Terra Restaurante Natural

Contact +351-213421407

Rua da Palmeira, 15, Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal, 1200-311

Terra, meaning "Earth," serves vegetarian meals made from mostly organic ingredients. The kitchen relies on the riches of ethnic vegetarian cuisine of the East as well as flavors of Portuguese and Mediterranean traditions. Specialties are presented in a buffet consisting of dishes like sushi, curry, veggie kebabs, and shoarma by way of salads and veg versions of traditional Portuguese. Natural juices, bio soft drinks, beer, Mevushal and non-Mevushal kosher wine, and desserts. Set in a charming old building with a private garden and also a shop selling fair trade artifacts, bio snacks, incense, handcrafted soaps. Directions: Ask to go to Jardim do Príncipe Real. Public transport: bus 92, 758, 773, 790 and nightbus 01. Tue-Sun 12:30pm-3:00pm, Tue-Sun 7:30pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Buffet, Salad bar, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Portuguese, Gourmet

First Review by lunamagae

Probably one of the best in Lisbon - Edit

Wide range of great choices, some portuguese food Imitation. good deserts. nice looking place with terrace. one of the best I've been

Pros: good food, many options

Cons: 16 eur buffet without drinks or deserts but its wo

average place - Edit

This restaurant was fine.

The outdoor patio out back is a beautiful setting for a meal. I went to the dinner buffet. Service was just alright, and the food was good enough.

The vegetables tended to be overcooked. The fresh salads were good with interesting ingredients like beets & kiwi, but there were no vinaigrettes. The hot entree-style dishes were fine, but unseasoned.

The apple crumble dessert was not very good. Overcooked apples and the "crumble" was just dry flour and cinnamon. The raspberry sorbet was excellent though! Creamy & flavorful.

If you want to eat vegan food in a lovely setting, come here, but don't expect really good food.

Pros: ambiance, raspberry sorbet

Cons: food, service

Expensive...but worth it - Edit

Despite some of the other reviews here, I would have no hesitation going back, repeatedly. Great variety and quantities of vegetarian food (much of which is vegan). Very helpful staff. And the patio out back is very comfortable on a warm evening.

Pros: Great variety and quantities of good food , Superb space, especially on the patio

Healthy and delicious vegetarian buffet with lovely staff - Edit

On my first day is Lisbon I learned that Google Maps is not very up to date when it comes to restaurants. Quite a few restaurants do not have their opening hours on Google or a website or phone number. After two of the restaurants were not there at all and a couple more were closed I got to Terra, one of the oldest vegetarian restaurants of Lisbon. There is a delicious buffet and although the restaurant wasn't vegan, the staff was more than happy to tell me what was. There is a beautiful and peaceful terrace in the backyard and the food is delicious. The best thing was definitely the staff though. They all spoke perfect English, were up for a chat and help me practice my Portuguese. Although I felt there were lots of vegan options, one of the waiters came out with a seitan schnitzel they made for me because they felt there weren't enough options for me. The buffet is about €15,00 a person, which is not cheap for a buffet in Lisbon. But the beautiful terrace, the quality of the food and the lovely staff made it great value for money.

Pros: Heart warming staff, Beautiful and peaceful terrace, Healthy and varied food

Once Lisbon's Best - but only on a Good Day - Edit

It's not often that I instantly loved a place so much it excited me just thinking about going back - but this one did. That was back in 2012. Set quite high up in the old town the location is quite special, there is plenty of indoor seating but if the weather is right, just head straight for the truly beautiful and tranquil tree-lined wooden decked garden at the back. The buffet at €15.90 is not cheap but the range and quality of food is truly exceptional including all sorts of hot and cold salads, soup, pizza, casseroles, tofu, seitan, rices and other quirky dishes combining Middle Eastern and Mediterranean influences. Everything seems to be organic here incuding the wine, hence prices are considerably more than the other vegetarian buffet places in Lisbon. On a good night there we've experienced a combination of great staff and a wonderful atmosphere. However, on the most recent visit in September 2015 the staff were simply not interested and just went through the motions. Whist the rustic magic of the place is still there it could definitely do with a little facelift. After you hand over the best part of €50 to the jovial staff member, the 'house' joke of receiving your change in chocolate coins at the front desk is a little worn now. Lisbon is now gradually becoming a very vegan friendly city. If Terra wants to compete it will have to change its gameplan.

Pros: food, setting, atmosphere

Cons: not cheap , staff can be miserable, shabby toilets

Not good for vegans, expensive, meh quality - Edit

I don't really get the great feedback on here. I mean the garden was nice but the buffet was really lacking great vegan options and overall quality I'm afraid. I mean I had a good time there, but the food was disappointing :(

Not good for vegans, overpriced, mediocre food - Edit

The buffet is fairly well stocked, but it is almost entirely vegetarian, NOT vegan, with cheese and creamy sauces dominating. There is no labelling, and the staff is very busy and not particularly able to point out vegan options. This if a buffet- only place, so there's no vegan a la carte menu, aside from some desserts. Also, at 15.60 Euros, not including drinks or dessert, it's overpriced even if you have the full run of the buffet. The food is fine, but certainly not mind blowing or particularly fresh - a lot of stuff seems to come from tins. Skip it, there are better, cheaper, fresher, and more vegan-friendly spots in Lisbon!

Pros: all-you can eat, nice garden, variety

Cons: overpriced, poor vegan options, food could be better

One of the best in Lisboa - Edit

Very diversified buffet, with warm and cold dishes and often vegetarian recreations of traditional Portuguese dishes. Nice location, warm environment and a gorgeous outdoor patio, very pleasant during warmer season. Good option for non-vegetarian people given the variety and familiarity of dishes.

