CLOSED: Table Verte

212-539-0231

127 E 7th St (at East Village, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10009

Vegetarian French bistro established late 2012. Offers vegetarian, vegan, as well gluten free food. Sample menu dishes include a mixed beans cassoulet, roasted squash soup with crispy sage, and french style desserts. A large nature mural decorates the wall. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, French, BYOB

First Review by sglcklch

Exceptional experience - Edit

I had an exceptional experience at Table Verte in East Village Manhattan. The bistro is owned by Chef Didier Pawlicki, whom I had the pleasure of briefly meeting, and the executive chef is a first generation Norwegian American named Ken Larsen. The two have worked together to create a diverse menu featuring an impeccable selection of French vegetarian and vegan dishes. Chef Larsen was kind enough to present the majority of our courses to us and explain the story behind each. He said that Chef Didier will often think up an ingredient to use and ask Ken to create delicious ways to use it. Then the two will work together until they create the perfect dish using a creative combination of different healthy, natural ingredients.

I was thrilled to be able to try more than nine different unique dishes by the two chefs, including three decadent desserts. Some of the dishes I tasted included: Cassoulet Vegetalien (vegan beans stewed with roasted shallots), Choux Fleur Roti (roasted cauliflower with rosemary scented quinoa, roasted yam, sauteed greens with a fig and caper sauce), an incredible dish of brussel sprouts with strawberries, and a beet and lentil dish, among many others. Two of the three desserts included the Tarte au Chocolate vegetalienne (vegan chocolate tart, dark Callebaut chocolate avocado “ganache” with rice, almond and raisin crust), and Aloe Temptation (an exotic dessert using poached aloe vera with saffron and red wine, plated with banana and coconut milk).

With every bite, I could taste Chef Larsen’s attention to detail and his passion for healthy, unique cooking. He generously took the time to talk with us as we finished our desserts about his journey as a chef, becoming a vegetarian and ultimately becoming a vegetarian chef. Before becoming a vegetarian, he worked as a chef at steak houses! Can you believe it? What a transformation! And he’s happy to share about it with anyone. He has such evident passion for creating delicious, healthy, unparalleled food that appeals to everyone. It is an important goal for him to think up and produce food that appeals to vegans, vegetarians, omnivores and carnivores. He explained to us how he wants Table Verte to be approachable for everyone, and for the food to be enjoyable for anyone with any type of palate.

Although the restaurant is small, it is filled with passionate energy, hunger for fine dining, and excellent food.

Solid restaurant - Edit

As a French vegetarian restaurant, they do use a fair bit of dairy products in their food, but I thought they did a great job in accommodating vegans as well because half of the menu was inherently vegan. Gluten-free options were also available. But since the menu was small to begin with, it wasn't like there was a lot to choose from even they did have something for different dietary restrictions.

My partner and I ordered a vegetable soup and the lentil salad for starters, then the stuffed squash and the roasted cauliflower with quinoa and sweet potatoes for entrees. Everything was tasty except for the soup, which was a little too salty and brothy for my taste. My favorite dish of the evening, though, was the lentils. They were well-seasoned and very hearty. Overall I found the portion size quite generous. Normally I like spicy, exotic cuisines and don't care for western food too much, but this meal had reminded me that simple ingredients with the right seasoning could also be ever so satisfying.

The place was pretty small, so the tables were cramped. Good for us, we came on a Sunday evening and there were only two other tables dining. Lighting was dim with candles lit up. All in all, it was a decent restaurant, but I thought it would suit people that are OK with dairy products more just because they could then try the typically French dishes that rely on butter, milk, and cheese.

Pros: good food

Cons: small menu

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Table Verte closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.