CLOSED: Taiwan Brother 7 Vegan Hut - Lu Wan

Contact 021-61522837

Level B2, Taiwan Pavillion, SML Center, 618 Xu Jia Hui Road, Lu Wan District, Shanghai, China,

Opened Mar 2012, this restaurant provides vegan cuisine and offers a weekday set lunch menu in addition to an a la carte menu. Uses non-GMO sunflower oil for cooking. Has Wi-Fi and free delivery within 8 minute walk. Location is near exit no 2 of Da Pu Qiao(打浦桥)subway station. Reported closed or moved Nov 2015, please update HappyCow with changes. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by Johnc8

seems to be closed - may be temporary - Edit

Tried to go back here this week. It is one of the places I always visit when in Shanghai. Sadly it isn't there. Like China in general, the food court is always being renovated, and there is a large new restaurant where this used to be. Maybe it will reopen here - some storefronts are still covered and being worked on.

Convenient Vegan Food - Edit

All vegan restaurant (yay!) located right at the Dapuqiao subway station. We went there on the way back from a day trip to Qibao.

The key to finding the restaurant is to stay on the same level as the subway exit. Above is a big, multi-storey mall; if you go there, you'll be lost.

Food was pretty good, not great. But nice to know you're in a vegan restaurant.

Cheap and very fast! - Edit

Very good vegan option in Shanghai. Plenty of options and super friendly staff!

Pros: Friendly staff, Plenty of menu options, Big portions

Cons: Decoration and environment are not very cozy

Tasty & great value - Edit

I ate here almost every day during a study trip to Shanghai. The restaurant has a fairly extensive menu, but the set meals represent the best value. The food is different every day, and is amazing value. The restaurant is also conveniently located in a food court at Dapuqiao subway station. Highly recommended for a tasty but no frills dining experience.

Pros: Tasty food, Great value, Convenient location

Cons: Small restaurant, can get crowded

Good food, questionable service - Edit

When I eventually found the restaurant, which just takes some time wandering around the B2 floor of the shopping mall (on the same level as the subway ticket gates), I was greeted by one girl who was very smiley and helpful. The service of her front of house colleague did leave a little to be desired though if in honest. She was sat at one of the tables having a private conversation on her phone, and wasn't going to end it prematurely. So to place my order, I eventually had to get up and take my menu to the till, and order from the other girl once she'd finished with another customer.

Not to take away from the experience, I divulge that the food was excellent. It has more of a restaurant chain, than a home-cooked feel to it, but that is to be expected by the surroundings. It was still very good and reasonably-priced.

I will certainly eat here again when I'm back in town. But the reason that it doesn't receive 5 stars, is that only 50% of the front of house team was doing a good job when I came. Still a positive experience though.

Good vegan option - Edit

This restaurant was the first we tried out when we arrived in Shanghai and it didn't disappoint. The reviews that directed us into the mall to level B2 helped us find it and once we were down there, the bright yellow sign was easy to find! They have daily specials they change up on the board, but we sat and used the english menu. The first waitress spoke a little english and I realized later that she was asking if I wanted a lunch set. We had ordered ala carte. It was delicious though! It started picking up in business while we were waiting. My husband and I ordered the ginger "chicken" and the tea tree mushroom dishes. Both very good! We got tea with our meal. It's a small, fast food like dining area, but has a long menu of delicious vegan options! The second waiter that worked there spoke more english and we talked about Happy Cow. He asked if we were vegetarian and you could tell it was important to him to live this life.

Pros: Tasty, Proximity, Lots of options

Cons: Limited seating

Great Value - Edit

I loved this place. Went there twice for lunch and would have gone back if I was in Shanghai longer. One time the person taking my order spoke pretty much no English, but another time there was a staff member there who did speak English. The menu is written in English, so you can just point. The set lunch of the day is a great value- soup, white rice, and 3-4 samples of various dishes. It was 25RMB, so about $4. My main criticism would be that a lot of the food was really greasy and heavy. I got some dumplings (side dish, last part of the menu) that were good if you don't want a lot of grease.

It's in a really big mall, but if you go in the entrance next to a Costa Coffee and go down the escalator to level B2, you will see the yellow sign near the escalator. There is also a giant grocery store in this mall with lots of international food. Worth a visit.

