Contact 212-475-9190

90 Rivington St (at Orchard, Lower East Side, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10002

New York vegetarian cafe in a bright and sunny space. Features a varied menu with an extensive drinks menu. Dec 2012 reported change of name and ownership; previously opearating as Teanyssimo and prior to that as TeaNy Cafe and Tea when it was partly owned by musician Moby. 2015 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY ITS FB.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Italian, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by sparkly_ruth

I adore this place! - Edit

I've been here twice, and I wish it were 10x that many times. I'm not completely sure what it is about this little restaurant, but I absolutely adore it. The food: amazing! The ambient: quaint and relatively quiet. The food again: STILL AMAZING! Everything here feels like it is made with love.

I brought my daughter here after I'd already eaten here once alone. She wasn't as impressed as I was, but we both agreed that the desserts were great, and so was the extensive tea selections.

This is a low-key, laid-back, casual place with a small eating area inside and an even smaller eating area outside. Try the "afternoon tea special"--you won't be sorry!

Pros: Amazing food!, Great desserts, Fabulous selection of tea

Cons: Small, but what isn't in NYC?

Mediocre Food. Worse Service. - Edit

I ordered out using GrubHub. I got a call from one employee of TeaNY about 10 minutes later stating that one of the items ordered wasn't available (the edamame hummus). I was asked to call GrubHub myself to have the item's cost taken off the bill. Then I received another call from another employee 5 minutes later stating that another item ordered (the 3 bean chili) also wasn't available. This employee apparently had no information of my correspondence with the other employee. Classic case of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing. Summarily it was a big headache. Worse, the food that I did receive was mediocre at best. The guacamole tasted worse than store bought guacamole and the chips were stale. My salad tasted like dishwashing detergent. The chocolate cake was the only mildly redeeming factor of this overly-priced, poorly-executed, and terrible tasting sorry excuse for a meal. I would hate to think that someone's first experience with a vegan/vegetarian establishment would be this one.

Pros: Dessert

Cons: Poor service., Abysmal taste., Poor organization.

Not impressed - Edit

Went here recently and wasn't impressed at all.

1-their desserts are mostly from Vegan Treats, so I don't get why there's so much hype about them selling vegan desserts. They're not making it.

2-limited menu for anything else

3-employees aren't very friendly

Pros: All vegetarian

Cons: Limited menu, Selling the same things as everyone else, Not friendly

Good Tea - Edit

The tea flavors are very nice but the food is nothing special and leaves much to be desired for.

Pros: delicious teas, tasty desserts, comfortable seats

Cons: food could be better, tiny space

Dessert Pros - Edit

I stumbled upon Teany while wandering around the lower East side of New York. The bright awning and atmosphere inside were bright and inviting. I didn't sit down for a meal, but purchased a vegan cannoli and scone to go. The cannoli was indescribably amazing. The outside was perfectly crispy and the inside was buttery and fluffy.

The scone was just ok, but I am generally not a big scone fan so that is more of a reflection of me than teany.

All the desserts in the display looked beautiful. They also offer vegan ice cream in a variety of flavours, as well as GF cheese cake.

The brochure for the restaurant says 100% vegan, but the menu lists vegetarian items such as eggs and cheese.

The restaurant is very tiny so I would not plan to go with a group.

Pros: out of this world tiramisu, fun/colourful atmosphere, large menu

Cons: small dining space

Absolutely Loved This Place! - Edit

I'm coming back every single time I'm in New York.

Even though the entrees weren't out of this world, the atmosphere, selections of tea, desserts, drinks, etc. accommodating and friendly staff, pillowed booth seating and potential for meeting cool, interesting people more than compensates and makes this a five star (or, five cow) restaurant.

My wife and I each had an entree, a drink and sampled various desserts.

I ordered the 'Chicken' Parmesan which was rather creative. My wife was a big fan of the vegan cheese. I enjoyed the meal a lot. Perfectly, generously portioned. She ordered a TLT (tempeh, lettuce, tomato) Wrap. It wasn't on par with some I've had before (see Aux Vivres in Montreal) but it was adequate. My wife's juice (concoction of orange, grapefruit and ginger) was outstanding!

Dessert deserves a paragraph all to its own. We stuffed ourselves silly. The display case up front is just too tantalizing! We tried two different vegan cheesecakes (pumpkin and strawberry) and a 'peanut butter, chocolate bomb.' The cheesecakes were a little more firm than some of the vegan cheesecakes I've had in the past. That the pumpkin outdid the strawberry was our consensus. The chocolate & peanut butter bomb was superb - we salivate at the thought of it, still.

Teany is a little place that makes a really big impact. Visit!

Pros: Prices, Charming, Desserts!

