Contact 218850046

Rua dos Douradores, 10, Lisbon, Portugal, 1100 Lisboa

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarian except for fish on Wednesday. Tão Restaurante Natura is a large restaurant with plenty of seating. Offers set meals. Dishes might include vegetable sushi, risotto, grilled aubergine, and salad. Has sugar-free dessert. A small store area. Open hours vary and sometimes changes without notice - call ahead.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out, Portuguese, Non-veg

First Review by CBraunmuller

Healthy and cheap vegan food - Edit

This place was mostly incredibly cheap. For €4,00 you get a huge portion of three varieties of the foods they offer. I also liked that the food was healthy. So if you have a low budget you can get some healthy vegan or vegetarian food without spending much. The staff was quite friendly and happy to explain what the vegan options were. The food was nothing special, however. I would personally not come back here, but it can definitely be a great place to get something to eat for travelers on a low budget.

Pros: Healthy, Cheap

Cons: Vegan options not labeled, Food is nothing special

One of the places I'm used to have lunch, but... - Edit

I'm already a known costumer in here. There's a variety of cheap food options to choose from, though not all of them are vegan or even vegetarian. I recommend the grilled seitan and the mashed beans purée, they are my favourite!

Although, they don't seem to understand the concept of "vegan" (or they simply want to trick us). I asked them if a certain cake didn't have milk or eggs, they said yes. I mentioned that the biscuits they were using may have milk on the ingredients and needed to know if those were absolutely vegan. They said they were. Alright then, I had the cake, but as I was finishing eating it I noticed the biscuits used were from a brand that indeed had milk.
A few hours after eating it my lactose intolerant symptoms started to show. The next day I told them about it. Sorry not sorry folks, you can deceive me but you cannot deceive my intestines. ;)

Pros: Cheap, Tasty vegan options

Cons: Need to be educated on what vegan means, They may lie about dessert ingredients

Another deception - Edit

Another Vegetarian restaurant that serves fish-based dishes.
Also, the staff don't care if you're Vegan and will tell everything is Vegan, even tuna based dishes!!

Pros: Central

Cons: Vegan Unfriendly, Rude staff, Serves fish

Healthy Options for Vegetarians - Edit

Good selection for Vegetarians and vegans. Rice / Couscous + 3/4/5 dishes for 4/5/6.5 Euros. Recommended.

The timings were a bit unpredictable at times. A bit difficult to find if you don't have a map/goggle.

Good food, great value! - Edit

Good, honest, simple but delicious macrobiotic food.
The price is very good, not the usual tourist prices of Lisbon. You can have a very satifying and healthy meal for under €6 including juice, salad and mains. Don't expect vegan gourmet here but rather sustaining homemade food.
The ground floor is very small and can get very busy, but they have ample rooms with low japanese tables upstairs and I recommend eating there.

Amazing value for money - Edit

We went on a Thursday for lunch and the buffet was about 90% vegan, except for two vegetarian dishes. I was hesitant to take my omni friends there but they absolutely loved it! For 4 euros you get 3 choices, a small salad plate and free water. Ask the chef what's not vegan and he'll tell you.
TIP: Go to the upstairs seating!!! They have those low tables with pillows and it's very charming :)

Cheap and filling canteen food - Edit

We visited here in late October 2014 a couple of times. They serve canteen-style food, where you select a number of items for a fixed price.

The food was good, portions were generous, and very filling. When we went, they offered some seitan dish, some lentil dish, and salads. Desserts were limited but also good.

The place lacks charm, being more of a functional seating are in set-up than a cosy retreat. There isn't loads of room, but there was always space for us to sit and enjoy our food without the feeling that we were rushed.

Water is available from a cooler.

It's located close to Praça do Comércio.

Recommended. Would visit again if in the area.

Pros: Nutrituous, Filling, Cheap

Cons: Lacks ambience

Good Food For The Price - Edit

The restaurant is near baixa and they offer a really cheap lunch menue (buffet style)with big portions. You choose of different options,i had the menue for 4!euros(3 to choose and a free salad )and it was huge!the food was pretty good.the people where friendly.the location wasnt very nice.

Pros: Price, Food, People

Cons: Location

Good food, nice price - Edit

I was there for dinner 5-6 months ago. It was small (and very simple) but except of me there was just another couple so there was plenty of space for everyone. I walked by during lunch time though and it was packed... but there's a second floor... I followed the waiter's suggestions (I took a Dal soup which was excellent and some vegetable mix w/ potatoes). Everything was simple but delicious and fresh. I would definitely go back.