Pros: Outdoor patio, Diverse buffet, Location

Beautiful place and tasty buffet! - Edit

From what I've read, this place tends to be a little controversial :P but what can I say, I absolutely love this place! I dream about those mushrooms!

Yes, sometimes it's not easy to know what's vegan or not, but the staff has always been very nice to me and helped choose my food carefully each time I went there and I’ve been there quite often.

I always have my birthday dinner here, and my non vegetarian friends all love the food!

We always eat in the garden, which of course is a must in this place! There's a lot of variety and the food is really good!

Still, if you are looking for a vegan restaurant, to eat as you please without worrying about it or having to ask the staff about what you can or can't eat, this might not be the place for you.

Pros: Buffet with several options, Wonderful Garden, Tasty food

Cons: Might be hard to tell what's vegan, Expensive

Expensive and not that Vegan Friendly - Edit

This spot is only hype and does not preceed its reputation.
It's expensive, not everything is Vegan and it's not discriminated so you'll have to ask the staff what is Vegan and what's not.
Some plates can be very good as others can be average.
The place and outdoor patio is what really makes it worth.
Updated from previous review on Monday December 14, 2015

Pros: Place and outdoor patio, Central, Principe Real, Cousy and romantic

Cons: Price! Expensive as hell, Not much Vegan choices, Vegan plates are not marked

Um pequeno paraíso em Lisboa - Edit

Um dos melhores restaurantes vegetarianos em Lisboa :) Buffet maravilhoso e com várias opções veganas extremamente deliciosas. A zona do jardim é lindíssima e o interior também é agradável. Só gostava que o preço não fosse tão elevado :c

Strange restaurant, may or may not be vegan - Edit

Lacking any visible storesign, this restaurant is really hard to find. And it's not really worth looking for in the first place.

There is no real atmosphere and the waiters are unfriendly, forgetful and slow. They literally turn and walk away while telling you the day's specials. Everything about each waiter just screams "none of us should be here right now!"

The food is really weird and half of it is cold when it's not supposed to be (e.g. cold spaghetti and cold grilled veggies). Most of the buffet is unspectacular at best.

Also, apparently it's not quite clear whether this really is a VEGAN restaurant at all, or so other reviews tell me in hindsight. The (horribly designed) menu card does not indicate whether everything on the buffet, or only part of it, is vegan. I may or may not have a night's worth of stomach cramps in front of me. Having been told that "Terra" was a vegan restaurant, I am very annoyed to have this happen.

Without even searching, I have seen FOUR regular restaurants in Bairro Alto today that advertise vegan options. It's NOT the case that you need to visit the abominable hippie hellhole that is Terra. Spare yourself the pictures of Deepak Chopra on the walls and just go eat somewhere more convenient, more tasty, more authentic, and less expensive!

Cons: Worst staff in the world, Bad food, Horrible location (practically hidden)

over rated - Edit

Expensive, but you can eat all you want. the outdoor patio is nice, but it's not a good experience, as it tends to get overcrowded, in a way that you can barely move. the food is buffet and it has no indication if it's vegan or vegetarian, you have to ask the staff. and it's not that special or remarcable. A one time experience for me, I'm afraid.

Pros: you can stuff your face with food

Cons: expensive

nice food...don't expect a smile - Edit

I liked the food In here, I think after reading quite a lot of reviews I expected slightly more? It was a little drizzly outside so it was quite busy inside, the staff were ok, our waiter seemed a little uninterested if I'm honest. The food got changed quite regularly and there was quite a nice choice of vegan food available. We will probably go back again just because it's really easy to get a vegan meal which is nice in a city where fish/meat/cheese are quite popular, if the staff were more smiley this review would be much nicer!

Nicht zu empfehlen - Edit

Das Buffet ist keinen einzigen Stern wert. Es gibt vegetarische und veganer Gerichte die jedoch alle nicht geschmeckt haben. Es gab auch keinen Hinweis was vegan und was vegetarisch ist und die Kellner waren sich auch nicht inmer ganz sicher. Das Gemüse kam aus der Dose und war ungenießbar. Es wurde definitif nicht Frisch gekocht. Wir waren absolut enttäuscht und haben noch nie so schlecht gegessen. Leider, denn die Terrasse ist wunderschön. Jedoch würden wir nach diesen Besuch eher abraten in diesem Restaurant zu essen. Leider eine wirklich sehr schlechte Erfahrung!

Pros: Schöne Terrasse

Cons: Das Essen schmeckt absolut nicht

worst Food ever - Edit

80% of the buffet is made from canned veggies and drowned in a horrible spices-premix. The noodles are overcooked and swom in fat. Only the salad was ok. We waited 30 minutes to get a sour-bitter housewine.

Pros: nice Garden

Cons: food and drinks

Buffet muito diversificado - Edit

Em termos de comida, é sem dúvida o melhor vegetariano. A oferta é variada, os sabores são apurados é muito bons. Nota-se que são preparados por especialistas e não por meros amadores. Recomendo a todos, não haverá lugar a arrependimentos.
Atenção que o problema é não saber quando parte de comer, pois sendo buffett apetece provar de tudo e repetir.
O preço não é dos mais baratos, mas vale a pena porque podemos repetir o que quisermos e até levar para casa.
O espaço não é uma beleza à vista. Gosto do pateo interior, que claramente merece melhorias, mas o interior não é nada de especial. Contudo, são coisas menores quando comparadas com a qualidade da comida. Sim, para mim o melhor vegetariano de Lisboa e arredores.

Pros: Diversidade, Espaço, qualidade

Cons: preço

good food. non-existent service - Edit

Good range of buffet food and nice terrace to sit out on waiters barely acknowledged us and we felt a bit like we were somewhat inconveniencing them by being there.

