet. Thankfully intuition led me to ask the waitress once the food came out, if there was any meat or eggs in it - she said it was fried in fish oil & had the kitchen remake it sans the fish juice. I found it to be quite expensive for what it was. The green jasmine tea was really good but, I'd recommend going to the Loving Hut or Mad Mex instead if your in the IKEA area. Both are far superior options.

Pros: jasmine green tea, pretty much everything on menu can be made veg

Cons: fish sauce in curry, green curry overly sweet, expensive

Return to Pittsburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Foon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1118 times since Jun 2011.