Edit: I went back, it was always closed for dinner, maybe it's just open for lunch... it is a buffet-style restaurant, you can chose different dishes and menus. Water and tea are for free. I paid 5€ for a huge plate with 4 different dishes.

Updated from previous review on Thursday March 20, 2014

Pros: Fresh delicious food, Nice price

Cons: Communication wasn't easy, The decoration might be improved

Take it or Leave it - Edit

A functional canteen style diner serving tasty food at superb prices in low key surroundings. The great location in the heart of downtown Lisbon makes up for it. Focus is on seitan, tofu and pulses served in a sort of oriental style. Wasn't sure what to think of it when I saw it for the first time, don't be nervous - just go in, order and enjoy. There are many veggie places in Lisbon now and this one is an important part of the family.

Pros: very cheap, location, friendly

Cons: basic

Cheap And Good Food - Edit

The place is small, but the food is very cheap. With 5 euros you can eat a lot. Water and tea for free. The seitan was delicious. The salads could be better.

Pros: Price, Seitan, Taste

Cons: Salads, Space, Confort

Cheap vegan restaurant - Edit

I visited the the once in July and the place was full of people but they have a second floor which is spacious enough for a crowd. The food was simple but tasty, price to quality factor rocks. I paid 6 EUR for 4 small portion of different dishes and a delicious dessert. I will visit this place again soon and I recommend it to everyone!

Pros: Price, Vegan food, Delicious dessert

Cons: The food could be warmer, The free salads could be tastier

first review - dedicated to Tao - Edit

The last review, "nice suprise", is very close to that, what i want to say. Tao was the last place by the way through veg restaurant, which were all closed because of lunch break. Tao was too, but because of the prices, i decided to wait.
No stories anymore, but facts. Meal costed us 6,50 + 1,00 beer, so for two person it was 15e. It was a buffet plate with five dishes to choose (we were just after opening, so there was not to many, but later they made more; however you can also take smaller and cheaper plate). Everything was vegan and actually everything was great. We had very good seitan and perfect pumpkin mousse, nice tofu and well prepared lentiles. Tempura was also the right choose. One portion was totally enough.
I don't think that staff is not nice, they are just quite shy and asian-way calm, except one guy who speaks english and wich is very nice. Ok, it could look better inside, but if you know portugese pastelerias - it's pretty fitted into the city. I've spent very nice time there though and i'll come back there for sure.

Pros: price, quality of food, vegan

Cons: for me - none

Nice surprise - Edit

I hadn't paid much attention to this place because the other reviews weren't very positive, but I found it a nice surprise. The menu seems to be entirely vegan, down to the tofu 'mayonnaise' (which was delicious and garlicky). It was slightly confusing, as it appeared to be a buffet, but we could only order a la carte, but that was fine with me. The fresh juices - carrot and apple - were delicious. I really enjoyed the fried tempeh I had. The accompanying rice and veg were nicely seasoned and very wholesome. This place isn't glamorous, but it was filling, and quite good value for money. For two meals, including juice, bread, mains and desserts, it was just €25. They offer a menu in English, so it's hard to go wrong.

Pros: All vegan, Very fresh ingredients, Good portion size

Cons: Lacking ambience, Limited menu

Strange vibe - Edit

I found this place a bit strange, it was my second visit as the first time it looked like it was closing so we went elsewhere.

At first glance it looked like it was buffet style but the waitress quickly directed us to a seat with a menu. I opted for a grilled tofu dish - which was exactly that, just grilled tofu with no seasoning or much taste. I was just average to be honest and the only positive was that it was edible because i knew it was vegetarian.

Cons: Looks closed , weird food

Careful - Edit

This is a nice place if you're a foreigner who doesn't understand the local language, otherwise, you might be uncomfortable with the daily conversations the owners have there, out loud, after 2pm, speaking of how women's place is in the kitchen, serving men, and that this world is torn and society is going in the wrong direction, and we're all doing wrong things,etc. I went there a few times but couldn't stand the negative atmosphere - doesn't allow one to enjoy the meal.

Pros: variety of options, small prices, good location

Cons: unfriendly staff/owner, noisy, dark atmosphere

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tao closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5843 times since Jun 2010.