First Review by erbavore

Delicious! - Edit

You can't go wrong with any of the entree selections. The mango and guava juices are also amazing. Coke products. Casual interior. Large, spacious booths to sit at. Very reasonable prices & friendly service. Cash only. Love this place.

Great, all-vegan restaurant, cash only - Edit

What else is there to say? Great small business, friendly service, excellent food, you get to eat with your hands, and you'll leave full! My recommendation is to get the sampler platter for 1 or 2 more people than you have if you really wanna be stuffed.

Pros: All vegan, Small, family-owned business, Get to eat with your hands

Cons: Cash only?

Best ever - Edit

Little Africa is by far the best restaurant in Grand Rapids. It is impossible to leave hungry and to spend more than twelve dollars. It's also BYOB, so if you bring a bottle of wine, Lou will provide glasses for the table. Not open on Sunday or Monday, unfortunately. Don't forget to bring cash!

Pros: Great food, Good atmosphere, Super affordable

Randomly opens and closes on a whim - Edit

I wish I could review this place. My husband and I were very excited to try the food after reading great reviews and receiving a word of mouth recommendation. I called ahead in the early afternoon to make sure the place was open. The person who answered the phone said they were open until 9pm. When we arrived a couple hours later the place was closed. No sign. No explanation. We wandered around the neighborhood for 30 minutes hoping someone would come back. Nope. We called and got the answering machine. We called again an hour later and got the machine again. A proprietor on the block told us that randomly opening and closing on a whim is a regular occurrence at this restaurant. We are from out of state so we won't have the opportunity to give it another chance.

Cons: Random, unreliable hours

Amazing Food! - Edit

So yummy! Trust the reviews. Amazing, and reasonably priced, friendly vegan place. I had never had authentic Ethiopian food and I was really impressed. Definitely worth the trip!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: NONE!

SIMPLY AMAZING - Edit

We took our kids to the Children's Museum in GR for the day and were about 8 or 9 blocks away from this restaurant. We decided to walk there, although a bit chilly that day, to see if the reviews from this site were true. As a previous reviewer stated, this place is a whole in the wall and there is only one employee (at least when we were there). We'd never eaten this type of ethnic food before but were amazed at how delicious it was. Our 6 and 8 yr old loved it, although my son's dish was a little to spicy for him. Portion sizes...ha...bring your appetite because we all had "doggy bags" to take home. Service was slower but the wait was worth it. Really decent prices. As I mentioned before, we'd never tried this type of ethnic food so when we asked for a fork, the owner looked at us kinda funny but provided us with some. This type of food is eaten without utensils. Our family of 4 walked out of there for $40 and that's including a very very generous tip. Would like to see some desserts on the menu but other than that this place settles on the taste buds nicely.

Pros: Great Food, Low Prices, Nice Atmosphere

Cons: Slower Service, Place needs updating, Desserts needed

Trust the Reviews - Edit

Trust the reviews: the food here is good! I would never have walked into this place without reading about it. "Hole in the wall" is the perfect description for this restaurant. Often times nobody is there eating. The menu is plain and not 100% clear. For example, what does "all you can eat" mean? (For the record, we discovered it means you're served a little bit of everything and if you want more you just ask. Not a bad deal!) However, all the dishes are fantastic and hearty. They'd be perfect for the dead of winter. You can specify spiciness. Also, the guava juice was delicious! I can't wait to return.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 20, 2011

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Vegan

Cons: Styrofoam takeout containers

One of Grand Rapids' Brightest Gems - Edit

I find Teshlou's Little Africa to share a lot with the city of Grand Rapids: both are unassuming, thoroughly satisfying, cultured and - used liberally - delicious!

After a first visit to Grand Rapids my date and I attempted to go to eat at Little Africa but it was a Sunday and the restaurant was closed *note: if you are in the area on a Sunday, just across the street from Teshlou's is a very good Indian restaurant, open on Sundays*

So, my second visit to Grand Rapids I needed to try their only vegan restaurant. Having eaten at a handful of Ethopian restaurants in the past - never entirely vegan though - I was wholly pleased by this little establishment.

It's like being invited over and eating in someone's giant dining room. The owner/cook/only employee on site is friendly and happy to inform customers about the menu offerings. Service can be a tad slow but, the food being as good as it is, you'll most likely sit and savour it for quite awhile.

All dishes (about 8-9 choices) come atop delectable African flatbread. There are also a few drinks on the menu - I ordered a tall glass of guava juice. In terms of food I opted for two "dishes" while my date, cleverly, ordered only one. Alas, I was too ambitious and there was no way I would finish two dishes on my lonesome. Please note that the minimal cost of dishes does not translate to minimal food - the portions are large.

