Tea Sutra Teahouse

Contact +44-7575010173

2 Leazes Park Rd, 1st Floor, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, NE1 4PF

A specialty oriental tea house offering fine teas and infusion. Serves vegan snacks, wraps, soups, and cakes. Comfortable seating including a raised cushion-only seating area. Offers a variety of treatments including acupuncture and ear candling. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat 11:00am-7:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, British

First Review by hack_man

pleasant vibes! - Edit

The tea is world class and somewhat overwhelming with the choice but nonetheless amazing and also very tasty! You also get refills of hot water to get the most out of the leaves which I was pleasantly surprised by!
Me and my boyfriend went for lunch and purchased a wrap and slice of cake each. Both were tasty, cakes were however a bit over priced.

loved this place!! - Edit

I visited with my sister yesterday for her birthday and we both loved it! It appears everything on the menu is vegan now which is great - amazing chai, delicious wrap and very chilled out relaxing ambience. Will definitely be back for more!!

Pros: all vegan

Great Experience - Edit

I have been to Tea Sutra a few times now and always love the great selection of teas they offer and the calm and relaxing atmosphere that exists there. Today on my lunch break I decided to sample some food and ordered the special, which was the Beetroot Balti, which I have never had before. The balti came with brown rice and salad and the portion size was very generous and had a nice subtle spice to it. Hopefully this will be on the menu for a while yet, as it was delicious. Tea Sutra also do a meal deal where you can get a wrap and soup for just £7. Well worth it.

Pros: Great selection of Teas, Nice food, generous portions, Relaxing Atmosphere

Cons: Service can be a bit slow, Could do with a few more dishes, No Free Wifi

Not just tea! - Edit

I walked up a steep flight of stairs to the toilet, another to the café, then back down to the toilet where I discovered it's kept locked, so went back up again to get the code, then down again! So don't come here if you don't like steps (or can't remember codes). Toilet itself was rather alarming; it had a tiny red light very high up, which did eventually get a bit brighter. The café itself is a welcoming space with a raised area for guests who prefer to sit on the floor. Huge choice of teas, but my palate isn't really discerning enough to tell them apart. The cakes are very nice and all were vegan, which is a nice change (so often all the appetising ones turn out to be eggy and I am left with a flapjack). We ordered a spinach and falafel wrap not expecting very much (they're frequently sloppy and usually cold), and it took a long time to arrive, but when it did we discovered the reason for that: it had been constructed with great care and attention to detail (and was piping hot, too). It was delicious (and so was the salad). Excellent to see there are cafés that really make an effort. I bought some of their vegan raw chocolates, which are very bitter and interesting. I had a disappointing experience when I visited this café between Christmas and New Year and found it closed. I expect the opening times on the website are reliable at other times of year.

Pros: Good food, good cakes, good chocolates

Cons: Inaccessible

Great tea, good food - Edit

Love the tea selection. I find some things a bit pricey. The chai is lush and the food is pretty good, but can be a bit dry. Lovely decor and staff were great.

Pros: Location, Selection of tea, Friendly staff

Cons: Some things expensive, Food a bit hit and miss

Very chilled - Edit

I visited Tea Sutra today for the first time in over a year. They've replaced a lot of the wicker furniture and low coffee tables with more practical wooden tables and chairs, but the chilled-out vibe is still the same.

Tea menu is enormous as ever - I had a very lovely pot of soy chai. They offer a few different wraps and a main dish of the day.

There's a selection of cakes on the counter and a chiller cabinet of raw cakes and snacks and raw chocolates. I had a raw vegan white chocolate cheesecake, which was delicious and very very filling.

Tea Sutra always leaves me feeling very relaxed - a lovely, calm place for tea and lunch, especially to escape the crowds on match day.

(While you're there, go down the road to HiYou chinese supermarket for a good selection of tofu, noodles, tea, condiments and awesome vegan ice-cream mochi).

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Huge tea selection, Chilled atmosphere

Cons: No wheelchair access

Vegan cake - Edit

Lot of choices in tea, but made the wrong choice for myself. Didn't like the tea I had selected. I liked the vegan cake, but was too sweet.

Pros: Lots of teas, Vegan or vegetarian, Vegan cakes

Cons: More options for cakes, Pricy, Friendliness

Chai - Edit

Soya milk chai is amazing! Great food. A lovely, chilled place to come and relax with friends. Unfortunately, there is a wide range of uncomfortable seating.

Pros: Soya chai, Yummy vegan food, Beautiful teapots

Cons: Uncomfortable chairs, Not wheelchair accessible, Sometimes eerily quiet

teas and food - Edit

Wide range of teas. My lemongrass & ginger was served in a glass, leaf-straining pot. Nice selection of baked treats, some vegan. Pumpkin soup (vegan) was available. Wraps and "Chinese dhal," which was served with brown rice and small green salad. Was it something I ate earlier, or was it the dal? I was very ill immediately after eating half the bowl of dal.
There is only one small eat-at table; otherwise, bamboo furniture and low tables.

Pros: lots of teas, calm setting

Cons: small selection

Karm & Tranquil - Edit

At last somewhere vegetarian to go in central Newcastle after the demise of Supernatural Cafe a few years ago and more recently the decision to sell meat at Bob Trollops vegetarian pub. Fantastic location overlooking Percy Street and near the main shopping area of the city. Very well sign posted outside and accessed by stairs to a peaceful and calm setting with plenty of comfortable seating including a raised cushioned area where you can relax in true oriental fashion. Essentially a tea house that also serves a decent selection of vegetarian and vegan snacks such as hummus and spinach and guacamole and salsa wraps, home-made burgers, soups, cakes and small sweet and savoury bites. There appears to be 1 soup, 6 types of wrap and 3 mains available every day. The range of teas is pretty phenomenal including some very rare examples that are quite expensive. Definitely worth a go for a hot drink and snack if you happen to be in 'Toon' as it is called locally.

Pros: range of teas, calm and relaxed

Cons: up 2 flights of stairs, bit pricey

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tea Sutra Teahouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5282 times since Nov 2011.