CLOSED: Tai-i Vegetariano

• Vegetarian

Contact 4440641

Ave Petit Thouars 5232, Miraflores (at opposite Inca Market), Lima, Peru,

Offers a daily menu costs around 5.50 soles includes choice of soup or starter, main plate, dessert, and drink. Has snow cones with fruit flavors and fresh juices. Has a photo album of menu. SEPT 2015 REPORTED SHUT. Call for hours as they fluctuate.

Category: Chinese, Indian, Juice bar, Take-out, Peruvian

First Review by Pernilleskokken

Awful time in Tai-I - Edit

I ate there once (in July 2014), thinking it was a vegetarian restaurant specialized in Asiatic food. In fact, it was only a comedor, and not a good one.
The service was unfriendly, very slow, and all the tables were dirty (and they only cleaned mine from stains and leftovers when I insist for them to do it).
But the worst was the food: cold, not vegan (even though I asked for) and flavourless (at least, what I could eat). Even the aji (chili) was bad, I didn't know it was possible.

Maybe I tried it at a wrong time, but the fact is I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.

Cons: Awful service, Bad food

not so vegan friendly - Edit

Like most peruvian vegetarian establishments you have to ask what can be made vegan. Has 10 sole menu for soup/salad, dessert, and main dish. Was told that one dish had no dairy, eggs, or seafood. When it arrived it had chunks of egg in the dish. The server said that it was only a little bit of egg and that none of the main dishes could be made vegan. At that point we paid for the salad and left.

Cons: serves seafood.

Took one look at what arrived on my table.... - Edit

Well to be honest this has to be the worst vegetarian restaurant I have been to in nearly 30 years. Fortunately it was very reasonably priced, so having had a few spoonfuls we decided to pay the bill and eat elsewhere. It had a very noisy TV on, quite unfriendly staff (sorry) and with the exception of the salad which was edible, the other food was bland, gelatinous, and certainly didn't inspire my desire to eat. Felt like we made a positive decision to cut our losses and leave the restaurant rather than feel obliged to compost the meal through my body. Sorry if this comes across as negative amongst other positive reviews. Perhaps it was a bad day there....

nice, unassuming Chinese-Peruvian spot - Edit

Nice, friendly little spot with Sino-Peruvian dishes, near several large tourist markets (but still easy to find). Had lunch there a few times and was never disappointed!

Pros: easy to walk to, cheap, filling

Cons: slightly oily

Great place. - Edit

Has an extensive set menu. 4 entre choices and 5 mains to choose from. Dessert and a drink are also included. Food was really nice. This place was quite busy and they only serve each item on the menu til it runs out, so go early. Open 12-6 every day - although we went on Sunday and they were closed.

Pros: Many choices, Great food, Friendly staff

Tai-I Veegetariano - Edit

This restaurant closes very early in the evenings although they opened it for us (6.30 p.m.) after we were persuaded by a neighbour to ring the bell. Very generous portions and good food. Three course menus from 7 sols.

Pros: Excellent value, Good food, Central location

Cons: difficulty understanding owner's Spanish, Entrance off putting

Take care with the tiny bits of meat - Edit

this place says it's vegetarian but in a vegetarian lomo (gluten meat) saltado, served with fried rice, the rice containes little cubes of meat! And this was not at all obvious from the menu. So beware what you eat or make sure you ask for plain boiled rice with your meal.
Otherwise the restaurant has an extensive menu with many choices for the set almuerzo. Perfect for a relaxing break from shopping at the inca market.

Pros: Lots of Choice, Close to Inca Market

Cons: Meat in the fried rice

2 Responses

Return to Lima Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tai-i Vegetariano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1881 times since Feb 2008.