Taste Good

Contact 01313135588

65-71 Slateford Rd, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH11 1PR

Serves meat, vegan options available. Stylish basement restaurant and busy ground floor takeaway offering Chinese food. Has a vegetarian section on the menu, of which several are vegan or can be made vegan by request. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 4:30pm-12:00am.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Minuvweyna

Good Chinese restaurant & takeaway - Edit

One of Edinburgh's most popular Chinese takeaways, they also run a restaurant on the lower level, which is very stylish. The takeaway is always bustling, and have tons of options for omnivores to choose from. They also have a vegetarian section of their menu. I spoke with one of the ladies at the takeaway order desk (I dropped in as I live in the area) and she very helpfully discussed the vegetarian options that are vegan friendly, and explained that several others could be made vegan.

Vegan options - Bean Curd w/ Mixed Veg, Broccoli w/ Chinese Mushrooms, Hot Spicy Bean Curd, Mixed Veg w/ Black Bean Sauce, Sweet and Sour Bean Curd, Sweet and Sour Mixed Veg, Vegetarian Singapore Noodle.

Mixed Veg Fried Rice can be made vegan by requesting no egg, and Mixed Veg Chow Mein can be made vegan by requesting rice noodles instead of egg noodles.

There are more vegetarian options throughout their menu, that would also be worth asking about - particularly in their Hors D'Oeuvres section, Green Vegetables section, Rice Dishes section and Extra Side Dishes section.

Their dessert section is all labelled vegetarian, and some may be vegan or might be able to be made vegan - I didn't ask as I wasn't after dessert when I ordered.

The lady I spoke to understand what a vegan diet meant and was very helpful and friendly. I will definitely order again, as the food is very nice (my omni husband agrees re: omni faire) and I would feel confident asking about other dishes in future.

I ordered the Hot Spicy Bean Curd and Vegetarian Singapore Noodles, which were both very tasty. The portions were plentiful, so I got 2 meals out of that (it reheated well too).

I don't know if the menu is the same for the downstairs restaurant, but I'm sure they'd be every bit as helpful.

Pros: Helpful and knowledgable staff, Happy to make substitutions, Tasty food

Cons: Mostly meat dishes

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Taste Good closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.