Tandoori Night

Contact 559-438-7200

6751 N Blackstone Ave, Fresno, California, USA, 93710

Serves meat, vegan options available. Northern Indian cuisine. Will prepare a vegetable entree with vegetable oil instead of butter/ghee upon request. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by catbone

Great Food Served With Great Service! - Edit

My waiter gave me the confidence to try multiple new dishes. So I tried the Vegetable Pakora appetizer. I chose to try the Mushroom Bhoona and ordered my favorite Saag, as the entrees.
I love my Saag plain. I've been in restaurants that insist my Saag contain at least one of the usual ingredients: Paneer, Aloo and sometimes Chana, which I then painstakingly pick out of my Saag.
One of my Raw Food cooking teachers, originally from India, owned an Organic Restaurant. She told me the reason they required me to taint my Saag. Now when that happens, I get up and leave the restaurant never to return. But at this restaurant, my waiter had no problem accomodating my request on the spot.
The Vegetable Pakora arrived first. I really liked it. But, it was the Tamarind Sauce and Green Chili Chutney that really made the Pakora outstanding. By the time my husband who was on a call came in to eat his Pakora, it was cold (he hates cold food).
But, my husband liked this "cold" Pakora so much, he kept trying to ask me about it while avidly "chowing it down". He usually eats his food and then asks maybe one question afterwards. However after he finished the Pakora, he immediately announced he wanted to order the Pakora again on our next visit.
The Mushroom Bhoona and the Saag came out together. Both my husband and I were very impressed with these exotic flavors. By the time the rice arrived that was included with the Bhoona, we had eaten most of the Bhoona and Saag.
My husband is a "rice" fan, so he can just sit and eat rice by itself, if need be. I don't usually eat White Basmati Rice. Wild rice, brown or black rice maybe. But when they brought this Basmati out, I had to try it. It had interesting flecks of spices in it. After one bite, I sat and ate half of the platter with the rest of my Saag.
I mentioned to my waiter how much I liked the Basmati. He explained all of the preparations that go into making that particular rice dish. It was quite impressive. And, he seemed very pleased to hear I liked it so much. I hope he shared my compliment of it with the kitchen.
I liked the way our waiter kept a watchful eye on our dining needs whenever he passed by our table. I noticed he didn't want to interrupt our dinner conversation. But I knew if I glanced his way, he would have come right over to our table if we needed anything. That to me is the sign of a highly sophisticated waitstaff. A trait I rarely see in restaurant waitstaff anymore.
At the end of our meal, our waiter offered us a complimentary sample of the Gulab Jamun dessert. After he described what it was, I know I wouldn't have ordered it on my own. But, we tried it nonetheless.
My husband just grinned at me as I tasted this overly sweet dessert. He had been watching my expression as I tasted it and offered me the other half of his sample. It came as no surprise to him when I told him I was going to order that Gulab Jamun dessert the next time we came. I asked him how he had known I liked it. Apparently, it was the twinkle in my eyes as I took my first bite that gave it way.
So, by now it is obvious we have already planned our return visit to this restaurant on our next trip to Fresno. Not only is the food quite lovely, but our waiter made an impression on me that I will not forget.
That's why it's easy to forgive the little girl who wandered into my booth when I was first seated and my husband was on a call outside. She was chewing on an unusually large cracker that was in her hand. And for some strange reason, she jumped in and sat across from me in the booth for several minutes. She seemed completely oblivious to the difference between a customer and extended family. It was so odd, it was almost cute. But, that tells me immediately this immaculate crew is family-owned.
But what is really etched in my mind, in the final moments of this dining experience, was the frantic attempt of the owner. Our waiter was not far behind the owner who ran out to our car with my cell phone charger base in his hand. It had fallen out of my purse in our booth. I am so grateful to this gracious owner and my waiter for returning it to me before we drove off. I would never have been able to complete my work projects, emails and text messages without my cell charger base.
The sophisticated waitstaff skills of our waiter, combined with my Saag accommodation and the desperate attempt of the owner in returning my cell charger base shows me it's not by accident this restaurant serves such fine quality meals. This is the first time my husband and I were planning our next visit back to a restaurant at the APPETIZER course! So, for a high-quality North Indian Restaurant with excellent food and outstanding service, I highly recommend you make your first stop at Tandoori Night!

Return to Fresno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tandoori Night closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.