REMOVED: TAO

• Vegan

Contact 020-82018001

22 Golders Green Road, London, UK, North West London, England, NW11 8LL

North London vegan restaurant featuring Chinese buffet spread at lunch and evening. Formerly Thai Veg and also previously named CTV. Reportedly no longer veg.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Buffet, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Jemima

Decline in range - Edit

We have visited TAO for a number of years.

Unfortunately it has got worse, I say this with a heavy heart since I really enjoyed visiting.

When I first visited there was a very large range of vegetarian dishes and some of the soy really appeared like meat. We had to ask if it was really.

We just 2 days ago and we were confronted by the sign that they now serve meat dishes. Although there is a little segregation the fact it is buffet only means people tend to hover meat ladden dishes over the vegetarian selection!

The vegetarian section is very limited now, there was no fried sea weed and the tofu range has dropped to 6 hot dishes with rice and noodles adjacent to the meet section.

There was a range of diced vegetables but some looked limp.
I went for some chicken style tofu initially. It was chewy but at least warm. towards the end of my meal they topped up the dish from a microwave. I though ahh some fresh tofu. Alas it was cold and chewy!

Although the buffet is only £7.90, drinks £1.50 it can be considered very cheap. However the decline in quality does not make this a special night.

Pros: cheap, free parking after 6.30

Cons: no fresh dishes anymore, greasy + salty, lack of range of food

Is it Thai, Chinese or ? - Edit

On main high street of GG, not far from the station.
Chingesque dark wood furniture, soft lighting, radio station playing. Present: pairs, small groups, singles.
Buffet contains heaping array of entrees eg mini spring rolls, raw and cooked vegetables, salads, mock meats, rice and noodles. Various sauces also. Seems some sort of variation on a Chinese type of food. The same dishes of food sat there from lunch to dinner the time I visited however avoided Thai/Chinese or any other revenge, so kosher so to say. Was room temperature by that time. Food was fair.
Service was unobtrusive.
Value was fair. The more you eat the better the value gets, to eat your fill you would probably eat about the same amount as in a regular restaurant though.

Pros: Convenient location near to station, Lots of raw vegetables, Unobtrusive staff

Cons: Expected Thai food, Some food needs to be hot

Return to North West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: TAO closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 485 times since Aug 2007.