Taste of India - temporarily closed

Contact 207-945-6865

68 Main St, Bangor, Maine, USA, 04401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has some vegetarian dishes. Restaurant tends to use soybean oil instead of the traditional ghee. Many items can be modified to omit cream, upon request. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm. Temporarily closed undergoing renovations. Plan to open end of Feb 2017 with new menu.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by smilinghippie

Used to love....:-( - Edit

We used to love this place for vegan/vegetarian options.
Last two times (in late 2014) that we visited we were a)ignored by wait staff from the moment we arrived until we left & b)the place was filthy (table, chairs, plates, cups, etc.) not just one thing, virtually everything.
I don't know what's going on here, but it is not good.
So, once, we could excuse, but twice it means this is their modus operandi (plus the dirtiness totally grossed us out and made us wonder about the kitchen...) Too bad because Bangor's veg options are few & far between.

Pros: Veg options

Cons: Dirty, Waitstaff ignores patrons

Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

We ordered the channa masala, mutter mushrooms, and samosas. All of these dishes were fantastic. We will be talking about them for a long time.

The menu has a list of ingredients used in each dish, so I felt pretty safe ordering these items. However, I would have liked it if the menu had said something like "contains dairy" next to non-vegan items, just to be 100% sure.

I was extremely pleased and will definitely be ordering from them again.

clear menu, good food - Edit

their whole menu has all the ingredients listed by each dish, making it easy to pick vegan fare. the cooking is great.

Pros: great food, ingredients listed by every dish, have a buffet

Cons: only a few vegan options (can get boring, limited vegan on buffet, have to watch out for dairy

Yummy Yummy - Edit

Their food is incredibly delicious. However, I ate there the most when I still ate milk and egg products.

The only downside, I think, is that it is really hard to tell just from looking at the menu if an item is vegan or not. I kind of just hoped the dish I got was.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Lots of Options, Fun Atmosphere

Cons: Not easily recognizable as vegan, pricey, smaller portions

This is a find in Bangor Maine - Edit

This is a great Indian restaurant to find in Bangor Maine of all places! The mala kofta is a great vegetarian dish! The tea is sublime! We live in NYC and own Sewall House in Island Falls, north of Bangor, so to find something we like to eat in meat oriented northern Maine ( and as yogis) that is authentic is such a treat!

Pros: comfortable, good service, fair pricing and fresh

Sometimes Okay - Edit

This has always been one of my favorite local places to eat, but in the last several months the quality of service has diminished to quite an extent. The menu remains generally quite decent and has changed little.

My Favorite Joint in Bangor,ME - Edit

I have been going to A Taste of India since I was in high school. (17 years now!) They have excellent service and a fine selection on Vegan and Vegetarian dishes. They can accomadate just about any request and seem happy to do so. They have a large selection of beers and wine. Also, they have a lunch buffet that is very affordable and conveniant if you are in a hurry.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff , Good Value

Cons: Small Dining area

Return to Bangor Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Taste of India - temporarily closed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.