Pros: good food choices, healthy, nice terrace

Cons: poor service

Wonderful place! - Edit

We came here for dinner and it looked empty on guests, but we went inside and saw a garden where there sat a lot of people. The buffé was amazing with great and creative food that was only vegetarian and vegan. The price is a bit high but it was so worth it! The staff was kind and service-minded. They gave us advices on what to do in the city and which beach to go to and so on. One thing that could be better, is if they mark which dishes on the buffé are vegeterian and which are vegan.

We went there for lunch a couple of days later, the buffé was a couple of euros cheaper and also wonderful. Fruit and dessert was included in the lunchprice.

Pros: Creative food, Only vegeterian and vegan food, Great staff

Cons: A bit expensive , Not marked if vegetarian or vegan

Very good restaurant in Lisbon - Edit

Good choice for vegans. The interior is stylish, the location is good and the staff speak excellent English. The range of dishes is good but perhaps lacked a main course or two. Price was very good for the quality.

Pros: High quality location and interior, Excellent staff, Good range of vegan options

Cons: Lacked another couple of main courses

Not for vegans - Edit

If you are vegan, consider more adequate restaurants in Lisbon.
The cook didn't know which plates had milk and which products had dairy (cheese, cream, etc.); it was the waiter that helped him... From that point on, the experience was fearful.
When I nicely confronted the waiter that one of the plates had cheese and nobody told me, his apathetic reaction was to say "yeah" and never return to our table, sending another waiter from that point on.
The food options were generally very caloric; if you don't want caloric options you are left with no protein value; even the tofu was dripping in fat.
As an ovo vegetarian I was left with a few salads (those that didn't had cheese), the hot plates weren't vegan with the exception of the beans. Even the mayonnaise had dairy.
We didn't want to see the garden we ate because we already had food on the plate when we realized that the options were very limited. The desserts were too expensive and once again vegans have two or three desserts (fruit, mostly), if you want to take the chance that the ice cream of the melon soup is vegan as they say...
If you're a vegan alcoholic you're in the clear; there's a great variety of vegan wines!
Fruit juices are 50% water based, if you're lucky.
For an ovo lacteo vegetarian it's not such a bad restaurant, maybe.
It was my fault: I had high expectations based on the high prices. In the middle of the parking chaos it's not worth the price. With so much options in Lisbon, I've been there, I've done that, I won't go there again.

Cons: Water filled juices, Bad knowledge of ingredients, Difficult to park a car nearby

Loved the Food & the Atmosphere! - Edit

We were so thrilled to find an easy place in Lisbon to be vegan! The food was absolutely delicious. The only thing that would have made it better would have been little signs on the food to say if it was vegan or just vegetarian. Most of it was vegan, but we had to have a server come to the buffet every time to remind us what was what.

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of selection in buffet, Helpful staff

Cons: Need signs for vegan vs vegatarian

Overrated - Edit

The restaurant want to represent as a "higher class restaurant" but for that,the service was too bad,our waiter was very grumpy and the food was ok but nothing soecial.they have a buffet with a lot of differrent salads and warm meals.we sat in the garden and there was some confusing classical music out of the box.i wouldnt eat there anymore.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 01, 2014

Pros: Well Located

Cons: Service, Food

great veggie food under the gum trees - Edit

extended buffet serving about every veggie bite you can think of, nicely cooked, that you can eat under the gum trees in their patio :)
looking forward to my next trip to Lisbon because of this place! :)

Pros: great food, great patio

Cons: limited seats (25?) in patio

Contributions +23

My precious!!!! - Edit

The food is deliciously stunning. Spectacular surroundings and varied food.
The cherry on the cake.

Good Variety And Lots Of Veg - Edit

Went for the buffet and really enjoyed it. Nice atmosphere and welcoming staff. Wine on the menu helped it feel less like it was trying to be "worthy" than some other places we tried. Nice to see lots of vegetable and salad dishes rather than lots of meat substitutes.

We went early and buffet was fresh and refreshed regularly between my return visits!

Pros: Choice, Atmosphere, Wine

Cons: Busy, So Book, A Little Pricey

Good food let down by grumpy waiter - Edit

Managed to persuade 7 colleauges to go veggie for a night and most were impressed with the choice on the buffet.
4 of us arrived at opening time and we chose to sit in the lovely, shaded garden. Our waiter must have studied to be a snotty maitre d'. Yes we had some questions, and yes, we changed tables when the other 4 arrived, after I thought they had cancelled, but c'mon man, the whole restaurant team put out some lovely food and then you leave a bad taste in our mouth?
There were lots of vegan options and the wine was good, hard to recommend it though, not knowing whether happy boy will be on shift.

Pros: All veggie, Vegan friendly, Nice garden

Cons: One grumpy waiter

All you can eat buffet with sun garden - Edit

The buffet had lots of options. Not all the dishes were vegan, but those that are were very nice!

Lovely garden to sit outside in.

Pros: Lots of options at buffet, Staff speak English

Cons: A bit expensive, Not all dishes vegan

Very good buffet - Edit

This restaurant has very friendly waiter.

It had on the buffet (March 2014: 16 €) a great choice of food. Some of the meal were refined, all tasted very good.
May be this is the difference to the other restaurant in Lisboa with buffet, the "Jardim das Cerejas". This is cheaper and also not bad, but the meal very not so tasty as in "Terra".

Not perfect, but nice - Edit

Its not the best place in Lisbon and the price is a little bit expensive. However i recomend the visit.

Pros: Friendly Atmosphere

Cons: Expensive Price, Difficult to find a parking spot, When full, become too small

Beautiful place, excellent food - Edit

Is was there for dinner and found the place was really nice with a cosy romantic atmosphere. The menu is interesting, but not everything is possible as vegan. Nevertheless, the are enough options. As some people have already mentioned it may be pricey (especially the wines) compared to other places.

