Taco Bus - Food Truck

• Veg-friendly
Contact 813-232-5889

913 E Hillsborough Ave, Tampa, Florida, USA, 33604

Serves meat, vegan options available. Taco trucks operating at multiple Florida cities. Offers a variety of fillings including tofu, vegan cheese, tempeh, butternut squash and steak strips. Vegan items are cooked on the same grill as meat. Rice, beans, guacamole and salsa are vegan.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Mexican, Take-out only, Non-veg

First Review by Jessica3932

Disappointed - Edit

There were so many glowing reviews I thought I would try it out. The person who took my order was very rude and impatient with me as I tried to order. They were out of Daiya cheese and they only shared that with me after I had mentioned several times that I wanted it, so I had to order something completely different. The person I spoke with, also spoke very very low and didn't try to speak up when I was obviously struggling to understand them. The food wasn't that good. Overall, I did not enjoy my experience and will not be going back.

Pros: Had vegan options

Cons: Out of items, Very rude staff

great for vegans and non vegans alike! - Edit

I decided to try Taco Bus after reading so many glowing reviews on both Happy Cow and Yelp. I'm so glad I did! I ordered online and picked it up hot and fresh. I had the quesadilla with vegan cheese and the vegan steak strips. Absolutely amazing. It could have fooled a non-veg any day! The flavors were amazing and no weird textures.

Excellent! Multiple Vegan Options - Edit

Love love love this place! My favorite item on the menu is their vegan steak strip burrito with daiya cheez and guac. They have multiple began options like faux steak, marinated tofu, and tempeh. I've never been disappointed. Great for a meal on the go, just call ahead of time and go pick up your order. Their pineapple water is also out of this world. Did I mention they stay open until 3am?

Pros: Many Vegan Options, Reasonably Priced, Easy Pickup

Cons: Can Be Expensive When Substituting Items, $12 For

Excellent Vegan-Mexican Food - Edit

My husband and I had lunch at Taco Bus while visiting the Tampa area. We were starving when we arrived, and left totally happy. I had two tofu tacos. They were delicious! The seasoning on the tofu was perfect. The homemade hot sauce was quite good, too. My husband had a burrito with the vegan steak strips. The steak strips tasted great. If we had more time in town, we would've gone back for a second visit.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 28, 2014

Pros: Tasty food, Reasonably priced

Vegan paradise - Edit

My wife found this place on Happy Cow last night. She liked it so much that she took me there tonight after I arrived from Virginia for our long weekend getaway. We are used to searching for vegan fare in the dark corners of menus. This place prominently has vegan options gloriously displayed front and center. She had a tofu burrito the first night. Tonight she had,of all things, a butternut squash burrito. They were both awesome. Since we were at the Taco Bus I had the tempeh tacos. They were so good I went back for a third. I tried both flour and corn tortillas and liked them both. They have bottles of their home made salsa on the table. The red is mild and the green is hot. Both are very very good. Highly recommend the Taco Bus for anyone looking for flavorful vegan food. Also recommend the Hillsborough location and eating outside in front of the bus in the little garden to capture the funky ambiance. Nice and helpful staff.

Pros: Excellent vegan choices, Funky ambiance, Great staff

Cons: They aren't in Northern Virginia

Love the bus!! - Edit

I used to love The Bus but I don't eat here very much anymore. For one they no longer serve vegan tamales. They don't have weekend specials at all anymore. IMHO they are too concerned with rolling out new locations. Also, be warned that the only truly vegan option is beans and rice as far as fillers for tacos/burritos/etc. I contacted the owner in regards to allergies and he informed me that they do cook their tempeh, vegan strips, etc on the same grill as the regular meat! :-/ On a positive note they now carry vegan cheese.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 10, 2013

Pros: online ordering, Vegan cheese

Cons: They cook vegan items with meat

WoW!!! - Edit

Wasn't expecting much from this place and was more than pleasantly surprised! The tempeh tacos are absolutely delish!! If you are vegan make sure you say no cheese. Everything was awesome!!

Pros: vegan friendly, vegetarian friendly

Tempeh is LEGIT - Edit

I loved the taco bus when I was a meat-eater, and now that my husband and I have transitioned to toe vegan lifestyle, it's so nice to know this is one of the places I won't have to give up! I recently went with a coworker who tried the tempeh and is now a believer! The tempeh tacos are probably the best I've had, and better than I ever would have imagined during my life as a meat-eater!!
I love knowing there are places I can go to with my friends and family who eat meat and we all can be happy and satisfied :)

Pros: filling, TEMPEH!, online ordering and pickup!

Cons: isn't closer to my house!

Light mexican food - Edit

I really like taco bus because the portions are big but the food is light so you don't feel sluggish after eating them. Inside there is a sign that read "by vegan we mean no broth, no meat, no dairy, no lard" followed by a list of the vegetarian items on the menu and a list of the vegan items on the menu.
They offer texturized soy protein, tofu, and tempeh.
I got the burrito and it came with cabbage in it which was something I have never seen before but it was delicious.
I was not super impressed by the vegan tamales but that might just be because I don't like tamales. The restaurant itself is not very nice but they keep it clean. It is also kind of confusing how you order if you have never been there before. I would say the price is moderate. There is always a long line outside but it goes pretty fast and the food is pretty fast.

Pros: Fast , Healthy , 3 types of vegan meat

Cons: Long lines , A little pricey

Return to Tampa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Taco Bus - Food Truck closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1649 times since Dec 2011.