Tallore Soups

Contact +852-23278630

Shop D, 7-17 Amoy St, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Soup bar offering a daily selection of 4 or 5 soups made without cream or MSG free. Also offers salads, pasta, and sandwiches. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Western, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Clamb

tallore soups - Edit

swung by there for lunch today, after an unfulfilled first visit a few weekends ago, when the bar table, which seats three, was full.

at around 2.15 pm, there were two staff members in the store, but only one was serving; the other seemed busy with paperwork. it was quite a wait as there were two ladies before me with takeaway orders. it's no fault of the staff serving, of course, who was extremely friendly, but i do hope more staff are usually deployed during lunch hour.

i opted for a soup+salad set, which cost hkd83. from memory, there were two, if not three, vegetarian soups. there was a choice of ten salads, of which seven were marked vegetarian. out of the veggie options, one was labelled "pesto and gorgonzola pasta salad" and another, "artichoke, spinach and mushroom salad", was sprinkled with some kind of powder. i assumed it was cheese, but didn't ask. you get to choose three salads to pack into the box.

the pea+carrot soup was rich, thick and delicious.

my experience with the salads was mixed though. the first (rocket/kale/corn with lemon dressing) was zingy and refreshing, although the corn hinted suspiciously of boxed sweet corn (again, i didn't ask and could well be mistaken).

my other two choices (thai broccoli quinoa salad and thyme oven-roasted vegetable salad) were disappointingly blah. while the veggies were fresh and al dente, the thai salad was especially dry and bland, so much so that it felt as if no dressing had been added - a case of uneven tossing perhaps? i had to mix the quinoa/broccoli with the lemon dressing of the first salad in order for it to be a bit more palatable.

i was the only dine-in customer at that time and still found it very noisy - what with blaring irish music coupled with a whirring blender a few feet away!

if you'd like another option for salads, a few stores away is passion cafe at the corner of amoy street and johnston road. it's a meatery but has a range of tasty vegetarian salads. and if you'd like a 100% vegetarian soup+salad bar, fresca in central's the place to go.

Pros: rich, delicious soup, friendly staff

Cons: some salads can be improved, disposable cutlery even for dine-in, noisy

Tallore Artisan Soups, Hong Kong - Edit

I intend to follow up on this to see how this place is. I will re-draft the review accordingly.

Updated from previous review on Monday March 09, 2015

I agree with much of what has been said before by other reviewers.

1stly I asked what was vegan. I don't think they get asked that too often as the gentleman serving me was unsure of what that meant and also of which dishes were compliant. Very sensibly he called on the input of the chef to guide us.

There's 6 dishes in big serving pots. 1 is chilli con carne and another is chicken soup. The 4 remaining soups I was told were vegetarian including 3 that are vegan (one of the soups contained cheddar).

I was then directed to the other part of the counter. There's a mix of salads (e.g. pasta, quinoa, mixed veg) and sandwiches. Some were meat based, some contained cheese (feta by the look of things) and a couple we vegan.

I thus plumped for a soup and salad combo deal. The pumpkin soup tasted just as you would expect pumpkin soup to taste. The quinoa salad was running a low so I was offered a combo of that with the mixed veggies. This was fine as well. At the end I have to say that I was pretty full.

I prefer places that are 100% vegetarian so I would like to be transparent about that (in other words I would rate this place higher out of 5 if it was 100% vego). Where places like come in especially useful for me are when dining with someone who refuses to eat vegetarian. Places such as this offer a reasonable compromise option.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: Not 100% vego

Great Healthy Food - Taste Great! - Edit

Was easy to find and not far at all from Wan Chai area. I had the Mushroom Minestrone Soup and also a split salad with Artichoke Salad and Cous Cous Vegetable Salad.

The Mushroom soup was not fatty and creamy, it was just mushroom broth and pieces of different mushroom. It looked good and tasted better! The Artichoke Salad was good too, as was the Cous Cous Vegetable salad. I am happy I went there tonight. I took some pics and posted there here as well.

It is basically a takeout place, with a small table to fit about 2-3 people if you want to eat it there as I did. I met the owners who were VERY helpful to get you the best dish. they do sell meat there, as their focus is HEALTHY food, not just vegetarian. However as soon as I said vegetarian, they were all over pointing out dishes and showing me that most of the food there is vegetarian. Both owners are really nice guys too, extremely friendly.

I would highly recommend this restaurant! I know I will be back again for more!

Pros: Great Healthy Food, Homemade Soups & Salads, Great Location

Cons: Not enough Table Space to Dine In

Love Tallore - Edit

Nice small new shop that offers homemade fresh soups without creams (dairy) and MSG. Great new addition to the area as a lot of their soups/pastas/salads are suitable for vegans and vegetarians.

Pros: fresh taste, affordable, friendly staff

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tallore Soups closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 947 times since Jun 2014.