Pros: Fresh food, Nice ambiance

Cons: A little pricey, Staff could be friendlier

Mandatory Stop when in Lisbon! - Edit

This is one of my favourite vegetarian restaurants in Lisbon.

Great tasting, rich and fulfilling comfort food.
The atmosphere is warming and inviting, and the outside space is wonderful, making this a delightful dinning experience.

Lots of variety and good Portuguese food. As a vegan I never have trouble finding options here.

The downsides for me would be:
.Price - at 16€ per person (not including drinks and desserts) I consider it epxpensive.
.Desserts - very little vegan options, which in all fairness are unimpressive in taste.
.Beverages - price/quantity ratio. If I ask for the 1L jar of apple poncho, it has so much fruit and ice in it I only get about half of that (roughly 4 small glasses of actual drink)

I'm not sure where I stand regarding the fact that when I leave I'm so full I wish I could roll back to the car xD

The staff is very friendly and nice.

Overall I highly recommend this restaurant. For an optimal experience go on a sunny day and sit outside. :)

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Atmosphere, Good Service

Cons: Expensive Price, Unimpressive Desserts, Hard to find a parking spot.

The best buffet ever - Edit

A big buffet with a lot of choices, hot and cold mediteranean specialitites, welcoming staff and a funny and delicious Sangria without alcool (but you can order alcool)

Pros: Buffet, Variety, Terrasse

Lovely, cosy atmosphere - Edit

We went here last night, last minute. I phoned them at 10pm and they told me that the kitchen closes at 10.30pm, so to get down there asap. We jumped in a cab and were not disappointed. As it's Christmas, they had lovely decorations up and there was a real cosy atmosphere. There was a large buffet to choose from, all of which i ate was delicious. My non-vegetarian husband tried almost every dish and enjoyed all of it! Great fresh juices and Yogi tea too. A very pleasant evening in a quiet but accessible part of Lisbon.

Basic and bland - Edit

After eating at Paladar Zen the previous day, the food here tasted bland and mediocre, and over-priced. Pizza and pasta, steamed (tasteless) veggies. Was a big disappointment.

Pros: Buffet

Cons: Tasteless, Fried, Contain egg

Good - Edit

We were so excited about this restaurant since we had read so many good things about it. It was definitely good, but we did not think it was great. Some of the food was not hot, it was a buffet and some of the food had become lukewarm. However, the food was plentiful and it was also fairly reasonable. On mistake my husband took some food that was not vegan since it is not labelled and that was a disappointment. It would be helpful if they could label the food vegan or vegetarian. You must make reservations since sometimes they are too full to accommodate you. Also, when it is crowded, you will sit extremely close to the next tabel

Pros: Reasonable, Variety in food, Friendly staff

Cons: Food not labeled as vegan, Sit too close to others, Food not always hot

So very very full! - Edit

This place had so many options to try, so many tasty things. I think it is actually impossible to try everything. Bit on the pricey side for a buffet but the flavours make up for it.

Would be good if they could mark things Vegan/Vegetarian and if they could add Gluten to that list it'd be amazing.

Pros: Taste and Flavour, Set Price, Garden

Cons: Unmarked/unidentifiable dishes

wow - Edit

Went there in 2008 and have to go again. We spent hours eating there, outside, in that beautiful garden! The owner (i think) was REALLY nice because we dont had enough money, and he let us eat anyway, and repeat as many times we wanted. The food was really amazing, many many vegan options for me!

Pros: Options, Amazing place, Really nice people

Good, fresh food -- large price tag - Edit

Terra is a very cute buffet-style restaurant on a quiet residential street in Lisbon. It's got tons of options, both veg and vegan, and the waiter was more than happy to tell us what had dairy and what did not. Overall the food was good and fresh and of excellent variety, but we thought the reviews here overstated things quite a bit. Not a bad meal, but better vegan meals can be found in Lisbon, even buffets, and at much cheaper price tags. Better off going to Jardim de Cerejas, where you can eat for half the price. Yes, Terra has a better ambiance, but we noticed that it was almost entirely tourists and very few locals eating beside us.

In a nutshell: good if you're in the neighborhood, but not the best vegan meal in town. That award would go to The Food Temple, hands down.

Pros: Fresh, Ambiance, English speaking

Cons: Expensive

Beautiful oasis in Bairro Alto - Edit

I came her for lunch and was taken to a table by very friendly staff. At Terra they have a lovely buffet, so that was what I had. There where at least 25 different dishes to choose from and they all looked tempting. I had 2 full plates that I enjoyed in the sun outside. Food was tasty and highly recomended!

Pros: friendly staff - big buffet - good variety -, good food - homemade food

Cons: *

Very Good Mostly Vegan Buffet - Edit

The buffet had a large vegetarian spread, with about 75% of the items vegan. Unfortunately, none of the items were labelled as to which were and were not vegan, but the helpful waiter pointed out which items were not vegan. (Anything that looked like it had dairy or cheese, did.) Non-vegan items were located behind vegan items, as opposed to in the front, so if someone were to spill a bit of a non-vegan item, it would contaminate a vegan dish. It would have been very easy to make all the dishes vegan, for example by using a vegan cheese on the pizza. One other thing I was unhappy about was finding a hair in one of the items I had selected.

Most of the food was quite good, including the squash-cabbage soup, the black bean soup, bread, and various salads.

About 1/3 of the desserts were vegan, but they were out of most of those. I took an apple crumble to go.

The wait staff was quite help in answering questions, both mine, and another diner who was avoiding gluten.

Water is sold, but not provided free.

