Taste from Heaven

34/1 Ratmakka Rd (at Moonmuang Rd), Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200

Vegetarian food restaurant also offering cooking class. Re-opened Apr 2014 at this location inside the moat, down from Elephant Nature Park, next to the Lost bookshop. Open Mon-Tue 9:00am-10:00pm, Wed 9:00am-9:00pm, Thu-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by david

Vegan options - Edit

Good restaurants , vegan options . Always crowded so you have to wait for a table. Good quality of food .

Love is in the food - Edit

Good. Wonderful. An homage to all the wonderful ingrediens in thai cooking. Oh yes!

Deserves its name - Edit

When I told someone I'll go to Chiang Mai, everybody told me to go here. And they were right. It's a fully vegan restaurant which deserves its name! Make sure you can enjoy the vegan brownie after your dish! I also bought their amazing homemade currypaste.

Pros: fully vegan, desserts are amazing, homemade currypaste

VeganBrett 17 Apr 2017 - Hi Vanessa, I think you perhaps meant to write this review for Vegan Heaven as Taste From Heaven is in fact not fully Vegan but is a Vegetarian Restaurant with an extensive offering of Vegan Dishes. Many thanks for your kind words anyway ;-)
Brett (VH & TFH Co-Owner)

Tasty food - Edit

Really liked the food. Also the Thai Icetea and vegan coconut icecream tasted delicious.

cook or eat? - Edit

We ate here a quite a number of times, it is excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The menu is vast and for a vegan such choice is unusual. The food never lets you down and offers great value for money. We loved it so much we did the cooking course. If you have a spare 2 hours a must, What I learnt about cooking Thai food in 2 hours, from 5 dishes I choose was incredible. The chef was great and one on one tuition, so you can ask the stupid questions, Don't be put off by the kitchen as we have done other courses in decent kitchens, but the quality of tuition and the food you make is worth it, plus you can the rewards in the restaurant after. If in Chiang Mai, do go anytime of day for the food, if you have time the cooking course is a must.

Pros: variety of menu, quality, value for money

Wave the Vegan Flag - Edit

I had a green juice (70b) and sah koi (?) noodles (95b). Tasty, healthy juice. The noodles were FANTASTIC. Would go back again. Falang prices and all falang inside when I went. This is a foreigner joint. Love that they sell vegan Ts and champion the cause. Gets very full at lunch time. Wifi works well. They also run vegan Thai cooking classes.

Pros: Delicious, Fast, efficient service, Team Vegan Atmosphere

Cons: Busy, Pricey (for Thailand)

Love this place - Edit

I love this restaurant and will definitely go back next time I am in Chiang Mai. The staff are super helpful and the food is delicious.

My daughter and I took a cookery lesson there and then joined my husband in the restaurant afterwards to eat the food we had prepared. We also visited several times just as regular customers.

A special thank you to Nan (the owner) who was incredibly helpful and accommodating.

Pros: Tasty food, Helpful staff

Great veggie breakfast - Edit

This is a favorite in Chiang Mai for a farang style veggie breakfast. With lovely veggie bacon, nice hash browns, tempeh, and veggie ham slices, with mushrooms, tomatoes and baked beans options. With set options or you can build your own.

Sometimes in Thailand the veggie breakfasts are just eggs and toast so this is a nice alternative done well.

Drinks are good!

Pros: excellent european style veggie break fast, veggie bacon

Amazing - Edit

Me and my boyfriend ate here twice while we were in Chiang Mai and it was delicious both times. staff were friendly and it's in a good location

Pros: So much vegan choice, western and Thai

Cons: little oily sometimes and one small loo

still the best!! - Edit

Just saw a few negative reviews so wanted to put mine in. We are here roughly 7-8 times in a week. Someone mentioned the pad Thai was bland, can't comment on that because you can order a vegan pad Thai anywhere in Thailand so at this spot it's really worth getting into the curries as that's where the flavour really comes out.

Tom yum in a coconut is hands down the most flavourful dish ever, ever. #1!!

Tom Ka was good as well but second to Tom yum.

The fried rice with Tom yum paste was great. We ordered the fruit curry (surprisingly awesome) and ate it with the rice for even more flavour. Was great!

Pineapple fried rice in a pineapple was amazing too. Highly recommend.

For shakes you can get them made with coconut milk which was really nice. Would recommend banana or strawberry made with coconut milk.

For apps the money bags are good, a little bland but come with dipping sauce. Great presentation. The battered mushroom dish was incredible.

Also tried the new hummus wrap and it was fresh and way bigger than the picture makes it out to be. Nice break from Thai food.

It's an absolute must to try to the warm chocolate brownie with coconut or chocolate ice cream. Even if you're full this will proper you to heaven.

It's all about what you order here. Any of the above are consistently the best in Thailand. In fact our trip back to chiang mai was based around this restaurant.

