Taste of the Orient

Contact 03-54705465

223 Barker St, Castlemaine, Victoria, 3450

Serves meat, vegan options available. Little Cantonese yum cha place with a dedicated section on the menu for vegetarian items: spring rolls, dim sum, desserts, gluten free, and house made dumpling.

Category: Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by cupcakes6

Dumpling Heaven - Edit

I worked extensively throughout South East Asia for years, so I would consider myself a seasoned Dumpling Man...And the Taste Of The Orient...Serves the best I have ever had...You can taste the flavors, the freshness and there are quite a few choices for Vegans... My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch here and will return again and again...

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Friendly Staff, Fresh Food

The best spring rolls ever - Edit

The food here is beautifully prepared and cooked in sight, so you know it is fresh. Joe is a wonderful chef and Rebecca and the rest of the staff are extremely friendly. Don't forget to tell them you saw them on Happy Cow as it will encourage them to increase the vegetarian options. We are locals and eat there often - or buy from them at the Castlemaine Farmers Market on the first Saturday of the month or at other events where they have their mobile stall. One of our recent visitors said she'd had the best spring rolls she'd ever had - because they are not greasy, well-filled and absolutely delicious. So for a cheap, quick, nutritious and delicious meal - Taste of the Orient stands out in a street of cafes and restaurants.

Pros: simple, nutritious food, delicious!, great staff

Cons: small - but some tables on the pavement

Yummy Yum Cha! - Edit

My husband and I stopped at Taste of the Orient for lunch on our roadtrip through regional Victoria. We had read a review mentioning the vegetarian options and were keen to give them a try. The food was amazing- fresh, tasty, not too greasy, and delicious! The owners were very friendly and said they were planning to expand the vegetarian menu soon.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, outside seating

Cons: a bit small, not open every day

Return to Castlemaine Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Taste of the Orient closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.