Pros: Delicious food, Most food vegan, Helpful English-speaking wait staff

Cons: Vegan items not labelled, Non-vegan items pass over vegan items

Always a pleasure - Edit

I've been going to "Terra" since it opened some years ago. It is always a pleasure. What I like the most are the traditional dishes, with all the traditional flavours, but without meat or fish (I find that amazing). I do not try everything in the buffet - some raw salads just don't appeal to my eyes (I have a rather basic taste when it comes to different green leaves). I'm looking forward to my next visit, as soon as possible!

Pros: Great food, Great environment, Beautiful garden

a disappointment - Edit

I ate at Terra a month ago, and it was my second time there, after visiting them about two years ago. This time there wasn't almost any vegan choices and the food quality was extremely low - lots of fried tasteless stuff, disgusting pasta with oil, a soup that looked just like water with some spices... No use of tofu, nor of seitan. Didn't like it at all, there are better places in Lisbon.

Pros: Nice environment

Cons: not enough vegan choices, low quality of food, expensive relatively to Lisbon

good food, vegan friendly - Edit

I went there for the buffet. I am vegan and was very happy with the choice and the taste.
Just that there was - beside fruits - just one dessert (chocolat pudding) was bad because I love sweets.

Pros: good taste, some organic food, vegan friendly

Cons: no vegan dessert at the buffet

Lovely Courtyard - Edit

Went here for dinner. We had a nice table out in the courtyard. The restaurant is all buffet. The buffet is a fixed price and you can go back as often as you like. The buffet isn't labelled, but if you have any questions about what might be vegan, the staff is very helpful. It was great to sample a bit of everything and then go back and have more of your favorite dishes. A nice night out.

Pros: Variety of Options, Great Courtyard

Large buffet but pricey - Edit

This was probably the largest selection of buffet we had in Lisbon. Try a bit of everything before you take more, but do try everything. Interesting fusion of flavours. Was expensive when we went £GBP wise, but it's becoming cheaper with the rate. Was very busy in the evening, but can only take that as a good thing. Turnover of the food was good too, so everything was still hot.

Pros: Big selection, Atmosphere

Cons: Price

Average food - Edit

Its a buffet. It opens at 7h30 on sat nights. buffet had about 15 different meals. It's not vegan. They had cheese, a lot of fried things, salad dressings made with mayonnaise, they had eggs in the chickpea salad.. Food combining is terrible and its fatty. They change the menu every night so may be we didn't go on a good day.. but it was saturday night. Im vegan and I didn't like it. My husband eat pretty much anything and he didn't like it so much either. They have nice beverage though. It's a very small place, service was good but slow. Its good to try may be, because its a vegetarian option and there is not a lot in lisbon, and may be you will go on a better day than us, but i was not impressed.

Pros: cheap, selection of teas and beverage, buffet

Cons: fatty, food combining, not so healthy

Yummy Buffett - Edit

On arriving in Lisbon we headed off to this lovely restaurant for lunch and was met by a friendly waiter who explained the workings of the menu to us. You serve yourself meals from the buffett and the choice was good although there were no descriptors on what each dish was so it was difficult to know what you were having. The food was lovely although the Buffett was becoming a bit sparse perhaps due to the late hour however there were a lot of people in the restaurant. As I am not able eat a lot of food at one sitting I found the price of the meal expensive and would go there as a treat rather than on a regular basis.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service, Nice aesthetic

Cons: No descriptors on food, Expensive, Buffett sparse

Expensive and not very good food - Edit

Ended up at Terra one day as nothing else was open, though we'd planned on going there at some point. It was just shockingly expensive for what it was. There were very few vegan options and nothing was labelled--luckily, the waiter spoke good English and was incredibly nice. In fact, he really went out of his way to accommodate us and got the kitchen to make us a special vegan entree...which we were incredibly grateful for as we were starving but it wasn't very tasty.

Pros: Very helpful staff, Open Sundays, Lots of salad

Cons: Very few vegan options, Nothing labelled, Very expensive

All-you-can-eat buffet with an extensive range - Edit

Very pleasant restaurant. All-you-can-eat buffet, with an extensive range of soups, salads, vegetables, pasta and rice dishes, and the odd mock-meat item. Vegan buffet items aren't labelled, but I was able to identify which were suitable with the help of the staff.

The restaurant also serve a variety of desserts (including some vegan options) and alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks. These are not included in the buffet price.

My friend and I ate in the garden, which was pleasant albeit a slightly strange experience as they were playing instrumental hymn music on the speakers!

A little pricey but definitely worth a visit.

Pros: high quality food, friendly staff

Cons: pricey, could do with more vegan items

An oasis in a vegetarian desert - Edit

This a bit difficult to find restaurant is a life saver when you stay in Lisbon (a carnivore's dream).

The interior is very cosy, the staff friendly and helpful and the buffet that they have in the evenings is full of choice, salads, pasta, mock meat dishes, vegetables, some of them very original and hard to recognize. So, if you are vegan it's advised to ask the waiters if your dish is safe. It's not cheap but well worth the money.

This was by far the best vegetarian offering in Lisbon not that that's difficult considering that you are hard pressed to find a restaurant that has a single meal without fish or meat or both of it.

Pros: cosy, delicious, friendly

Cons: somewhat pricy, difficult to find

Good buffet - Edit

We went there for dinner. There was a good selection of vegan food at the buffet. They still seemed to think there wasn't enough for vegans and asked the kitchen to make something additional for us. If we had known that it was a seitan schnitzel we would have declined. (Meat substitutes seem to be excessively important in Portguese vegan cuisine.)

Anyway, the buffet consisted of several delicious salads and severals main and side dishes.
The waiter told us which dishes are vegan and which are not; in the menue you can even find information which beverages are vegan.

The price was around EUR 16,- per person (excl. dessert and beverages) which is quite a lot for Portugal. In our case it was justified though since we were very hungry.

