Thai Chef

• Veg-friendly
Contact 808-667-2814

878 Front St Ste A 12 (at next to KFC, West Maui), Lahaina, Hawaii, USA, 96761

Serves meat, vegan options available. Little Thai cuisine restaurant located on the backside of the popular tourist hangout Front Street in Lahaina. Offers an extensive menu with nearly 100 items. While a large portion of the food are meat based, there is a "vegetable lover" section with 22 dishes made with vegetable and some with tofu. Choice of mild, medium, or hot spicy. All the vegetable dishes are mostly vegan, including the pad thai tofu without egg. Also spicy chili tofu, garlic vegetable, red curry tofu, fried rice vegetable, and more. No mock meats. Simple set-up and Thai music played in the background.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Take-out, BYOB, Non-veg

First Review by Chia

Great little gold mine in Lahaina! - Edit

Thai is always a great go-to in areas without a ton of vegan options, but it's extra nice when they are very vegan friendly! That is the case with Thai Chef, as they have a 20+ items on their "vegetable lovers" menu which are all vegan. The employees are super nice and friendly and knowledgeable. I asked about what items could be easily made vegan and was told that all the vegetarian menu items were vegan and had no fish sauce, oyster Sauce, chicken stock, or otherwise. My only quip would be that the portions are not huge for the price, but that could just be an island thing.. A lot of things seem to be expensive in Hawaii. Anyway, I give a BIG recommendation to Thai Chef. We went two nights in a row and had some fantastic dinners while staying up the road in Kaanapali. Mahalo!!

Pros: vegan friendly, super nice staff

Cons: small restaurant (show up early, especially on Fri

Thai Chef - Edit

Hard to find! But don't give up, just give them a quick call, they'll help you. I ordered the pad Thai (my first time ever ordering this dish) and was incredibly thankful when they took my request for HOT seriously! The food was spicy and delicious...my mouth was on fire and it was great. This is a great little hole-in-the-wall if you're looking for Thai food.

Authentic Thai food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Thai Chef review.

On a past trip to Maui, Hawaii, on a day that we were to be in the Lahaina area with friends, we decided to give this one a try. We had trouble locating the Thai Chef restaurant since it was situated not on the front side of the street but on the backside of Front Street. We had to ask one of the tour shops for assistance.

The inside of the restaurant is small with maybe 10 tables for seating. The decor was simple. A few Thai artworks hung on the walls, Thai music played in the background. We quickly sat down and ordered our food as we noticed that other diners were coming in, and we didn't want to wait too long.

Our party of four shared the peanut tofu curry, the pad thai, ginger coconut soup, green papaya salad, and the eggplant tofu plus 2 large orders of brown rice. Rice was not included in the price of the main entrees. For each dish we requested medium spicy. Well, it turned out that medium spicy is pretty spicy, a little more than my husband liked, though the rest of us enjoyed the thrill of the chili peppers. Thai people like their food really spicy that's for sure.

The peanut tofu curry, aka panang curry, was pretty tasty ($10.95). The eggplant tofu was saucy and flavorful but overall just okay for me ($10.25). The pad thai dish had a nice taste and the veggies & baked tofu slices were delicious, but the noodle itself was too hard for me ($10.95). The green papaya salad, aka som tom, was decent though it could use more garnish and some more bit of peanuts ($8.95). The ginger coconut soup, aka tom kha, was the one dish that fell short ($10.50). It was too sour (from lime) and lacked the savory and spiced flavor of tom kha that we were all used to back home.

Overall, I thought the food was flavorful and well-spiced for the most part. I liked the spicy factor. As with Thai food, there were lots of salt and sugar in the food, but that's what makes this food addictive. The prices were a bit high for this kind of food (basically veggies, tofu, and spices), but this is Lahaina, and things are more expensive in this area.

Pros: veg friendly, food arrived quickly

Cons: serves meat

Return to Lahaina Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Chef closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1472 times since Apr 2010.