We both enjoyed our meals though next time I may go for something a little less spicy.

This is Ethopian food done right, done healthy and done deliciously. Visit Grand Rapids - especially for the mind-blowing summer extravaganza that is ArtPrize - and visit this restaurant. 4.5 Cows on 5!

Pros: All vegan Ethopian!, Owner/cook, Price

Cons: Food a bit spicy for me, Service is pretty slow

Awesome Food - Edit

I was on a visit to Grand Rapids last summer with family and visited this restaurant. I was little skeptical when I saw outdoor, it was very unassuming, but when I entered inside I was pleasantly surprised. It was very clean and the owner was very cordial and friendly. Since this was first time I was going to try African food, he explained very nicely each of the food items. The price was awesome for the portions he gave me. My wife and I loved it. Unfortunately I forgot the name of items I ordered but each one tasted awesome. You should definitely try this. I am looking forward to eating here the next time I will be there.

Pros: Delicious, Very Clean, Friendly

Fantastic - Edit

This is the best restaurant in Grand Rapids-possibly all of Michigan. Teshlou is the happiest person in the world! He is always very outgoing and you can truly tell that he loves what he does. The restaurants is clean and aesthetically pleasing-very authentic. I HIGHLY recommend the hot tea! The prices are extremely reasonable and the food is delicious and filling! A++++++

wonderful wonderful experience - Edit

We chose this restaurant based on the reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. This was one of the best ethiopian restaurants ever. The greatest meal!! He recommended the sampler and i am so glad he did. It was perfect. He is a one man show and it was not busy when we were in there, i can only imagine it gets stressful if full but just be relaxed and not in a hurry. The pricing seemed straight forward to me, we loved it there...

Pros: food taste/flavor/variety, basic atmosphere, owner authenticity

Cons: could be slow if busy

Great! - Edit

This is definitely my new favorite restaurant. It is located in a comfortable, trendy part of town and has a great atmosphere; the lighting is warm and the music is very calming. Most importantly, the food is amazing! I've had the "Soy Curry" and the "Red Lentil" and craved them both for the entire week until I could go get some more! Everything is served on African flatbread, which is delicious, and all of the food is eaten with your hands (but it is not messy). The tea is amazing as well. I saw that some of the other reviews said there were problems with the pricing, but the prices are clearly stated on the menu, (maybe they weren't when those people wrote the reviews), and the prices are totally reasonable - I think it was $5.50 for one (very large, filling, and healthy) dish. Both times that we went the prices were consistent so we haven't had any problems with that. There are group platters for up to six people, combo platters for individuals, single dishes, soups, juices, tea, coffee - the list goes on. The restaurant is totally vegan and it's very nice to not have to worry about what I'm going to be ordering! The service can be somewhat slow, because the owner not only serves all of the tables but also cooks all of the food - he runs the entire thing by himself and he is very polite and friendly. Still, it only took about an hour (give or take some) for us to sit down, relax, drink some tea, have our food, and leave - the only time that we were really waiting was when we were waiting to place our order, and the food was done shortly thereafter so it really made no difference. There are tables for larger parties and plenty of booths for parties of 1-5. Carry-out is also available. It is all non-smoking. This is the only totally vegan restaurant in Grand Rapids and I would highly recommend it!

Pros: excellent, healthy, & totally vegan food, a wonderful, calming atmosphere, a local restaurant, not a big chain!

Do you want the perfect meal? Vegan or not? - Edit

This place is wonderful. It's like heaven in your mouth. The man who runs it is great and the combination platter with the injera (African flat bread) is to die for. You can't beat it. The prices are fair and you are supporting a one man, authentic restaurant. Beautiful artwork display also. The whole restaurant is vegan too!

Pros: the injera) is great!, big portions, comfy atmosphere

Cons: pricing is wierd

Potential of best and worst restaurant in world - Edit

(revision of old review) After going to this restaurant 50 times in the past 6 months, the below review still holds true usually. The only problem is the consistentcy especially when someone else makes the food. This is by far the best veggie restaurant in town. Its run by a "1 man show". The atmosphere is wonderful. The food tastes even better. I lived in Indian for 3 years of my life. The food tastes EXACTLY like authentic Indian food. Lastly, they serve a black tea that is has cinamon, cloves and other exotic spices. Its simply the best tea I have ever had from a restaurant. Best of all, the LOVE that is given to the food is apparent. Its like getting homemade food from mom!!!

Pros: tea is best in world, food is sometimes amazing

Cons: inconsistentcy

Best Veggie Food in Town - Edit

Pros: Inexpensive, Very Large Portions, William is extremely +

Return to Grand Rapids Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Teshlou's -Little Africa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8217 times since Aug 2007.