Pros: Really cheap, Some great dishes

Cons: Some dishes are super greasy, Small- little seating

Cheap place to eat good - not great - food - Edit

Located in the Food Court of the big mall facing Tianzifang, this restaurant offers tons of different dishes for very reasonable prices. I went there twice during the last four days, so you can probably tell, that I quite like this restaurant. The staff is really helpful and speaks English fluently and would assist us while we made our decision on what to order.
We ordered some mock meats as well as some vegetable dishes. In my opinion, the fake meat wasn't really that good, I've eaten "more realistic" fakes at other places, but they still tasted fine, just not very convincing. The vegetables dishes were really good, but I would have liked to add some salt to it, they could have been seasoned a little stronger.
I loved that the employee there asked as if we wanted the GMO to be left out though. :)
All in all, very good experiences. The food is totally worth its money, but I wouldn't go here for a date or for another special occasion since the athmosphere is quite loud and "mall-like". I also think that tastewise, there are better places in Shanghai (which are usually more expensive).

Pros: cheap prices, nice employees, located close to Tianzifang

Cons: nor very convincing mock meat, crowded fast food restaurant athmosphere, seasoning could be a little stronger

Excellent - Edit

This restaurant has a wide variety of vegan food, both Western, and Chinese. There use of eggplants, and yams show that dishes that I craved as a carnivore (sweet & sour chicken, and pork), can be well suited to vegan alternatives. The prompt service, and moderate prices are also highly impressive.

2nd Home - Edit

This place is like my 2nd home! It's near my place and its right next to the dapuqiao station so I come here often. Prices are very reasonable for what you get. If you get the set meal (26rmb), you get white rice (no brown Ive asked) 2 veggie sides, a rice soup and either pepper beef steak w/ capsicums, sweet & sour fish, or a special dish of the day. That's not bad!

My personal favorite is the tea tree mushroom dish. It's got sichuan peppercorns and chili. It may be spicy for some but definitely not for me.

Also, the staff is always all smiles and super cheerful. One employee especially is very helpful sweet. He speaks English AND Spanish, way to go!

Pros: Good value set, Tasty food, Friendly Employee

Vegan Hut is really good - Edit

[edit by staff- see ToS]. Having said that, the food here is just really top notch stuff, unlike some other vegan places the focus seems a little less on recreating meats and western style food, and more on veganising Chinese classics, and the result is just brilliant.

Service was really good and surprisingly un-evangelical, which is always nice. They can't call it 'Loving Hut' as the Chinese government sees non-Asian religions as threatening to harmonious society and blah

Pros: Great Food, Nice vibe, Service

Cons: Uneasy feeling

Great Place! - Edit

My boyfriend and I have been here upwards of 5 times and it never gets old! Cheap food (especially for the area), excellent selection, and very tasty! Try the vegan hard boiled eggs or one of their large hot and sour soups! Mmm~! Excellent faux meat.

Tasty, friendly, inexpensive - Edit

This little shop has super friendly workers and yummy food. They're happy to speak English and accommodate requests for no MSG if you like. The food is tasty, inexpensive, Chinese fare - I had a big mock seafood soup, and paid 38 rmb - and that was one of the more expensive things on the menu. The atmosphere is a bit food court though.

Pros: Inexpensive, Friendly workers

Cons: Food court

great good at a reasonable price - Edit

So glad to have found this gem! I ordered the eggplant Basil and the seasonal vegetable( bok choy) without MSG and it was tasty! Portions are just the right size. The waiter was very friendly and spoke good English.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, quick service

Fantastic - Edit

This is a great restaurant! The food is amazing and the service is excellent. I spent 3 months in Shanghai and am a very fussy veggie. However, I found this restaurant and one of the waiters spoke great English making is very easy for me to enjoy my evening meals.
I only have 2 very minor grips:
1. The restaurant closes at 9pm. Very often they had to stay open as people turned up just before closing. One night, they even got the chef to come back to make me a take away!
2. The restaurant is in a shopping centre. During cold weather the restaurant can be cold. Be prepared.
The staff in the restaurant are very passionate about being vegetarians and talked to me about the Happy Cow web site and other local restaurants I could try.
The restaurant is very small. Their selection of drinks is limited but they are happy for you to bring your own (diet coke for me!).
I took my family (who are not vegetarians) and they loved the food. It is also very reasonably priced.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Not expensive

Cons: Quite small - limited seating, Open in shopping centre so can be cold

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Taiwan Brother 7 Vegan Hut - Lu Wan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.