Wish I lived down the street - Edit

We were visiting from out of town and found this to be a great lunch place. It is cozy, with great atmosphere and a nice, diverse menu. The owner was the sweetest man and was very hospitable. Our food was delicious (the ravioli were oh-so-good) and the pie (oh, the pie) was to die for. Vegan cheesecake (pumpkin flavor) was the bomb! And that peanut butter/chocolate bomb was so good, i wanted to take all of them home. Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting NYC.

Pros: food!, atmosphere, dessert

Cons: smaller venue, can fill up fast

excellent! - Edit

We spent 2 months in nyc and this was one of our regular spots. The vegan cakes and vegan cheesecakes are out of this world! Great coffee. We often get the vegan ravioli which is excellent. All day breakfast too

Pros: tons of vegan stuff, vegan cakes

Best tiramisu in the known universe - Edit

Aside from the food, which was exceptional, the desserts were all vegan and the tiramisu was exceptional. Normally, vegan tiramisu just doesn't cut it. Usually, the come up with a tiramisu-like substance, but not tiramisu. This tiramisu was outstanding. Hats off!

Pros: Varied Menu, Good Food, Mostly Vegan

Cons: Somewhat slow service

OMG mock chicken salad! - Edit

Went to Teany on a recent visit to New York. Had the "chick'n salad" salad. I don't know what they put in it, but it was delicious! My husband also had an amazing burger. I would definitely visit there again.

Big Teany Improvements Needed - Edit

I ate at Teany during the evening of the snow storm NYC couldn't handle in December 2010. It was a great evening for tea and food, but I was let down by the ambiance and service.

I tried the blood orange tea, and at $5.50 is reasonably priced! Compared to other tea houses I've visited, the overall price of the teas was worth it. The blood orange tea was amazing! It had large chunks of orange peel and other herbal flowers, and other goodies.

The food I tried was the lentil-bean soup and the vegan lasagna. While both tasty, the soup had a little too much pepper spices for my liking.

So why only a rating of 2 cows? For one, the service was rather drab. I don't know if it's typical New York attitude, but I felt as if I was interrupting her life. She didn't offer to refill the pot of tea, took a while to drop the check after I finished my meal, and didn't even collect my plates when I signed my check. The Teany seats some 30 people, and there was only another couple dining. Also, while it's understandable that each person can do as they wish concenring smoking habits, I thought it was very inappropriate that she smoked in the enclosed outside awning. Yes, I could've let that one slide because of the snow storm, but the smell of cigarette was seeping through the cafe.

Also, the music played in the cafe was unnecessarily loud. So loud that the server and her coworker remarked of they should turn down the music because the bass overwhelming the speakers. Even when they turned down the music, it was still loud.

In sum, I can't justify a return to this cafe. Mundane attitudes and uncomfortable eating/drinking environments aren't for me when it comes to dining out.

Pros: Tea, Good value tea

Cons: Service, Ambiance

Sad news - Edit

The first time I went to Teany was about 5 years ago and it was really nice. The staff were adorable, the food was excellent, the crowd was bustling etc. Oh, and the vegan cakes were fantasic. As were the tea sandwiches. Well, that is all gone. The reopening happened and the cafe didn't. It was tragic. The atmosphere was sterile, the staff were drab and awkward, and last but not least the cake I had was no where near the delicious cake of old. The only thing that seemed the same was the tea and that's because it is the same packaged Teany brand. We were excruciatingly disappointed at the obvious changing of ownership and death of an old favorite.

Best chicken salad I've had! - Edit

I had a lovely lunch here. I loved the enormous tea selection, and went with the honeybush vanilla--a great choice! I also enjoyed the chicken salad sandwich. It was, hands down, the best chicken salad I've had. The server was very nice and I liked the atmosphere. Sadly, I did not have room for dessert, but they looked incredible. A reason to go back! This is a great relaxed lunch or tea spot.

Pros: great tea selection, dee-lish chicken salad, nice staff

love it!! - Edit

Teeny is teeny tiny but you can fit alot of good stuff in this little place!!

Everytime I'm in New york I go here. I have sat inside with a warming cup of yummy tea and snow half way up the window and then outside in the sun with more tea and any time of year it is great.

I always pig out on the cakes they are great. They always have cupcakes that I take away.

The quiche is great too.

Infact it is all great!! I like to sit for ages reading about all the teas and try a different one everytime!

The staff are friendly and if it is busy there is usually not too long a wait for a table.

It is good value for money too.

The decor is fresh and fabulous and I love it here!!

Pros: tea, food, atmosphere

Cons: busy on weekend

great place for lunch - Edit

teany is a nice small cafe that has an enormous tea selection which are very good. i enjoyed their turkey club sandwich once. all the other times i have gone there were for tea and a snack of some sort. friendly staff.

