CLOSED: Tao

• Veg-friendly

Contact 619-281-6888

3332 Adams, San Diego, California, USA, 92116

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu includes a section of vegan dishes. Has fresh made tofu and soy milk. Uses separate cookware for the vegan items. Reportedly closed and will re-open under a different name.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Elizabeth

Tao is amazing! - Edit

Tao opened on Adams Avenue, in Normal Heights just as they were closing their more casual food location: Dao Son (on El Cajon Blvd & Texas). Tao has never disappointed on the 6 times I've eaten there in the last 6 months. As many others mentioned, they serve complementary salad with fresh home-made tofu on top (as well as complementary ice cream at the end of the meal). They often participate in restaurants.com coupon offers (Pay $15 to get $40 worth of food). They have an entire page of just vegetarian dishes (all asian based). They also allow you to write on the walls, which is fun. The food quality is amazing and SPICY! A "5" is very spicy and will make you sweat. Try a 3 or a 4 at first. anything higher than a 5 will make you sweat. The plating / presentation is very beautiful. They serve the dishes on large saucer plates and the design is impeccable. Low light, very romantic place for a date. There is no 'waiting area' so yes, if you arrive during prime time, put your name on the list and your number, and they will call you when there is a table ready. I suggest you go across the street to the coffee shop to wait (Lestats). All in all, Tao is amazing, and I look forward to many years of going here with friends.

Pros: spicy, romantic, delicious

Cons: small space, popular (wait time)

This place is amazing! - Edit

It turns out that Tao is about 2 blocks from my Aunt's house. We went here for dinner last Wednesday night and we were blown away. The vegetarian section of the menu is pretty extensive, and all veg items are cooked in a separate part of the kitchen. Vegan items are currently not differentiated from vegetarian items on the menu, but the staff is knowledgable and what is what. (The spring rolls aren't vegan due to egg in the wrapper.)

All meals come with a complimentary salad and dessert which was a nice surprise. (They offered me fruit instead of ice cream.) Tao makes their own tofu daily. The texture is silky and the taste rich.

I loved the crispy texture of the tofu in the rice paper covered rolls that we got (Summer Rolls?) as our appetizer. When our main plates came out the presentation was breathtaking. My dish consisted of the homemade tofu, asparagus, a delicious mushroom of a variety I rarely have the opportunity to eat, a few other veggies and some kind of an iris. (I wish that Tao had their menu online so I could copy down the exact description for you.) My Aunt ordered a string green bean and eggplant dish. Her green beans seemed to be lacking in flavor, but the eggplant was perfect. In the center of both of our plates was the wild rice blend that we requested with a sprig of rosemary sticking out of the top (or "a little tree" as my Aunt kept saying) as garnish.

Prices are reasonable, portions are generous (we took home leftovers of everything), the plating was beautiful, and it was an overall great experience. The restaurant is dimly light, so this would be a great place to take a date.

I would rate this restaurant 5 cows if I could. It really stands out in how veg-friendly it is for a non-veg place.

If you look up Tao on Yelp you will see lots of raving reviews. Definetly check Tao out on your next trip to San Diego or if you live in San Diego go tonight for dinner.

Pros: reasonably priced, housemade tofu, large veg selection

Cons: not in SF

GREAT! - Edit

This place is pretty damn good! Ive been twice so far, first had the Garlic Chicken(veg of course), next I had the Mango Chicken(not sure the actual title)..Both were amazing and I recommend both! Prices are a little higher than I like to spend(roughly $10-15/plate) but entree's also come with appetizer salad and ice cream for free! Smaller place, I recommend coming earlier than planned dinner, especially on weekends

Pros: delicious, friendly, complimentary appetizer and dessert

Cons: small, sometimes a wait, parking not always easy

YUMMY! - Edit

We went there a couple of weeks ago. The prices are a just a little pricey-9.00-10.00 a plate. The food was delish and very filling. This place is very friendly and good for a romantic dinner. You do have to ask what is vegan on the menu-the wait staff are very helpful. They make their own tofu and it is to die for! I had the orange chicken-very very good. I really hope this place does well, Normal Heights needs a nice veg place to eat. You can even write on the walls-really neat idea.

Pros: Friendly, quaint

Cons: little pricey, can have a wait list

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tao closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 209 times since Jan 2010.