Tally's Silver Spoon

Contact 605-342-7621

530 6th St (at St Joseph St ), Rapid City, South Dakota, USA, 57701

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant uses local produce whenever possible. Vegan dishes can be created upon request. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by MeredithLee

Vegan Hostile - Edit

I came here because I found the listing on Happy Cow and the single review said that while it wasn't animal rights veg friendly, they were veg friendly.

WRONG. There is nothing on menu that is vegan. They will veganize anything by taking out animal products and gladly charge you full price for the high-cost animal items missing from your end product. I asked whether they had anything vegan they could make easily and was advised that for $18 the chef would create something entirely unique and it would come with a salad. Hello, this is supposed to be $$, not $$$+. I said, no thank you, and asked whether they could simply sautee mushrooms and onions and serve it on a bun burger style with fries. Yes, that's no problem. I was traveling with 6 meatheads and they had great sandwiches including reuben, french dip, philly cheese steak, buffalo burger and chicken breast. The other person had spicy vegetable pasta. Prices on their entrees ranged from $9-$14. The place was s-l-o-w and we were in a rush to get to out so I scribbled my signature on the bill, thinking, dang that was high, and we left. On the way to the car I took the receipt back out.

My stinky tiny dinner of a very narrow piece of hard-as-rock sourdough bread that was probably egg-washed anyway with a handful of sauteed button mushrooms and onions served with sweet potato fries was $18. I was charged the cost of the "original vegan creation" and given no salad and no freaking creation happened at all. I told them what I wanted and it came. FOR TWICE THE PRICE OF THE MEAT ENTREES! Server was kind and sweet, atmosphere was okay (needs noise dampening inside). Meatheads loved their stuff (I'm told the veg pasta was waaaaaay too spicy from my very spicy-tongued kid). As far as vegan-friendly, zero stars. I felt so violated I had to come to the business center of our hotel to get this off my chest.

Pros: Great, reasonably priced MEAT sandwiches, Atmosphere cool, if noisy, Servers

Cons: NOT a vegan friendly place at all, NO on-menu vegan options, Very few vegetarian options

Great food, but a lot of non-veg food - Edit

I'm not an ethical vegetarian, I just don't like meat. I just wanted to warn people that even though Tally's is wonderful and has great food and is very accommodating to vegetarians, they offer a lot of foie gras and veal and other things that vegetarians/animal lovers have a hard time with. I do recommend this place, but I think it is only fair to warn since this is on the Happy Cow site and if you are here looking, you probably want to know what to expect.

Pros: accomodating to veggies, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, delicious, fresh ingredients

Cons: foie gras, veal, almost every menu item contains pork

Return to Rapid City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tally's Silver Spoon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2395 times since Sep 2011.