Taj Mahal

( 1 review )

Philipstocksttaart, 6 (at Markt), Bruges, Belgium, 8000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian restaurant specializing in curries. Offers some vegetarian dishes but ask about dairy use. Open Tue-Sun 6:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by VeganRowH

Great food, slow service - Edit

Overall the food was delicious, in fact one of the best Indian meals I've had. I give this four stars. Even though I can't give 5 stars to a non-vegan venue, I would still only opt for four out of five.

Here's my account:

Food - waited at least 40mins for the main (after receiving the starters) but when it arrived it was outstanding. We had the Dahl and chickpea curry plus pillal rice and two rotis. They had great depth of flavour, wonderful subtlety to the spice, fluffy rice delicately flavoured. Crispy rotis nicely baked. Good sized portions. Cannot fault the food at all. I note that we came in at the same time as a few other tables and not everyone had slow service.

Note that you get rice as standard with the curries. We had 4 pappadums to start and got a very stingy portion of tasty pickle, I requested more and got a second very stingy portion. The pickle was served alongside a non-descript sugary sauce - maybe mango? I'm not sure, it was just odd.

Vegan choices - there were 4 main options - chickpea curry and Dahl (def recommend) plus a cauliflower and potato dish and a mixed veg curry (these I didn't try). There's a dedicated vegetarian menu with lots of paneer options.

Service - average. Not super attentive and they were understaffed which left one poor woman running ragged. Service was therefore slow, drink was forgotten and had to be reminded. Good knowledge of veganism and as such I found out the Naan has milk in so avoided this (roti and chapatis available instead).

Hygiene of staff was good, I'm a stickler for simply having the basics i.e. hair being tied back, staff wearing clean clothes/aprons, no nose/face wiping :)

Overall Cleanliness - good in the restaurant but toilet not good. Needs a good clean.

Other things - they don't take cards so cash only. How is this possible in the centre of Bruges??? Don't bother asking for tap water, it's a flat out "no", you can only buy it from the bottle. I dont know what it is about Bruges but I had this when I came years ago, it's just not a thing in Bruges and so I'm giving up trying to ask from this day fourth.

Pros: excellent food, good choices for vegans, dedicated vegetarian menu

Cons: slow service/food, cash only

Return to Bruges Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Taj Mahal closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.