Pros: good vegan choice, friendly staff

Cons: a little pricey

Noblesse - Edit

This is a restaurant with a very big buffet. You have a lot of choices and the most of them is very tasty. The prices are the highest compared to all the others I've visited in Portugal, but the food is it worth - no doubt about it. It is very professional - only the christmas decoration and music bothered me.

Pros: excellent food

Cons: christmas deco and music

A must-visit on your Veg* trip to Lisbon! - Edit

I loved my buffet experience at this restaurant in the spring of 2008. The food was excellent and I managed to get by without speaking any Portuguese. I highly recommend visiting this restaurant for a casually elegant dinner.

Pros: Excellent food, Casually elegant, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: On the expensive side, Staff tend to speak Portuguese only

Picturesque spot with a bountiful buffet - Edit

Nice location and a wide variety of dishes with interesting flavour combinations, though I was surprised the vegan part became smaller and smaller as I asked questions. Rather pricey for being Portugal, yet it is apparent that they put some thought into the food they serve. A good pick if you want other people to know what a plant-based diet has to offer.

Freakin' Fantastic - Edit

We ate at Terra on the last but one day of our honeymoon.

Had we found it sooner, I'd have eaten there every day. There was a massive range of foods, lots of vegan-friendly stuff, very friendly and knowledgeable waiting staff.

The atmosphere was warm and felt authentically Portuguese, for anyone who might be worrying about missing out on some 'culture' by eating with conscience.

Just wear flat shoes - as this is a little off the beaten track and those Portuguese pavements are knobbly and uneven!

Pros: FOOD! YUM!, Knowledge, Friendly! Yay!

Cons: Stupid knobbly pavements all the way!

A relief to escape the sardines in Lisbon! - Edit

Lisbon is not the easiest place to eat if your a vegetarian. It was a relief to come here and enjoy a variety of fresh vegetarian and vegan food without worrying about what i was eating.

This is a buffet style restaurant however, it isn't crass and bad quality - which i usually associate with buffet food. It was very fresh and served in nice dishes, the food was constantly replenished.

Good choice of vegetarian wine, Friendly English speaking staff. The outside area is brilliant - I really felt like i was on Holiday.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Staff, pretty Garden area

Nice buffet, but not much vegan choice - Edit

We went to the restaurant as second choice and found a nice buffet, not too many vegan options, but what we had was delicious and we stuffed ourselves - still we think that the buffet was a bit expensive with 15,90 € per Person. Staff was friendly, the place is nice, but a bit loud and crowded.

Pros: good food, nice staff

Cons: a little tricky to find, expensive, small vegan options

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, but always packed - Edit

The food was very good, even though the vegan options were a bit "boring". You might stand in a line for some minutes before you can get to the buffet, since this place appears to be very popular. All in all a bit expensive, but worth the trouble of walking up one of the Lisbon hills.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Staff, Nice garden

Cons: Price, Too busy

worth a visit - Edit

Mainly ovo-lacto veggie buffet. A good choice for veggies but quite small for vegans. The soup was vegan and 1 or 2 main dishes along with a few salads. Lots of cheese on many of the salads. Lists vegan desserts but only 2 available when I went - 1 a nut and fruit salad.

Pros: lovely setting eating in the garden, good range of drinks, helpful staff

Cons: not enough vegan options

Good Vegetarian Buffet in Nice Setting - Edit

We went here based on Happy Cow reviews, but didn't quite realize until we got there that it was a buffet, as all of the vegetarian restaurants in Lisbon seem to be. We thought it was it little pricey (15.90 euros per person for lunch or dinner, not including drinks or dessert), but the buffet did include a great variety of hot and cold dishes, most of which were quite good. We arrived towards the end of the lunch shift (lunch ends at 3:30 PM), and the staff was good about not shutting down the buffet line until they were sure we had eaten all we wanted. The inside dining room is pleasant (it was too cold and wet to eat outdoors), and the restaurant is very popular -- however, we got in without reservations. Location is definitely off the beaten path, so map your route carefully!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 21, 2010

Pros: Wide variety of food on buffet

Cons: Difficult to find, Seemed expensive

Excellent quality and value - Edit

This restaurant had a very welcome staff and atmosphere.
The buffet had a great choice of hot and cold items.
Everything was very tasty and fresh. The restaurant was spotless and well maintained.
I have eaten in vegy restaurants throughout the world and this was amongst the best. It was certainly number 1 for value for money.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, friendly staff

Tasty but pricy - Edit

Do check the opening hours to avoid disappointment! Food is bit heavier than in other Lisbon buffet style veggie restaurants, but very good. Almost everything vegan. Has some Portuguese dishes. Very crowdy when open. Prices are higher than usual.

Pros: Food, Service

Cons: Opening hours, Prices

Delicious fresh food to suit every taste - Edit

This has to be the best vegetarian restaurant in Europe. What variety! Hot and cold dishes, constantly being replaced or replenished by the staff. A real taste of Portugal, with vegetarian or vegan versions of the local dishes. If there was a code to distinguish the vegan dishes, I didn't spot it, but everyone in our group found plenty to eat. We made so many visits to the buffet table that we couldn't manage desserts, but they looked very good indeed.
The place was very full by 8.30pm on a Sunday (when most restaurants are closed), and we were glad we had booked. We walked up (and I mean uphill and up long flights of steps) from the Avenida da Liberdade, and I recommend using the Gloria Elevador followed by a gentle uphill walk or a bus from the centre.

