CLOSED: Teneffus Cafe

Contact +90-5072491606

Aynalicesme Caddesi 16/2, Beyoglu, Istanbul, Turkey,

Cafe and performance venue. Serves a vegan brunch on Sunday. Some vegan items are menemen with tofu, cappuccino with hemp milk, Turkish specialties for lunch, cabbage rolls with olive oil, dry eggplant dolma, lasagna, soy tofu cheese. Wi-fi. May 2014, reported to be fully vegetarian. MAR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Turkish

First Review by charlottesometimes

okay, but wouldn't go for breakfast again - Edit

We went to have beslaat in this little cosy place and I really wanted to like it because the atmosphere was great, very alternative. We caught the owner just brushing his teeth in the bathroom :) He hardly spoke English, but then went on to prepare breakfast for us: it took quite a while and he actually had to get bread from across the street (at least it was fresh). There was no choice in the menu, what we got was the only thing he had. To be fair, it was probably authentic turkish breakfast, but for my taste spicy vegetables, babs ganoush, some raw tomatoes and cucumber, tahin with syrup, and white bread are not my breakfast of choice. Maybe a better place for having lunch or dinner? Staff seemed friendly enough.

does this place exist? - Edit

I came for the alleged Sunday brunch. The door was locked, I knocked, no one answered. I called twice, the second time someone answered who spoke little English (and I unfortuntely speak little Turkish). He said "open" a couple times. So I went back half hour later, door still locked and it looked like the lights were off. Too bad, vegan Sunday brunch would've been great.

Great little place! - Edit

I really like this little spot! As an American, it reminds me of a place in a US college town from the 1980s (I mean that in a good way! :) ).

As others have mentioned, the ordering is a bit freewheeling -- I just let the fellow, once I found him, make me what he wished. It was Mediterranean-themed: a plate with small portions of several things -- a cabbage salad, baba ganoush, rice, two types of stuffed grape leaves, and a homemade sausage-esque type thingie, with a small amount of other fruits and veggies and some bread. It was really tasty! It cost 12TL -- which given what I got, all made by hand, was a good deal.

There is, indeed, smoking inside... but it kind of goes with Istanbul.

The fellow (worker/ owner?) serving me was really friendly, and I heard his story as we talked a bit... as were the customers! It has the great feeling of a community vegetarian spot.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 18, 2015

I just wanted to update that I went several times during my week in Istanbul and was glad I did. Bob seems like a really good guy -- we had some good conversations and he prepared food fresh that was always good and varied (and he will do his best if you have requests!). I feel like this is exactly the kind of place that needs, and deserves, Happy Cow visitors' support!

Pros: Tasty, Homemade & fresh, Friendly community feel

Cons: Allows smoking

getting cheaper and arabbier :) - Edit

they recently hired a cook called bob whose mother is an italian and father is an arab; he brought a fresh taste to teneffüs. they now serve falafel Wrap, only 3,5 lira! full hummus plate is 5 lira.

Pros: really quite, colorful in-design, good music

Great food - Edit

I had a little difficulty finding the place but it was worth the effort. You walk up a flight of stairs and the cafe is on the right as soon as you walk up. Guy who worked there (maybe owner?) was friendly and welcoming.

There is no menu so you kind of just get a little bit of everything. One thing that's kind of annoying is that they allow smoking inside, very common in Istanbul. I didn't smell too much of it but I could see it being an issue if it's busy and a few people light up.

Price wise it was a bit on the expensive side. I had lunch and it cost me around 22 TKL. Veggie food shouldn't be that expensive in Istanbul.

Pros: great food, friendly owner

Cons: a bit pricey

excellent cafe in tarlabaşı - Edit

This place is comfort like a home. Foods are very tasty. Vegan burger, vegan menemen etc. They made coffee with vegan milks. And they made their own plantal milk and tofu. This is awesome.

Return to Istanbul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Teneffus Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2415 times since May 2014.