Yummy and oh so cute - Edit

Great place for lunch. Light and lovely atmosphere. The food was fantastic. I had the vegan turkey club and my husband had the vegan quice with bolognese sauce. AMAZING! Hands down, that turkey club was the best vegan take on a meat sandwich I've had. I had the masala chai tea which I recommend. The coffee enjoyed by my husband was good too. We finished off the meal with chocolate/peanut butter mousse cake. So good. Moderately priced.

Pros: delicious, vegan, atmosphere

Cons: small space

I go to Teany every time I'm in New York - Edit

It's my absolute favorite restaurant in New York City. Actually, it is my favorite restaurant, period! It is very small, but I'm very small =] Their teas and food are amazing and I love just about everything about it! It's very casual and relaxing even when there are a bunch of people there. Everyone I've met that works there is very friendly and helpful. I tell anyone who is veg or openminded to veg food, to go to Teany!

Pros: amazing food, great selection of teas, friendly employees

Cons: small space, somewhat hard to find

Best Cake and Tea! - Edit

Came for dessert one night and the chocolate cake w/peanut butter mousse is probably the best vegan cake I've ever had! The peach tea was incredible too.

Loved it so much we came the next day for lunch. Three different sandwiches, all were great. Got the chocolate "cheesecake," which was bland and disappointing. (You shoulda warned us Eli!) The teas are so great and the prices are pretty reasonable, except for the crazy $2 cup fee. Don't bother sharing, just get your own pot. I didn't see the fee on the menu, so it was a little annoying.

It's a great fun place, don't miss it. We were so lucky, our friend's apt. was 2 blocks away.

Pros: Friendly service!, Reasonable prices

Cons: Watch out for cup fee, Pretty crowded space

Uber Amazing! - Edit

I was so excited to go! I order a sandwhich but got the salad version of it. It was so good I didn't say anything about the mix up. The chocolate cake is real competition for Wheel of Life's (Irvine, CA) amazing cake. The prices were really good and the tea is amazing. The servers were really friendly and the woman who helped me pick out tea was so helpful. I went home from my trip with lots of tea to keep me warm. It's such a cute place I can't wait to go back!

Pros: Food, Teas, Chocolate Cake

Cons: Not in my home state!

Cute and Tastey - Edit

My mom and I came here for high tea. It was really good. The portions were generous. The service was excellent and the food was fresh. I did speak to Moby later that night at the Duran Duran show on Broadway - he doesn't own Teany anymore - his ex-girlfriend has taken it over.

Pros: Tasty fare and friendly service, Fair prices, Very cute

Cons: Cash Only, Little Crowded, Not Vegan

Awesome Vegan Desserts - Edit

I have to rave on the desserts. My husband got the peanut butter chocolate cake and it was heavenly. Couldn't be better. I got the strawberry shortcake and it was wonderful though it definitely needed more strawberries. Teas were great. Great atmosphere, we lucked out and got a table right away. I wish I had time to try out their tea sandwiches, but I can at least say the desserts were totally worth the visit!

Pros: great food, good atmosphere

Cons: small

Cute, quiet, nice place - Edit

Teany offers an extensive tea and juice menu with light snacks and foods. They were out of their desserts when we went, so we settled for light, smooth ice tea and an absolutely delectable drink, teanychino, which we had with almond milk. It was light years ahead of every day chai lattes in terms of taste and refinement. Their chai latte was extremely understated and good, but paled in comparison to the teanychino. This is, in the end, a great place to get a late afternoon snack or drink.

Pros: Wide tea selection, Iced teas, Ambience

Cons: Out of stock desserts

Cupcake Heaven! - Edit

Teany is great for afternoon tea, the sandwiches are tasty and the cakes are fab. teany really is tiny though so you may have to queue to get in. Most (all?) of the cakes are vegan and some sandwiches (the tofurky club was good) but the menu has lots for vegetarians too.

Pros: cakes, cakes, cakes!

Worth the hype - Edit

I have been hearing about this place for a few years now and I am so glad I finally made it there. The teanychino is out of this world! We had lunch there with two non-vegans and they loved it. One had the "blt" and swore he would never eat the meated version again after tasting how good it was. I had the quiche and a scone that were delicious. The place was small but a perfect scale to feel comfortable in. You really should try this place!

Pros: Delicious food, Great tea, happy people

I love Teany! - Edit

I've been to Teany 3 times - once last July & twice last December. The food is always yummy & the staff seemed helpful. The Teany turkey club sandwich is delicious! The outside terrace is also fab in the summer - you must visit here when in NYC (just round the corner from the fab vegan shoe shop Moo Shoos too :) )

Pros: Great food, Nice ambience, Good value for money

Cons: Can get busy

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: TeaNY closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3788 times since Aug 2007.