Terra Nostra Hotel Restaurant

Rua Padre Jose Jacinto Botelho, Furnas, Portugal

Serves meat, vegan options available. High-end hotel with restaurant serving cozido stew which is cooked in the ground by the heat of volcanic vents. Ordering cozido at the restaurant includes with free entrance to the garden and hot spring. Offers a vegetarian cozido option - best to reserve at least one day ahead. Local Azorean cuisine.

Categories: Portugese, Non-veg

First Review by eee135

Vegan cozido - Edit

We called in advance for the vegetarian cozido. You can also watch them remove the cozido from the lake if you show up around 12:30 if you eat it at lunch time. Predominantly slow cooked vegetables with a smattering of chickpeas on top of couscous.

Unlike the other reviewer, our cozido included entrance to the gardens and hot spring, which is well worth a visit when the season is right.

Pros: vegan cozido

eee135 25 Aug 2017 - I'm really glad that your cozido included entrance into the gardens. On my review I wrote it was not included after I asked multiple times and was told that it was not included in the vegan cozido price. Glad to see they changed the policy!

Vegetarian Cozido in Furnas - Edit

For anyone not aware, Cozido is a local stew-like dish made by slow cooking meat and vegetables for 5+ hours in the ground, allowing steam from volcanic activity to cook the food.
After a day of traveling around Furnas and seeing non-vegetarian cozido in every restaurant, I really wanted to find a vegetarian option so I could try this famous dish. I successfully found vegetarian cozido in the hotel restaurant of the famous Terra Nostra Hotel. You must call a day in advance and tell them that you would like to make a reservation for the vegetarian cozido - the restaurant only prepares the vegetarian version of the dish according to pre-orders. The experience of eating cozido in the fancy restaurant of the Terra Nostra hotel overlooking the famous gardens is very special.
The dish itself is a variety of local vegetables (cabbage, carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) served on top of a couscous base with chickpeas. I felt that the dish could have used a little additional salt but I greatly enjoyed the experience of eating a local dish cooked in the ground. If your looking to try vegetarian cozido this restaurant is worth visiting. The price was 16 euros, including a bread and butter appetizer. I did not ask but I think the cozido may be vegan - you can try asking. In addition to the cozido, the menu includes a couple of additional vegetarian salad options.
It is worth noting that the vegetarian cozido does not include free admission to the garden that is written about on many forums (the non-vegetarian cozido comes with free admission to the garden but is also priced accordingly).

Pros: Vegetarian, Ambiance, Location

Cons: Price, Must Order in Advance

Return to Furnas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Terra Nostra Hotel Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.