Tchai-Ovna House of Tea

Contact 0141-357-4524

42 Otago Lane (at Glasgow west end), Glasgow, Scotland, G11 9PB

Teahouse with cozy atmosphere serving teas and a small vegetarian food menu, plus vegan cakes. Has a fire place, comfy couches, and a large selection of teas from around the world. Hosts alternative music events and exhibitions. Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International

First Review by weyhey

Seedy charm - Edit

Slightly hard to find down an uninspiring lane, but delicious smells are evident from some way off. Ramshackle interior; unashamed hippy vibe with Indian wall hangings, seating platforms etc. Sometimes it came across as pretty scuzzy (the toilet didn't seem adequately ventilated). Middle Eastern platter was pretty good although the stuffed vine leaves seemed to have come straight out of a tin. Alternative/experimental music was OK except for one terrible noise (mostly played backwards) that almost drove me away entirely. There was only one vegan dessert (the Uber Slice) and I was very disappointed when I saw how small it was! (It did taste nice.)

Pros: Quite nice food, good if you like hippies

Cons: Run-down air

If You Like Tea.... - Edit

Amazing selection of teas plus nice veggie food in a very relaxed atmosphere. Nice relaxed vibe plus gigs in tiny room. You can sit outside if there's a nice day to be had

Pros: Tea, Food, Chilled

Cons: Food Choice, Finding A Seat, Weather!

Cosy little gem in Glasgow - Edit

I first visited Tchai Ovna 6 years ago when in Glasgow visiting a friend and I'm so glad she took me there. What a great place. Relaxed, unique, cozy, unpretentious atmosphere with a seriously huge selection of tea. I have since been back whenever in Glasgow and always feel right at home being there. I can't vouch for the food, as I've only ever tried the tea, and possibly one of the cakes a few years ago (which was amazing), but the atmosphere and awesome tea alone is worth a visit.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Amazing selection of tea, Veggie food

Cons: A little hard to find - , but not impossible

Best place in the UK! - Edit

I found it hard on my travels to find anything vegan friendly in the uk. But then on my trip to Glasgow this wonderful place showed up. You order yourself at the kitchen, the menu is vegan and nut allergy sensitive. They have an outdoor patio, but the place was so packed we got the last table inside. Highly recommend it! Amazing teas from all over the world properly prepared and delicious menu :)

Pros: worldly teas prepared right, vegan friendly, nut allergy sensitive

WORTH LOCATING - Edit

Funky little tea house that does some cracking food too. Platter of Meze for £11.50 fed 3 of us tho we opted to get an extra portion of pita bread.

Please do a vegan option of dessert apart from the uber bar.

Can also have coffee and a shisha pipe.

Inspired idea and very relaxing.

Updated from previous review on Thursday September 05, 2013

Pros: Relaxed, Cheap Food

Cons: Parking

Amazing selection of tea - Edit

I couldn't believe the number of different teas available on the menu! An absolute must for tea lovers. Unfortunately, even for a light lunch this place was definitely on the pricey side for me, especially considering the menu was quite limited for food. Really liked the relaxed and unusual decor though.

Pros: Nice atmosphere/decor, Clearly marked vegan options, Lots of tea!

Cons: Overpriced

Tea Lovers Paradise - Edit

Very bohemian place specialising in a massive array of teas from the world. They also serve rustic food such as mezze platters and breads and dips. Great place to chill out and enjoy a bite to eat in a very cool part of Glasgow

Pros: tea, cosy

Cons: limited range of food, pricey

All the tea in China is at - Edit

Tchai Ovna! lol Couldn't resist that line! I usually hate going to places with my boyfriend who only discovers these places thanks to his ex girlfriend whom I am not fond of. However, I found it hard not to love Tchai Ovna! If you love somewhere small, cosy and amazing art on the walls that capture inspiration. Once a month they do readings from talented writers and hold amazing small music gigs every week. So Tchai Ovna isn't just a small tea house but a secret den of uniqueness. As they say great things come in little packets.

Pros: Good Value, Friendly Atmosphere, Smoking :D

Cons: Small can get crowded, Waiting, Smoking D:

Gorgeous Cheesecake - Edit

Visited May '07 while in the Glasgow West End. Would have never found this place if we didn't have an address and a map. Nice little tea shop with loads of teas on the menu and a nice veggie range of meals. Brilliant second hand book shop a few doors down. Tea was lovely and the cheesecake was one of the nicest I have ever tasted. The venue was a bit dirty/untidy in a hippy way (faded cushions, mismatched furniture etc ) but by no means unhygienic. We weren't offered a free refill like the menu says but it does also say that if forgotten you should ask for one.

Pros: yummy cheesecake, lots of teas on offer

Cons: hard to find, a bit dark and untidy

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tchai-Ovna House of Tea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3865 times since Aug 2007.