Pros: variety, freshness, garden area

Massive Puddings - Edit

We visited in April and sat outside in the lovely terrace. Unfortunately, it proved a bit cold and so we sat inside. It was a bit cramped inside but the decor was very nice. The food was served as an all you can eat buffet. The sheer variety on offer was very good. Apart from the potato dish I had, nothing was really amazing but it was all good food.
The drinks menu is extensive with more herbal teas than a health food shop! They also serve mocktails. Pudding is not included in the buffet price. I had a typical Portuguese rice pudding. The waiter was so confident I would like it he said he would not charge if I did not want it! My wife had an apple pie - it was OK but served cold. Warning - the puddings are massive. One between two is plenty. A good night but perhaps a bit pricey. I would recommend a visit.

Pros: Teas, Good food

Cons: Cramped inside

Delicious - Edit

An incredible selection of delicious food. Service was great. I highly recommend this quaint and cozy buffet. The only con was the extremely large portion of tiramisu was still frozen inside as well as the brownie that we had to replace it. Once it thawed it was a delicious as everything else. Best meal we had while in Lisbon.

Pros: Selection, Service, Decor

Cons: Location, unthawed desserts

Very nice - Edit

this is a great restaurant with a big buffet that they are changing all the moment with more fresh food.If you have the opportunitie go to the garden, its beautifull, but even in the inside its cousy and nice.The value is great for what you have.Only the drinks and the desserts i think that they are kind of expensive.
They also sell magnets, cockies, japamalas and so on

Non Smoking

at dinner they normally have groups so sometimes is a little bit hard to be there, it gets very noisy.

Its not in the center, but is not hard to find it, the price is normal for what you have, but dinners can be very expensive...

Pros: food , garden, staff

Cons: price, location

Prepare to be FULL and very satisfied! - Edit

Terra give a great deal - the famous buffet is just too tempting to resist going back again and again (15 euro each, bargain!). Add to that a couple of bottles of 6.1% ice cold Super Bock beer and you have a really contented diner. The range of dishes available to try is really stunning and there's no limit on going back again. My only small complaint is that they are not clearly marked as vegan or veggie, though it was usually clear which ones had cheese in. Sorry to say we were so full we didn't try the puddings, but all made in house and looked good. The cashier even took the trouble to come out onto the street to direct us to a nearby bar to continue our drinking. I really recommend Terra!

Pros: The quantity!, The range of dishes, Friendly staff

Cons: Does not distinguish vegan/veggie dishes

One of the best. - Edit

This is a lovely place to eat in a fabulous city - Lisbon, which has (for a country not overpopulated with vegetarians) several nice non meat restaurants to choose from.

This one has a posh, romantic vibe to it so I took Mrs Sensible along... and she loved it too. And as Terra has a fairly cultured atmosphere and I don't recall seeing any riff raff there on my any of my visits.... apart from my good self of course!

There's plenty of choice to be had at the extensive buffet display and the food was imaginative and extremely tasty. I ALWAYS look this place up when in Lisbon and have never been disappointed.

As it's a fair walk up the hill from town my advice would be to grab a taxi or if you're feeling particularly brave take the No 92 bus up from Baixa Chiado, which (as is the case with some of the trams out here) can be a bit of a white knuckle ride.

Lisbon is fab, and Terra is definitely not to be missed while you're here. Top stuff!

PS - Also, while in Lisbon take the ferry to Cacilhas and visit the Lighthouse restaurant right next to the ferry port for VERY friendly staff, nice dark beer on tap, great views and good veg soup and salad amongst the (mainly) fish menu.

Pros: Posh, Romantic, Tasty

Cons: Off the beaten track

Ok - Edit

I'm a bit surprised to see all these excellent reviews. For me, the food was ok, but nothing special. There was lots of vegan options, but everything tasted a bit bland. The garden is a nice place to eat, but the restaurant was a bit crowded in the evening.

Terra - Edit

After reading all the positive reviews on the website, we decided to visit the Terra Restaurant during our stay Lisbon. The restaurant is located in a very nice location and if you have the chance, you should definitely try to get a table in the garden; its very nicely decorated and has a very pleasant atmosphere. The buffet offered many options which were indeed delicious, worth trying! The place was considerably full so it took them some time to bring things that we ordered (mainly the desert!). When we were there we paid €14 for the buffet, about €3,5 for a juice (from a bottle, not freshly prepared) and €5 for a desert. If you have the chance, I would also recommend "Oriente Chiado".

Pros: food, atmosphere

Cons: a bit pricey

Great food! - Edit

I was super excited to try this place. The buffet had a lot of vegan options. We stuffed ourselves silly. The staff was very friendly and pointed out all the vegan options for us and we piled our plates full.
It was very vegan friendly with lots of choices.

Loved this place - Edit

We went to this restaurant in june 2008, after reading the reviews on happycow site.
We liked the tasty buffed, which was plenty of choice, and also my husband who is not vegetarian appreciated it very much.
We ordered the drink of the day (sort of strawberry virgin cocktail) and we found it delecious.
The place itself is very nice and the surroundings are beautiful.
We definitely would go there again if in Lisbon.

Pros: great choice buffet, beautiful garden, nice surroundings

Terra - Edit

After all the positive reviews on this website I had to go to this place. Unfortunately I was disappointed. The food was good, the buffet really had a large range of dishes, all very tasty. The staff however, was not friendly, this surprised me because the Portuguese are in general very helpful. They wished to put me at a table in a very dark corner. As a lone travller you know this can happen, but not when the restaurant is otherwise empty and there are not many reservations. They forgot my drink order, and when I finished my meal they did not inquire if I wanted anything else, although I would have liked to have a dessert. They did not show up until I got up to pay the bill. The unhelpfulness was not due to lack of staffing. It definitely put a damper on what otherwise would have been a very good meal.

Pros: good quality food, wide range of dishes, noce looking place

Cons: unfriendly staff, a bit expensive

Teresa Anselmo I am the owner of the restaurant and, besides the private answer I've sent to Marike, I'd like to explain everyone that I've investigated this and found that it was a new employee, not yet fully trained and shy of speaking English. We are aware of his limitations and are working together to surpass them.