They also have a few vegan t shirts that they sell now as well.

Out of the two restaurants (vegan heaven and this) I still recommend taste from heaven.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Would not recommend this place at all! - Edit

I'm a vegan and when I ordered my pumpkin soup, I asked twice if it was vegan and was told yes. I'm absolutely sure there was cow butter or ghee in there. It totally smelt like cow butter. The owner herself admitted that they use cow butter, so how do you know if they used it in your dish?

Our meal took a long time to arrive. Tomatoes in the salad were completely unripe, almost green and tasteless. Presentation was poor. Asked for a not spicy option and it ended up the spiciest dish I've ever tried! Then they made it differently and this time is was totally sour and loaded with soy.

If you don't mind discovering animal products in your "vegan" dishes and if you're ok with dirty and smelly toilet (which makes us question the kitchen standards all together), this place may be for you.

Several of our friends fell sick after visiting this place and none of them go back there now.

If you want a clean, vegan place, I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.

We will not be coming back or recommending this place to others at all. The positive reviews are completely deceiving, read the negative ones to get a better picture before heading to this place.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-14

Cons: Dirty, smelly toilet , Cow butter used, Meals take a long time to arrive and taste poor

VeganBrett 17 Apr 2017 - Hi there, the menu is Vegetarian with a lot of Vegan dishes. Many of the Vegetarian dishes can be made Vegan if asked. Beside each item on the Menu is either a "V" for Vegan or "O" for the option to make it Vegan if you request it that way. Did you inform the waitress that you wished to make the pumpkin soup Vegan when you ordered it? Also in regards to the toilet, it is cleaned many times throughout the day but unfortunately we cannot clean after every time someone uses it. Sorry for your negative experience.

Hit or miss - Edit

We have been to this restaurant twice. The first time it was very good and we were positively surprised. The green curry in coconut was very good. After traveling 3 weeks in Thailand we agreed that it was one of the best we had.

The second time was very bad. Food was oily and very heavy on the stomach. The dishes were wrongly spiced and had very unbalanced ingredients (?) . We left some food because it was not good. Me and my girlfriend felt sick afterwards. It was our last meal of the holiday, ?

But, everyone makes mistakes!

Pros: Personnel very kind

Cons: Not consistent

Far From Heaven - Edit

After all the amazing reviews for this place, I and my partner were super excited to eat here. I'm sad to say I was disappointed.

We ordered Mushroom Satay as an appetizer and Pad Thai and Khao Soy as entrees. Every dish left me disappointed. The Pad Thai in particular is the worst I've ever had anywhere-- I'm a big fan of Pad Thai and have ordered it at dozens of restaurants before-- it was dry and lacking typical flavors for this kind of dish. The Mushroom Satay and the Khao Soy were both off-- it felt like the right ingredients were there but off in the amounts used.

The place was very busy, the reviews online are phenomenal so I'm left a bit confused, but these three dishes are three of the biggest disappointments I've ever had at any restaurant anywhere. I will definitely not return considering all of the amazing vegan restaurants in Chiang Mai!

Will Go Back Every Time!!! - Edit

Loved it here, such a good vibe and amazing food - definitely our favourite place to eat during our trip.
The Panang Curry was especially nice.

Can't wait to go back!!! :)

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-31

Pros: Great food, Lovely staff, Great location

Popular restaurant - Edit

The place is almost always full and we came here many times on our first days in Chiang Mai. Our non-vegan parents liked too because they have so many options. I think the thai food (curries and stir fries) were much better than some of the western foods we tried. The staff is super friendly and the place is cosy but bit too noisy. Service is very fast. The famous brownie (with vanilla ice cream of course) was a small disappointment but still good. Maybe it just was too much chocolate for me because I know most people love it. Definitely one of my favorites in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Delicious thaifood, Many options, Friendly and fast service

Cons: Western foods not that good, Usually very full and noisy

Taste from Heaven INDEED - Edit

We were delighted with the staff, the owner, Nan, and of course the quality of the food. From the veggie burger with sweet potato fries to the wonderful traditional salads like green papaya or banana flower everything was delicious. It was also nice to find a veg restaurant that also offers wine and beer. Pricing is competitive. The vegan smoothies, ice-cream and brownies are a treat as well. They are also opening all vegan restaurant soon!

Pros: Excellant food, Very friendly staff, competitive pricing

My favourite place in Chiang Mai - Edit

Fantastic food and great service! My favourite place in Chiang Mai :) Thank you for all deliciousness I managed to taste during my two visits. I hope to visit you again some day!

Really tasty food - Edit

Loved eating here. Loads of options - we went for veggie burgers after too much Thai food and really enjoyed them. Mushroom satay for starter was delicious and you HAVE to try the vegan brownie, it really was a Taste from Heaven!

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Taste from Heaven closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.