Unfortunately on this occasion he was not adequately supervised and we fell short of our usual standard. We've already taken steps that hopefully will prevent this from happening again.

Nevertheless, if someone ever has a similar experience at Terra, please ask to speak with the owner and either I or my husband will correct things without delay: we have a restaurant because we delight in providing a happy, vegetarian, dining experience!

Best of the bunch - Edit

This was the best of the several veggie places we tried in Lisbon (Feb 2009). Nice mix of different styles of food, pleasant atmosphere. A bit on the pricey side for a buffet, but by no means extortionate.

lovely atmosphere outdoors - Edit

the outdoor seating is wonderful at night. the food was delicious. the service was very good. everything was clean and well presented. went twice. will go back again next time in town. yum!!!

Great Restaurant - Edit

Went here a couple years ago after scouring Lisbon for other veg restaurants listed on Happy Cow. The others were either closed or we couldn't find them. I'm glad we settled on Terra, not only was the food fabulous but the setting was beautiful in the courtyard. The only thing that would have been helpful is if the vegan dishes were marked.

Pros: food, atmosphere

Cons: vegan food not marked

Perfect all year-round, magical at Christmas! - Edit

I'm a bit ahead of the season but I'm just missing all the Christmas decorations and old world charm of Terra at Christmas!
Last year I had a perfect Christmas party there and I'm planning to go there again. Pity there is no picture of the place with the decorations. I'll post some later on. (The food is great, by the way!)

Pros: Amazing Food, Magical at Christmas, Friendly Staff

Best vegetarian restaurant in Portugal! - Edit

Thanks to Happy Cow, we've tried a fair number of restaurants during our holiday in Portugal. In Oporto and Lisbon there's a surprising number of restaurants but Terra is in another league to most of them!

This would be a great restaurant anywhere in the world: superb food, tasty and colourful, miles away from the "vegetarian diet" you find in so many places, real vegan desserts, wine... And then there is the decor, the friendly staff and a secluded garden where we ate even though it's almost November!

An inter wall with awards and press clipings testifies to the popularity of Terra! Which takes me to the only drawback of the restaurant: arrive early as it can get crowded! Terra is a great reason to visit Lisbon again!

Pros: The food!, The garden, Very clean

Cons: Really... none!

Terrarific !!! - Edit

This IS one of my favorite veggie spots on the planet and I travel world-wide six months of every year. Sometimes I miss this place so much that I call up my friends in Lisbon and tell them to take a few bites for me when they visit it again. If you are at Terra during warm weather the outside garden patio setting is amazing. Also, If you see a some friendly cats there tell them that Michael misses them :) If you are ever in Lisbon you must try Terra.

Pros: Good Food, Staff is excellent, Buffet never runs out

Cons: NONE

Great place..... - Edit

Found this place on the last day while in Lisbon. If I had known about it sooner, I would have gone a number of times. Buffet style with many options vegetarian and vegan. Grandma's Crumble is an amazing dessert. The staff was quite accommodating and it is worth a visit....but slightly hard to find for the first time. The outdoor patio has a great backyard atmosphere....but, if you are there around closing time, you will be overwhelmed with all the bottles being thrown in the trash since the trash receptacles are quite close by. I understand that they need to be put somewhere and space is limited....so I got over it and continued to enjoy the rest of my visit.

Pros: Good food, Good atmosphere, Nice Staff

Cons: Bad location of trash receptacles

Fantastic! - Edit

This place is great. I went there with my family(i'm the only veg.). They loved it too. They didn't expect that there is so much variation on veggie food. nice indoor and outdoor area. i loved it.

Great Place! - Edit

This place is a must for anyone traveling to Lisbon! I ate here with some non-vegan friends on a recent trip to Portugal and even they loved it! We were seated in the back garden area with soft music playing and incense burning. Our waiter spoke wonderful English. We ordered the drink of the day, some sort of Elderberry tea, which was awesome. I asked if the whole buffet was vegan, and our waiter pointed out the few things that were not. I tried a little bit of everything and it was all delicious. Nothing too fancy, but just good filling healthy food: salads, casseroles, vegetables, pasta... And for dessert i tried the apple cinnamon pie, very good though and overly sweet. And they give everyone at the table a magnet with the bill to take home and remember the experience. I would definately eat here again.

Pros: friendly, helpful staff, great food, great environement

Cons: not 100% vegan

Great find - Edit

I took my parents to Terra in order to show them an alternative to their lifestyle. The food was good and it was a great choice to show them that vegans dont just eat grass and veggies *laugh*
Like other reviewers said, the staff is incredibly nice, and there is a great feeling to the restaurant.

I did find it a bit of a hassle tha the buffet did not have labels indicating what was vegan and what was not. I asked a staff member and she did not seem to really know and simply gave me a quick answer. This is more noticeable since drinks and desserts are all labeled whether they are vegan or not, so it seems it should only be natural for the buffet to be as well.

However, I would definately recommend Terra. Loved the choices the buffet presented, the variety of drinks including teas, and desserts available.

Pros: Nice staff, Buffet = try it all, Great fixed prices

Cons: Buffet = no vegan labels

Wonderful hidden gem - Edit

Having tried and failed to find Terra on our first night, we finally made it for lunch on our last day. We were greeted by the owner who recommended a cocktail and the food was fantastic. We had the pleasure of sitting outside in the beautiful (and cool) garden and had a wonderful relaxed meal.

Pros: Lovely garden, vegan cakes, vegan alcohol

Cons: Hard to find (I think), Vegan food not labelled

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Terra Restaurante Natural closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13816 times since Aug 2007.